• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Campbell The Process.

Nothing against Campbell. He'd be around 4th on my list.

You can argue that Campbell is the best HC in ISU history -- and you may very well have a point.

But consider ISU entered last season loaded with talent and experience -- I could argue the most in ISU history. Top 10 in the preseason polls. And the Clones finished 7-6.

Campbell is 45-34 in his career at Iowa State. He's in his 7th year, with one season finishing ranked in the top 25 (2020, Covid season).

I think Campbell has a safe floor. He likely won't suck anywhere. I'm convinced he'd be a huge upgrade over Frost. Granted, I'm convinced almost anyone would be a huge upgrade. I'm far from convinced Campbell has as high of a ceiling as others.

I like the guy, not sure that I love him. Of course, we all have our bye week favorites.

I think Campbell has a safe floor. He likely won't suck anywhere. I'm convinced he'd be a huge upgrade over Frost. Granted, I'm convinced almost anyone would be a huge upgrade. I'm far from convinced Campbell has as high of a ceiling as others.

I dont think anyone can sit here and say, He didn't do more for ISU than any coach before him as far as consistency and success to their program. I just find it hard to believe he can do the same and more here in Nebraska when the fan base wants and expects more, beyond what he is getting done in Ames. His level of success and consistency is and should be our low point, Having winning seasons and making bowl games and competing for a division/conf title here and there. Thats great, thats just not Nebraska brand of football, regardless of whether we have been able to do it for over 20 years.

Well we have Aranda versus Campbell tomorrow! Guess we can just hire the winner of that game and call it a day! :Lol:
You might have missed my post in another thread:
If ISU wins this Saturday, Matt Campbell will have beaten a 2-2 team. In other words, basically meaningless. But if Baylor wins, Dave Aranda should be our next head coach.

Nothing against Campbell. He'd be around 4th on my list.

You can argue that Campbell is the best HC in ISU history -- and you may very well have a point.

But consider ISU entered last season loaded with talent and experience -- I could argue the most in ISU history. Top 10 in the preseason polls. And the Clones finished 7-6.

Campbell is 45-34 in his career at Iowa State. He's in his 7th year, with one season finishing ranked in the top 25 (2020, Covid season).

I like the guy, not sure that I love him. Of course, we all have our bye week favorites.

I think you make some very valid points about Campbell. IMO you could say almost the same things about Dave Aranda at Baylor. To me he is still something of an unknown.

He has 2 years and change of HC experience. He was 2-7 the first year, a covid year, so I guess you can't hold that against him. But, why can't you? He took over a Baylor team that finished 11-3 in 2019. Matt Rhule did the heavy lifting to bring it back from the Art Briles turmoil.

It's great they went 12-2 last year. Is it a 1 year wonder? Right now Baylor is 2-1 what if ISU wins tomorrow? Does that move Campbell in front of Aranda?

I think both guys would be good hires, I just don't think one is necessarily better than the other. If Matt Rhule gets fired I would take him over either one of them. Maybe he has learned his lesson and will stick with college ball. I also like Leipold a lot. He has taken arguably the worst P5 program over the last decade and has them sitting at 3-0 in his second year.

I would be happy with Matt Campbell

my biggest hangup with him was that he brought his entire staff from Toledo - HCSF style - that is a big turn-off for me. I fear they would run into the peter principle pretty quick and we would have to live through the pain of realizing that and fixing it before he could start competing for division and conference championships in the B1G

I think the argument many have with MC is his record is good but not great.
So the question is whats great at iowa st?
Several 10 and 2 seasons? A playoff berth?
Lsu didnt NOT hire nick saban because his succes at msu was good but not great. Because lsu realized for msu, sabans record WAS great. For ISU, campbells record is great. You simply cant do much better than hes done at isu. Period.
Most cf experts understand that. Many husker fans dont

Campbell v Leipold the following weekend and Aranda v Leipold 10/22. Let's make it a round robin. LOL

C
After all that you'd hope one is 2-0 and the others are 1-1 or 0-2. I take it we go for the one that was 2-0. Then again I suppose all three could be 1-1 and we're right back where we started.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back