• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Cam Jurgens' size

Just getting the snap where it should be time after time would be huge imo! We've struggled with that for quite some time and it really can disrupt offensive timing. Says nothing about the disaster snaps that result in turnovers. Don't worry about what weight he plays at only that he can snap the ball on target 95% of the time........
i seem to recall there were a ton of high snaps in the spring game. high or low....i just remember thinking that the snap locations were off quite a bit.

I would agree with that at every position besides center. Especially if practicing or playing against an odd front.
As a Center playing against an odd front is usually physically more demanding but mentally much simpler. If they're lining up a Noseguard, it'll be rare that you're not blocking him. You still have to do it, though, and when he's a big ol' boy like the Wisconsin dude last year, it can get pretty rough if you're 1-on-1 and supposed to be moving him backwards. It's very difficult to both be big enough to whip a NG by yourself AND be agile enough to consistently block a good LB when you're uncovered.

Getting snaps right and not getting totally steamrolled up the middle would be great. Center snaps have been issue going clear back to Taylor Martinez days. No dribbling it back to quarterback in overtime last year is preferable
It's not good when you are holding your breath almost every offensive snap like last season! It was total crap shoot many times where the ball is going. I'd say that's pretty unnerving for AM back there who has enough to do trying to read those defenses. AM is also an excellent athlete and SAVED a bunch of those snaps from turning into total disasters imo...............

Last edited:

Getting snaps right and not getting totally steamrolled up the middle would be great. Center snaps have been issue going clear back to Taylor Martinez days. No dribbling it back to quarterback in overtime last year is preferable
@Middle-aged_Ball_Coach reminded me of the first snap of the '86 OU-NU game today... you want trouble getting snaps right *smh*

EDIT: Oops... that was actually a bad pitch not a snap. Still no good. Sorry.

Last edited:

That was the only all red game I remember. Has there been others?

I'm with you.

Thought the 86 OU game was it.

Plenty of 'Surrender White' games, but that's the only all red game I remember.

My youngest just reminded me NU did it against Wisconsin with one of the alt uniforms. I'd forgotten that.

Last edited:
See "Game of Death;" with Kareem Abdul Jabbar fighting Bruce Lee. But back on topic. I just hope they have the best man handling snaps. I don't care who it is. Cam will have his turn when he is ready.

Yeah, I thought about that example, actually, but didn't know how many would be familiar with the fight scene.

There's a theoretical point where skill can still overcome sheer mass, but there is absolutely a point where that balance tips. Had a friend who worked SWAT for several years and he came across more than one would-be kung fu user. He said if the person was unarmed but trying to use martial arts to resist, that he'd just bull rush (6'4", 275lb) the guy and drop him to the ground like Jason Peter. This was back before tasers and other non-lethal weapons were much more commonplace.

But back on football, a center who's 25lbs smaller than a DT/NT can still win with technique. 50lbs and it's probably not happening unless your technique is Rimington-like.

Yeah, I thought about that example, actually, but didn't know how many would be familiar with the fight scene.

There's a theoretical point where skill can still overcome sheer mass, but there is absolutely a point where that balance tips. Had a friend who worked SWAT for several years and he came across more than one would-be kung fu user. He said if the person was unarmed but trying to use martial arts to resist, that he'd just bull rush (6'4", 275lb) the guy and drop him to the ground like Jason Peter. This was back before tasers and other non-lethal weapons were much more commonplace.

But back on football, a center who's 25lbs smaller than a DT/NT can still win with technique. 50lbs and it's probably not happening unless your technique is Rimington-like.
It also depends on what you're required to do. It's very hard to move a larger NT if you need to run in that hole, but there aren't many, if any, running plays for Frost that call for a 1-on-1 block from the Center on a Noseguard to literally move him backwards except for a QB Sneak. If he's pass-blocking the NG, you really hope that he's not a lot bigger AND quick. I haven't thought to go back and check NGs from last year and who's returning, but that big dude from Wisconsin was more than a mountain of a man. I can't think of any others off the top of my head. A mobile Center would be really an asset against most 4-man fronts, and it would open up some options for Frost's playbook that people don't usually see, such as pulling a Center and a Guard on a Buck Sweep, which Frost has done before at UCF.

ban all dribbling by the oline this year

how good is Wegener? Could he step in if necessary and center the ball accurately? Will he be getting reps with Martinez in practice?.

Lot of speculation. I am betting the coaches know what they are doing. If he plays he will be ready.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back