• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Can you hear It?

Did you think the OU game was a very winnable game before the game started? Based on the prediction thread, nobody did except for a handful. I'm one of the more optimistic people on this board and I had OU winning by 17 or 21. All teams make mistakes throughout every game. Good teams don't let those mistakes destroy the entire game, and that has been the problem with NU for a very long time. One mistake and the entire thing goes to crap. The last 3 games, that has not happened. So we'll see what happens against MSU.

I’ll add myself to the list and picked OU to win 49-24.

1632245677229.png

Listen. No listen very carefully. Can you hear it? You may still need to “strain” some to hear it, but if you try hard enough, really try, the silence is no longer deafening (this is not the Bob Diaco type of strain). Now even the most objective fan or naysayer must acknowledge there is a new and distinct background sound around Husker Football. I can hear it like whispers in the hall, people not yet present but their voices emanating from beyond the corridor. Will it reach a sustained volume of both local and national interest or be more similar to the excitement of adolescents in a high school hallway passing between classes?

I propose that for the first time in the Scott Frost era, at least recently, something tangibly positive and now measurable with Big Red is in process. No doubt Frost’s time has been disappointing to all and I am sure especially Scott. Some of the problems have been self-induced, others unfortunate. These appear to have served as a learning experience for Frost. It appears Frost has been listening. Still, he would tell you there is much work to do.

I do now see sound evidence over the last 3 games (maturation in Adrian Martinez’s decision making, improved commitment to a ground game without regard to immediate outcome, emergence of multiple difference makers on offense and further progression of a steadying higher level defense) the noise is about to grow.

I hope all Nebraskans embrace the good in this re-emerging noise. We have been through years of din, disappointment, inconsistent play and questionable administrative and coaching decisions. The reverberations around Husker Football increase this weekend as NU goes on the road and soundly defeats Sparty.

GBR
Is there a "W" in the word noise?

This is nicely written, very descriptive and enjoyable to read. However, IMHO it feels like moral victories are what some are labelling as signs of progress. The OU win was tossed aside by the same bad mistakes that have plagued the team for Frost's tenure. You can't kick the yips out of a fractured kicker, the next guy should have already been up. He is slow to change when the evidence is staring him in the face. Costing winnable game after game. This offensive line is talented but they are performing horribly. Have for a while but once again, don't change anything just keep it the same. For the first time I feel Austin is not getting it done and needs help (like this week) . I just don't see other head coaches give this much rope to players/and coaches who repeatedly error at their position.

I think this Michigan State game is scary. In year two, game four, of an impossible rebuild State looks like the team Husker fans have been hoping for. Speaking of hoping, I'm hoping for a win, just not seeing it happen with no field goal kicker and an offensive line that is mistake prone. Chins has the D playing like I thought they might be capable of. Progress noted on his side of the ball. Not so much on the offensive side of the ball and just forget field goals and extra points. Or, do the unthinkable Scott- play the 2nd string guy. he can't be any worse.

It has to be different.

This ‘corner turn’ looks different to me. For starters, I was expecting it. This wasn’t a surprise to me.
Hopefully you're right. We've been in a turning circle for a while now, not knowing how to get off. I'm getting car sick.

This is nicely written, very descriptive and enjoyable to read. However, IMHO it feels like moral victories are what some are labelling as signs of progress. The OU win was tossed aside by the same bad mistakes that have plagued the team for Frost's tenure. You can't kick the yips out of a fractured kicker, the next guy should have already been up. He is slow to change when the evidence is staring him in the face. Costing winnable game after game. This offensive line is talented but they are performing horribly. Have for a while but once again, don't change anything just keep it the same. For the first time I feel Austin is not getting it done and needs help (like this week) . I just don't see other head coaches give this much rope to players/and coaches who repeatedly error at their position.

I think this Michigan State game is scary. In year two, game four, of an impossible rebuild State looks like the team Husker fans have been hoping for. Speaking of hoping, I'm hoping for a win, just not seeing it happen with no field goal kicker and an offensive line that is mistake prone. Chins has the D playing like I thought they might be capable of. Progress noted on his side of the ball. Not so much on the offensive side of the ball and just forget field goals and extra points. Or, do the unthinkable Scott- play the 2nd string guy. he can't be any worse.

So Culp started the game by making a 51 yarder, so at that point you gotta think he's good. He missed another 50 yarder, but that happens on such a long kick. After he missed his third FG, that's when Frost replaced him, and that guy gets his XP blocked. I'm not sure what else you want him to do with that, but we'll see who the kicker is in East Lansing.

I can feel it. I can tell by Frost's demeanor he can. I am also hesitant. But I think NU will win.

Let's stop short to say NU committed to the run game. Not yet. But that's okay. We can and should be able to pass on this team. Stack the box and stop Walker.

So Culp started the game by making a 51 yarder, so at that point you gotta think he's good. He missed another 50 yarder, but that happens on such a long kick. After he missed his third FG, that's when Frost replaced him, and that guy gets his XP blocked. I'm not sure what else you want him to do with that, but we'll see who the kicker is in East Lansing.
You make a good point. Now, should they have been in the fourth game of the season during mid game on a huge stage to experiment with the next kicker? Or should this have been worked on during the Fordham and Buffalo games where the smart move would have been. They have known about the value of an adequate kicker since the Colorado game in year two. I know, I know, I know that Culp was an all league kicker last year. But.....that was last year and it was a pretty small sample size both in number of kicks and range of kicks.

You make a good point. Now, should they have been in the fourth game of the season during mid game on a huge stage to experiment with the next kicker? Or should this have been worked on during the Fordham and Buffalo games where the smart move would have been. They have known about the value of an adequate kicker since the Colorado game in year two. I know, I know, I know that Culp was an all league kicker last year. But.....that was last year and it was a pretty small sample size both in number of kicks and range of kicks.

I wouldn't say it was a small sample size at all. He missed 2 kicks all of last year. He was pretty awesome to be honest. It's clear he's got the yips at this point and I have no clue what should be done with him at this point. He's a really good kicker normally, but he's terrible right now. I honestly don't know who should be the kicker this week. I'd assume it'll be Meyer, but who knows?

So three full years to train a QB and yet we're still 2-2. Progress? hmmm... Maybe by year six we'll begin to turn the corner on the kicking game.

So three full years to train a QB and yet we're still 2-2. Progress? hmmm... Maybe by year six we'll begin to turn the corner on the kicking game.
Call it what it is, the kid is having issues between his ears right now. Defintiely possesses the physical tools but his confidence is really low. All B1G last year, and probably worst in the league to date this year. We would definitely benefit from a FT ST coach.

Call it what it is, the kid is having issues between his ears right now. Defintiely possesses the physical tools but his confidence is really low. All B1G last year, and probably worst in the league to date this year. We would definitely benefit from a FT ST coach.
How many games is Frost willing to lose over poor special teams play? Knowing full well Culp is in a bad spot, he goes ahead and trots him out anyway in the biggest game NU has played in years and for all intents and purposes it cost him a signature win against the #3 team in the country. How can you not have two dudes on the roster that can kick it through the uprights? ....Or in this case not even one.
He's had 3 weeks now to find another dude on campus that can kick a field goal.

Last edited:
How many games is Frost willing to lose over poor special teams play? Knowing full well Culp is in a bad spot, he goes ahead and trots him out anyway in the biggest game NU has played in years and for all intents and purposes it cost him a signature win against the #3 team in the country. How can you not have two dudes on the roster that can kick it through the uprights? ....Or in this case not even one.
He's had 3 weeks now to find another dude on campus that can kick a field goal.

So after week 1, you would just give up on your all Big 10 kicker? All right

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back