• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Can you hear It?

KCRed

Recruit
2 Year Member
Listen. No listen very carefully. Can you hear it? You may still need to “strain” some to hear it, but if you try hard enough, really try, the silence is no longer deafening (this is not the Bob Diaco type of strain). Now even the most objective fan or naysayer must acknowledge there is a new and distinct background sound around Husker Football. I can hear it like whispers in the hall, people not yet present but their voices emanating from beyond the corridor. Will it reach a sustained volume of both local and national interest or be more similar to the excitement of adolescents in a high school hallway passing between classes?

I propose that for the first time in the Scott Frost era, at least recently, something tangibly positive and now measurable with Big Red is in process. No doubt Frost’s time has been disappointing to all and I am sure especially Scott. Some of the problems have been self-induced, others unfortunate. These appear to have served as a learning experience for Frost. It appears Frost has been listening. Still, he would tell you there is much work to do.

I do now see sound evidence over the last 3 games (maturation in Adrian Martinez’s decision making, improved commitment to a ground game without regard to immediate outcome, emergence of multiple difference makers on offense and further progression of a steadying higher level defense) the noise is about to grow.

I hope all Nebraskans embrace the good in this re-emerging noise. We have been through years of din, disappointment, inconsistent play and questionable administrative and coaching decisions. The reverberations around Husker Football increase this weekend as NU goes on the road and soundly defeats Sparty.

GBR

I agree with the sentiment of your post, but if we play poorly vs. Sparty, it will all be back. I consider this game vs. Michigan State as the most important game of the Scott Frost era. Nebraska football is at the most important stage of a rebuild...winning an important game on the road. I consider this a must win.

Sparty is still in a rebuild as well regardless of their deceiving 3-0 record. 3 wins over below average teams doesn't mean much. But we don't have much to hang our hat on either, other than playing Oklahoma close. It will be very tight.

Last edited:
I think we beat Sparty too because how could we ever be intimidated by MSU? I haven’t seen them play one game but I think we’re better. We win Sat. And then this thing gets rolling.
Hope you are right. We weren’t intimidated by Illinois either. I think we are their only win on the season.Keep the faith.GBR.

I think we beat Sparty too because how could we ever be intimidated by MSU? I haven’t seen them play one game but I think we’re better. We win Sat. And then this thing gets rolling.
Watched their replay vs. Miami... Miami is as undisciplined as any team I've seen in a while. That's a really bad Miami team.

Hope you are right. We weren’t intimidated by Illinois either. I think we are their only win on the season.Keep the faith.GBR.
I was at the Illinois game. That was the hottest (temperature-wise) game I have ever sat through. Not an excuse for our loss, but it impacted that game for certain. Illinois had huge cooling fans and a ton of shelter for their players... Nebraska had make shift tents that did very little. I've never been that hot in my life (and I was in the stands)..can't imagine what it was like on the field.

Last edited:
Listen. No listen very carefully. Can you hear it? You may still need to “strain” some to hear it, but if you try hard enough, really try, the silence is no longer deafening (this is not the Bob Diaco type of strain). Now even the most objective fan or naysayer must acknowledge there is a new and distinct background sound around Husker Football. I can hear it like whispers in the hall, people not yet present but their voices emanating from beyond the corridor. Will it reach a sustained volume of both local and national interest or be more similar to the excitement of adolescents in a high school hallway passing between classes?

I propose that for the first time in the Scott Frost era, at least recently, something tangibly positive and now measurable with Big Red is in process. No doubt Frost’s time has been disappointing to all and I am sure especially Scott. Some of the problems have been self-induced, others unfortunate. These appear to have served as a learning experience for Frost. It appears Frost has been listening. Still, he would tell you there is much work to do.

I do now see sound evidence over the last 3 games (maturation in Adrian Martinez’s decision making, improved commitment to a ground game without regard to immediate outcome, emergence of multiple difference makers on offense and further progression of a steadying higher level defense) the noise is about to grow.

I hope all Nebraskans embrace the good in this re-emerging noise. We have been through years of din, disappointment, inconsistent play and questionable administrative and coaching decisions. The reverberations around Husker Football increase this weekend as NU goes on the road and soundly defeats Sparty.

GBR
I like your attitude. Not sure I would speak your last sentence, though, until after the game. If we continue the trajectory we've been on over the last 3 games, the sky is the limit. But I think the overwhelming majority of Husker fans wants to see the evidence on the field (each game) before we start marking down W's in ink.

I can subscribe to the OP's perspective, and yet...

The true proof that we're getting beyond being "this close" will be that the recent progress continues, and that the continuation of the same struggles stops (or at least decreases significantly)... ultimately leading to more wins than losses.

MSU provides a great opportunity for Frost and company to begin that new narrative.

GBR!!!

Last edited:

It has to be different.

This ‘corner turn’ looks different to me. For starters, I was expecting it. This wasn’t a surprise to me.
I think so too. The defense is significantly better than any one we've had since Pelini, and I don't see them folding against MSU. We gotta stop the run and force that Sophomore QB to make some throws. Our offense should be able to move the ball on them at a decent rate, I think it'll be a low-scoring close game

I think so too. The defense is significantly better than any one we've had since Pelini, and I don't see them folding against MSU. We gotta stop the run and force that Sophomore QB to make some throws. Our offense should be able to move the ball on them at a decent rate, I think it'll be a low-scoring close game

At this point I don’t care about style points.

Just win and come back to Lincoln 3-2 and start getting ready for Northwestern.

We lost the game because of the same issues that have afflicted this team for 3 1/2 years; special teams, poor offensive line play, dumb mistakes. I can't get excited about a loss in a very winnable game. If the Huskers beat a good MSU team Saturday and the above issues are better, then maybe I feel differently. As other people have stated above, string a few good games together then maybe the conversation changes.

We lost the game because of the same issues that have afflicted this team for 3 1/2 years; special teams, poor offensive line play, dumb mistakes. I can't get excited about a loss in a very winnable game. If the Huskers beat a good MSU team Saturday and the above issues are better, then maybe I feel differently. As other people have stated above, string a few good games together then maybe the conversation changes.

Did you think the OU game was a very winnable game before the game started? Based on the prediction thread, nobody did except for a handful. I'm one of the more optimistic people on this board and I had OU winning by 17 or 21. All teams make mistakes throughout every game. Good teams don't let those mistakes destroy the entire game, and that has been the problem with NU for a very long time. One mistake and the entire thing goes to crap. The last 3 games, that has not happened. So we'll see what happens against MSU.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back