• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Can a center get better at snaps.

Walztrent

Red Shirt
2 Year Member
Everyone is complaining about the center and his snaps but to me it will get better with time. It looks like when the snaps are high hes coming out of his stance to fast and not snapping the ball first and then coming out. More like a timing issue or he’s more worried about the block than getting the snap back to the qb. Those two things should get better just don’t see them getting a lot better this year.

Everyone is complaining about the center and his snaps but to me it will get better with time. It looks like when the snaps are high hes coming out of his stance to fast and not snapping the ball first and then coming out. More like a timing issue or he’s more worried about the block than getting the snap back to the qb. Those two things should get better just don’t see them getting a lot better this year.
He can get better, but going to be hard this season. Other teams now are going to put a guy right on him to get him to mess up his snaps. Going to be a bumpy ride the rest of the season.

I don't believe they will get better.

I believe the coaches are at fault for letting Jurgens off the hook for bad snaps, for weeks on end. It is not that hard to correct the issue but clearly they haven't insisted that Jurgens do enough work to fix it..

I believe the coaches are at fault for letting Jurgens off the hook for bad snaps, for weeks on end. It is not that hard to correct the issue but clearly they haven't insisted that Jurgens do enough work to fix it..
You are right they aren’t benching him for a series which might help. It might also hurt as well have to believe frost can tell what is needed in game to get guys to change. All I can say is the number two must be a terrible blocker.

You are right they aren’t benching him for a series which might help. It might also hurt as well have to believe frost can tell what is needed in game to get guys to change. All I can say is the number two must be a terrible blocker.
He needs much, much more than to be benched for a series. He needs dedicated practice time designed to fix the problem. Something to the tune of 100 or more snaps after each practice, of which, 90% must be in the "box," by the end of the week...rinse and repeat the following weeks if the problem persists. If they are already addressing the issue with something similar, it isn't working...so they need to ramp it up. I don't think Jurgens should be benched...I think he needs to be coached up better.

There is certainly no shortage of things to try. More pronation, which would lead to releasing the ball earlier, possibly, even too low. Holding the ball more toward the center, while creating an end-under-end snap would possibly keep him from getting under the ball and it going too high, like when holding the front end of the ball. Even if he sticks to what he is currently doing, he will eventually master it. When he is an upper class men, this will all be a distant memory. He can’t be the Chuck Knobloch of centers, can he?

I believe this is the problem. He is doing two things at once. You are right, the change in body position, moving to block someone, has him in a different orientation and even if he does the same thing, he will be doing it from a different position and get a different result. If he gets out of his stance and his shoulder goes up, his hand has to follow and the higher it is when it releases, the higher the ball will go. That is why practicing snapping into a net and hitting a certain percentage of them won't help much. He needs to practice while moving to block. This is why I think releasing the ball by pronating his forearm (this is how a qb releases the ball, palm facing to the left to palm facing to the right) will help. From a snapping position, while pronating the forearm, wrist and hand, you get a good amount of wrist flexion, meaning the palm pulls up to forearm. and the ball gets a higher trajectory. Therefore, if he pulls the ball off of the ground and immediately pronates he will be able to release quicker and movement to block will have less effect on his snap. If he is counting on pulling the ball off of the ground and trying to keep his wrist neutral and just letting go of his grip when he thinks the time is right, it will make it more difficult.
I am watching the final offensive possession again and it is obvious Cam is not trying to get a spiral on his snaps. I don't know if that is the goal or not on a shotgun snap, but the ball is doing a whole lot of random things on the way back to the qb. Therefore, placement reigns over beauty. Hopefully, they get this worked out. I'll be emailing Frosty soon. :Rolf:

He needs much, much more than to be benched for a series. He needs dedicated practice time designed to fix the problem. Something to the tune of 100 or more snaps after each practice, of which, 90% must be in the "box," by the end of the week...rinse and repeat the following weeks if the problem persists. If they are already addressing the issue with something similar, it isn't working...so they need to ramp it up. I don't think Jurgens should be benched...I think he needs to be coached up better.
So a 10% failure rate is acceptable?

How exactly do you know he is not already doing this?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back