• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Can a center get better at snaps.

I know he used the word "we" a few times, but then he spent a minute focusing on his center without using his name.

Imo...and I know Im in the minority on this one, but I don't think Matt has played well enough to start calling out his linemates. At times, he's been brutal. If hes going to call out one...call each linemate out because collectively, they have not been good.

He said it's up to the whole offensive line to help him

He said it's up to the whole offensive line to help him

I know he said that, and there was a lot of "we" talk as well. But he still managed to singularly call him out...just not by name. I just don't think he has a leg to stand on in terms of calling out one player. I know his intentions weren't malicious, and I think he was "trying" to do what captains do, but I'm not exactly sure what he thought he'd get out of it. If anything, and I'm Jurgens, I look at Farniok and tell him to go watch his own film, because it's not very pretty.

Like I said, it seems I'm in the minority here on the subject and I accept it. I just think there are better ways to communicate something sometimes. Everyone in the state of Nebraska knows CJ needs to get it right. Nobody knows that more than him.

Last edited:
I know he said that, and there was a lot of "we" talk as well. But he still managed to singularly call him out...just not by name. I just don't think he has a leg to stand on in terms of calling out one player. I know his intentions weren't malicious, and I think he was "trying" to do what captains do, but I'm not exactly sure what he thought he'd get out of it. If anything, and I'm Jurgens, I look at Farniok and tell him to go watch his own film, because it's not very pretty.

Like I said, it seems I'm in the minority here on the subject and I accept it. I just think there are better ways to communicate something sometimes. Everyone in the state of Nebraska knows CJ needs to get it right. Nobody knows that more than him.

I don't know, I think you're looking a little too much into this.

I don't think Matt's the guy you put in front of a mic as the team's press representative. Somehow I think if you confronted him with "you called out the center" he'd be appalled. I don't think you can parse his words too much farther than 1) it's a problem, 2) they want to fix it.

Based on the fact that you had Wegener pegged as the starting center in late August, despite the fact that he's about 5th on the depth chart, I'll put my faith in Scott to make the right choice as to who should play center. Thank you very much
Says the guy that regular says he believes others should be playing and follows it up with 'but I trust the coaches'. You were also the guy that was high on Cam Jurgens at center. So it's no wonder you are sensitive to Farniok saying anything contradictory. Jurgens wasn't strong enough to survive being blown off the ball in the spring game. Sure he is adequate at blocking linebackers, every tight end should be, But as the center he is something to be desired with his reliability. Farniok was perhaps saying a bit too much publicly, but it is a window into what he is thinking. There is no way he is alone with that sentiment.

And I'll own the comment about Wegener being the best option. The staff previously said he was not playing this year due to some technical reason. The guy is a stud.

Last edited:
Says the guy that regular says he believes others should be playing and follows it up with 'but I trust the coaches'. You were also the guy that was high on Cam Jurgens at center. So it's no wonder you are sensitive to Farniok saying anything contradictory. Jurgens wasn't strong enough to survive being blown off the ball in the spring game. Sure he is adequate at blocking linebackers, every tight end should be, But as the center he is something to be desired with his reliability. Farniok was perhaps saying a bit too much publicly, but it is a window into what he is thinking. There is no way he is alone with that sentiment.

And I'll own the comment about Wegener being the best option. The staff previously said he was not playing this year due to some technical reason. The guy is a stud.
I stand by my word and think Jurgens will be a stud at the position. I've NEVER said anyone should be playing over the current group, but I have stated that I'd like to see others get reps, but there must be a reason why they are not. So stop with the BS and making things up. You've done it quite a bit with others lately, and it's a bad look.

Sensitive? No, I'm just saying it's rather hypocritical for calling out his freshman center when he has been fair to downright terrible depending upon the competition. As for Farniok's "window into what he is thinking"...well, he may think that, but again, Farniok and crew have their own messes to clean up.

Lastly, why are you referring to the spring game and claiming CJ couldn't block anyone other than linebackers? That is the most bizarre thing I've read in a while, but I'm sure not surprised. I've watched enough of Jurgens and the line play to say with 100% confidence he can block anyone, and as well as anyone on this team.

"Wegener is a stud" <<< Holy hell, I've read everything now.

Last edited:
I don't think Matt's the guy you put in front of a mic as the team's press representative. Somehow I think if you confronted him with "you called out the center" he'd be appalled. I don't think you can parse his words too much farther than 1) it's a problem, 2) they want to fix it.
Agreed. The kid needs to be coached up on his communication skills because he didn't make himself or anyone else look any better with those statements. I am of the mind that you keep comments about your peers behind closed doors. Address it in the meeting room or on the practice field.

Last edited:
Jurgens got knocked around in the spring, but you go ahead with your dream. The guy could eventually be great. But right now he is not a major blocker nor reliable enough on snaps.

You also bag on Farniok who isn't near as bad as your expert diagnosis alleges. The guy would be better at guard perhaps, like people have suggested.

Last edited:

Jurgens got knocked around in the spring, but you go ahead with your dream. The guy could eventually be great. But right now he is not a major blocker nor reliable enough on snaps.

You also bag on Farniok who isn't near as bad as your expert diagnosis alleges. The guy would be better at guard perhaps, like people have suggested.
Who cares what people did in the spring? My dream? I have no idea what you are talking about. But dont go around making stuff up in attempt to support your abrasive, contrarian views. Its tiresome and interferes with good debate. You support Farniok today but a couple of weeks ago you said the entire starting unit was terrible and lacked heart. You claim to be consistent, but you are nothing of the sort. You are all over the map; so much so it is damned near comical if it wasnt so pathetic. So please, spare us.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back