• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Calling ***

The defense does not have the yams to force it will on the opponent. The third-down is the nemesis and we show no signs of fixing that. Fix the defense and start recognizing where the ball is and wrap up with the arms. Get the linebacker crowding the line and make slow play cutbacks. We are over pursuing many times on running play and LB does not appear in the right lane to make the tackle. I think if the players had better ball recognition the defense would play better.

The offense needs double teams at the point of attack with backside blockers peeling off and finding the little guy's downfield. HCSF could motion a TE or HBack to give more power. We need to get the numbers on our side at the point of attack. Simple things like that open up the play downfield to go over the top with some play action.

After yesterday's debacle, you can make a real argument that we have the worst offense, the worst defense, and the worst special teams in the Big 10 West. And this is in a division not known for having particularly dynamic offenses.

It's been said many times before, but nobody does less with more than Nebraska.

My daughter just committed to play a sport at a lower division, and in the recruitment process, you are certainly doing the best you can to look 3/4/5 years ahead to see if there is a potential coaching change. That includes red hot coaches about to be poached, and coaches that appear to be one or two years away from leaving because they don’t win enough games. As an athlete, you want stability first and foremost.

Coaching changes are often a huge mess for current players, so that’s one of the things you try your darndest to avoid.

Last edited:
After yesterday's debacle, you can make a real argument that we have the worst offense, the worst defense, and the worst special teams in the Big 10 West. And this is in a division not known for having particularly dynamic offenses.

It's been said many times before, but nobody does less with more than Nebraska.
Not sure if they top Texas for that award.

Last edited:

I honestly don’t think our players are soft. I think they do have major doubts they can win though. If I was in their position I would too. I frequently don’t think we’ve positioned them for success on the field.
How do all these kids go from winning state championships and being all-state players to not knowing how to or expect to win? They’ve basically known nothing but success prior to NE, now they’re scared?

How do all these kids go from winning state championships and being all-state players to not knowing how to or expect to win? They’ve basically known nothing but success prior to NE, now they’re scared?
Look at the record. Would you expect to win? Furthermore, we can gripe from the outside, but they likely KNOW that they were outschemed yesterday. Hard to have confidence when you can do everything you’re told and still get beat like a drum.

What is it supposed to look like? With the exceptions of the defensive line and secondary, roster management seems to be a nightmare. Why don’t 4 stars ever see the field? Remember when we needed a bigger receiver to replace Morgan? McQuitty was a junior and never saw the field. What is the real problem with Manning? What about the receivers from past classes? Where is Houston? Why do we have a QB who only played QB one year in HS starting for a major program? Shouldn’t Luke be coached to be a slot receiver? All of these questions to get to one point: I don’t know Frost, but someone who played, trained and lived major football should be able to see these issues. If not, the school needs to give him a mentor. CEOs get professional coaching when they are hired. Who does Frost look to? Who has an objective eye to tell him that keeping his head down and sticking with “what worked at UCF” isn’t working? Would he let someone like Urban come in and give him some thoughts? How much would something like that cost? How much would I have to donate for a one on one lunch with HCSF to say—what is the deal (that’s sort of a joke)? Either our reporters are way off in their assessment of the off season and players who make an impact, or our coaches really have a hard time getting the best players on the field. That is what should scare recruits. It is the strangest thing to watch mediocre teams run good looking offensive plays. I hold my breath every play that only ends up being a big play because one of the stud makes something happen— not because of overall execution.

Last edited:

That’s a good question. I think as a recruit you’re pretty concerned with what you see offensively. You are going to have to sign on the dotted line with either McCaffrey who isn’t polished as your QB or they give Martinez another go, either way there’s uncertainty. I think Frost could be served well making a staff change and telling the recruits “we werent good at this aspect which is what Coach X was responsible for, so we have that corrected now bringing in Coach Y.”

All I can tell you is recruits in the metro have been told “make sure you see some W’s so it’s not just lip service.” Another legacy always asks “do you think we are heading in the right direction” as his son is being recruited by Nebraska. Both of those things are scary to answer when looking at trajectory through the eyes of the recruit. It actually makes things a bit foolish when people said how much progress they’ve seen in a 52-17 defeat.
Based on what we saw yesterday, I’d start Martinez on Friday. I am very skeptical that McCaffrey has the arm strength to play QB.

Well now that Martinez is second string people want him. I get it.
I can't see switching back. That will be worse for our already fragile mentality.

Maybe go in with a plan to play them for 2 series each and go from there?

LM needs reps imo. He can't throw deep for crap but I'll take what he brings over what AM brings, imo

You won’t lose your QB recruit if you make a switch. If I’m Frost though and if Martinez transfers I’m probably offering Omaha Westsides QB immediately.

At the end of the day you have to make changes that are going to make your roster you have here improve. If we are relying on the 2021 recruting class to get us where we need to be we are in trouble.

I’m not advocating for a coaching switch FYI just answering your question.
Do you know why Cole hasn't been offered? Or has he been offered, but not to play Qb? After watching him several times it sure looks like he has all the tools and is extremely athletic for a big kid.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back