• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Campbell The Process.

I posted this in another thread but it bears repeating. If you can determine if Campbell has reached his coaching ceiling or if he’s reached ISU’s ceiling then you would probably know what you should do with him.

You might have missed my post in another thread:
Dang, I hope we don't hire our next coach based on 1 game. That's a lot of pressure on 22 young men this weekend. Hope none of them pull a hammy or anything.

Last edited:
I would be happy with Matt Campbell

my biggest hangup with him was that he brought his entire staff from Toledo - HCSF style - that is a big turn-off for me. I fear they would run into the peter principle pretty quick and we would have to live through the pain of realizing that and fixing it before he could start competing for division and conference championships in the B1G
I would be a hard pass if his taking the job meant we inherit his staff. There is zero chance all of his coaches are A players. As we will give the new HC a $6-8M budget for assistant coaches, any new HC should embrace that

I would be a hard pass if his taking the job meant we inherit his staff. There is zero chance all of his coaches are A players. As we will give the new HC a $6-8M budget for assistant coaches, any new HC should embrace that
I'm sure that will be part of Alberts' vetting process. Doing a deep dive into the staff hires that potential coaches will do or at least try to do. I'm sure he hasn't been blind to the failures of Frost's staff.

Nothing against Campbell. He'd be around 4th on my list.

You can argue that Campbell is the best HC in ISU history -- and you may very well have a point.

But consider ISU entered last season loaded with talent and experience -- I could argue the most in ISU history. Top 10 in the preseason polls. And the Clones finished 7-6.

Campbell is 45-34 in his career at Iowa State. He's in his 7th year, with one season finishing ranked in the top 25 (2020, Covid season).

I think Campbell has a safe floor. He likely won't suck anywhere. I'm convinced he'd be a huge upgrade over Frost. Granted, I'm convinced almost anyone would be a huge upgrade. I'm far from convinced Campbell has as high of a ceiling as others.

I like the guy, not sure that I love him. Of course, we all have our bye week favorites.
I think he’d get us the salty defense that we really need to win some B1G games pending he can recruit with our money. But yes, he’s 4th on my list as well

If Campbell is the guy I hope we don't let him bring his entire coaching staff with him like he did when going to ISU.

Fool me twice shame on me.

Last edited:

None of you pelini lovers are gonna wanna see Campbell's tirade on the sideline from todays game. I guess that rules him out. Dude was livid.

Presumably, the reason they are his staff is because he has worked with them, has confidence in them, and feels they give him the best chance at success.

Would we really hire a coach and tell him he needs to hire coaches he has never worked with? I guess that would work if the coach has other guys in mind but was limited by budget at his last job and now he can hire more expensive (and thus supposedly better) assistants.

Presumably, the reason they are his staff is because he has worked with them, has confidence in them, and feels they give him the best chance at success.

Would we really hire a coach and tell him he needs to hire coaches he has never worked with? I guess that would work if the coach has other guys in mind but was limited by budget at his last job and now he can hire more expensive (and thus supposedly better) assistants.
To your first paragraph, how'd that work out for the last guy?

To your first paragraph, how'd that work out for the last guy?
It didn’t work out well. But I don’t think in such a simplistic way. Just because Frost’s staff didn’t work doesn’t mean another guys staff won’t work. This reminds me of the theory that because Frost has ties to Nebraska and failed, the solution is to not consider people with ties to the state, as if was these ties that prevented success.

What TA should be focused on is whether the candidate has the intangible qualities that reflect his ability to run a highly complex multimillion dollar organization. If you hire a guy and don’t trust his judgment on hiring assistants, you hired the wrong guy. You may as well throw darts at a board or spin a wheel.

Moos hired SF without any actual diligence to determine if he was the kind of guy who could fit the task. it was assumed he was the guy because everyone thought he was the next big coach. In Mmos’ defense, he had no choice but to hire Frost. But that doesn’t change the fact that, if due diligence had been exercised, it probably would have been clear he wasn’t ready for a P5 job.

In short, demanding a coach not bring his staff, or making sure there are no Nebraska ties is an improper focus. If the AD doesn’t think the guys staff is a good fit for Nebraska, he’d better discuss that before hiring.

It didn’t work out well. But I don’t think in such a simplistic way. Just because Frost’s staff didn’t work doesn’t mean another guys staff won’t work. This reminds me of the theory that because Frost has ties to Nebraska and failed, the solution is to not consider people with ties to the state, as if was these ties that prevented success.

What TA should be focused on is whether the candidate has the intangible qualities that reflect his ability to run a highly complex multimillion dollar organization. If you hire a guy and don’t trust his judgment on hiring assistants, you hired the wrong guy. You may as well throw darts at a board or spin a wheel.

Moos hired SF without any actual diligence to determine if he was the kind of guy who could fit the task. it was assumed he was the guy because everyone thought he was the next big coach. In Mmos’ defense, he had no choice but to hire Frost. But that doesn’t change the fact that, if due diligence had been exercised, it probably would have been clear he wasn’t ready for a P5 job.

In short, demanding a coach not bring his staff, or making sure there are no Nebraska ties is an improper focus. If the AD doesn’t think the guys staff is a good fit for Nebraska, he’d better discuss that before hiring.
Yep. I'd like this post twice if I could. I mentioned before that we fail at something and we want to do a complete 180 when all we really needed was to make a 45-degree adjustment. Started with Solich when we fired him to do a 180 with flashy NFL coaches...turns out we couldn't get the ones we wanted.

To be clear, I am not saying a new HC should not bring any of his assistants but I AM saying to bring the entire is a huge red flag

If that staff was talented do you not think that some of those staff members will be recruited by other programs with attractive pay packages?

SF brought to the huskers a big pile of no talent coaches who let enabled poor discipline, zero development and embraced a no fear of failure which = penalties and turnovers are just fine. There isn't one of SF assistants that will get a job that pays as much as they made here except for maybe Beckton

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back