• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Cam Jurgens injury?

Not surprising given the prior issues. Trying to put a positive spin on something that is just a darn shame, though....Better to happen now rather than at the start of the season. This gives us more time to find the starter at Center, and it also gives Jurgens more time to heal and more time to try and figure out if anything can be done to keep this from continuing to be a chronic issue.

As you know from private conversations I am big Will Farniok fan and I think he more than likely would have been the starter to begin the year anyway. However agree losing Cam who a lot of folks have projected as the long term solution at center does not help at all

Need to figure out what is causing his foot issues

I am sure that Cam is an outstanding athlete and a good person, but I really wish the “second coming of Dave Rimington” narrative never would have got started for Cam. It’s not fair to him or fans. That talk is a Husker fantasy and it would be best to just let it go.

Last edited:
bad break for the young man. wish him the best in his recovery.

was hoping the move would work out for him and yet it may still. with that said, mid june gives the coaches and players more time(and reps) to prepare.

Cat out of the bag now. Unfortunate for the position that is the biggest worry on offense next year.

Farnioks job to lose. Miller, Forbes, and Wegener need to come in ready to roll, don’t make us move Wilson there.
Thoughts on the recovery time for this?

I really don't know at this point. If it's me, he limped thru the spring recovering from a broken foot, and it's not surprising the stress he put on his other foot resulted in a break 2 months later. If it's me, you just let the kid heal and learn the position this year. He had a bone break senior year in high school, bone break freshman year at Nebraska, another break, and then this recent one. Even if he recovers in a month, that takes you to less than 30 days to fall practice. He's a competitor that won't want to sit out, but at some point, he does you no good on the sidelines.

It's what i've talked about with S&C (tho I wouldn't get too mad at our S&C for this). Injury prevention needs to be priority #1 for any staff. You get a limited amount of scholarships, and kids can't develop if they sit out all the time. I did make reference earlier in the year to someone putting on 40-50 pounds in a year not being good for their body as your soft tissue and bones can rarely handle it, but he's had these issues before. He also basically had to eat like a bird to stay at TE weight. When he was recruited, I stated he didn't have the hands to play there and needed to be an OLB or blocking TE. I'm a little surprised we didn't try him at OLB before making a major move to center, but I get it.

I know @ShortSideOption responded to this question, but when I saw it, my first thought was wondering if he had fully recovered from the one(s)....not knowing, of course, if these breaks are on the same foot.

At this point, getting completely healthy and seeking a medical hardship might be the best way for Jurgens to play as much football as he would like.

I really don't know at this point. If it's me, he limped thru the spring recovering from a broken foot, and it's not surprising the stress he put on his other foot resulted in a break 2 months later. If it's me, you just let the kid heal and learn the position this year. He had a bone break senior year in high school, bone break freshman year at Nebraska, another break, and then this recent one. Even if he recovers in a month, that takes you to less than 30 days to fall practice. He's a competitor that won't want to sit out, but at some point, he does you no good on the sidelines.

It's what i've talked about with S&C (tho I wouldn't get too mad at our S&C for this). Injury prevention needs to be priority #1 for any staff. You get a limited amount of scholarships, and kids can't develop if they sit out all the time. I did make reference earlier in the year to someone putting on 40-50 pounds in a year not being good for their body as your soft tissue and bones can rarely handle it, but he's had these issues before. He also basically had to eat like a bird to stay at TE weight. When he was recruited, I stated he didn't have the hands to play there and needed to be an OLB or blocking TE. I'm a little surprised we didn't try him at OLB before making a major move to center, but I get it.
Thanks and I agree on injury prevention/healing needing to be the top priority. Maybe he can come back mid year and play 4 games and if he's killing it, let him play more. If not, call it a year and apply for a hardship in a few years.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back