• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Calling my shot(Haarberg)

We need Smothers or Haarberg (preferably both) to step up their game because odds are better than not that we will need a solid #2 QB before the season is over. I recall AM's recent comment that it would have been tough for him to play in a bowl last year because he was pretty beat up. He only played in 7+ games. He has yet to complete all 12 games in a season.

We need Smothers or Haarberg (preferably both) to step up their game because odds are better than not that we will need a solid #2 QB before the season is over. I recall AM's recent comment that it would have been tough for him to play in a bowl last year because he was pretty beat up. He only played in 7+ games. He has yet to complete all 12 games in a season.
Then you look around at the Big and see the varying wildcats they run.
We need to get two guys that can run their style as backups, and explore those options too.
IOW, your wildcat qb does pass, but his game is different,and the calls are to his strengths.
To me,thats bottom line, one for a switch up,like we saw with Luke early,from minny etc as well, its a great switch up, even limited, but also gives valuable experience.

This could be for early experience, or,if you have a guy, mostly pure curve ball effect.

TO rarely had his young qbs carry or throw, their game was cut down as to playbook,but that experience was invaluable

Last edited:
Just my opinion, but other than his running I think he was above average but a product of his surroundings. Players hated him but respected his position. He wasn’t a motivator. His surrounding cast were just as equally motivated so his arrogant attitude was dismissed by his surrounding players as “tommy being tommy”. Just my opinion though.
definitely and unverified opinion. The BTN show about the 94 team multiple players stated the second he was in the huddle he let everyone know who was in charge. That is leadership. They mentioned he demanded that respect even as a Freshman. The way they talked it was clear that although they may not have liked him they sure as heck respected him. You do not have to be liked to respect someone. I used to work for a Warrant Officer that no one liked but we all respected him. He was a royal Ahole but he made us great Marines.

definitely and unverified opinion. The BTN show about the 94 team multiple players stated the second he was in the huddle he let everyone know who was in charge. That is leadership. They mentioned he demanded that respect even as a Freshman. The way they talked it was clear that although they may not have liked him they sure as heck respected him. You do not have to be liked to respect someone. I used to work for a Warrant Officer that no one liked but we all respected him. He was a royal Ahole but he made us great Marines.
Yea as I said.....they hated him but respected the position.

Totally disagree. If TF had the same amount of talent around him that AM has had the last 3 years he wouldn’t have even been starting.

laughingshaq.gif

Did you listen to his pregame message after losing the job to Luke? You think TF was as inspiring when Brook got the start in the Orange Bowl?
No question a nicer guy and a more well liked teammate. Mike Riley was a nice coach as well. The players loved him. Where did that get us. Sometimes you need to piss people off to get the reaction you want. TFraz instilled fear in his teammates. They did not want to mess up because T and the coaches would get in their butts. Same with Christian on the other side of the ball. Their were plenty of officers I saluted. Only a few I really respected. Those guys I would run through walls for. Some of the Officers I saluted but did not respect I liked as human beings they were just not good officers. The guys I respected I believed would get me home alive. Tfraz was respected because the guys on the team knew he would do everything humanly possible and some things not possible to win a game. Do you think the guys on the team now feel the same about 2AM?

I was waiting for someone to challenge me on that statement . Tommy was a career 49.5% pass completion guy with a great line and supporting cast. He was well known for bouncing the ball 10 foot in front of a receiver. This all in spite of the defense not expecting the ball to be thrown. He would have sat the bench in a Scott frost offense. Especially with the poor blocking.

To be fair though, Frazier never had a WR the caliber of Stanley Morgan or JD Spielman (or a hybrid like Wan'Dale).

The receivers (WR and TE) on the mid-90s teams were on the field to block many more times than not. The running backs rarely had a pass thrown their way. Phillips and Green only averaged about 1 reception per game over their careers. Frazier didn't have the luxury of quality targets -- and he also didn't have many of the high percentage, short throws that are a part of the current offense.

Frazier's career passer rating is higher than Adrian Martinez -- and Taylor Martinez and Tommy Armstrong (the last three quarterbacks to start three or more seasons).

Frazier had a far superior TD-INT ratio. 43-11 over his career (17-4 in his senior season). Martinez is 31-20 in his career -- but only 14-12 the past two seasons combined.

I think it's way too much apples to oranges in offensive schemes and skill position players to suggest Frazier would be benched in favor of Martinez in Frost's current offense.

No question a nicer guy and a more well liked teammate. Mike Riley was a nice coach as well. The players loved him. Where did that get us. Sometimes you need to piss people off to get the reaction you want. TFraz instilled fear in his teammates. They did not want to mess up because T and the coaches would get in their butts. Same with Christian on the other side of the ball. Their were plenty of officers I saluted. Only a few I really respected. Those guys I would run through walls for. Some of the Officers I saluted but did not respect I liked as human beings they were just not good officers. The guys I respected I believed would get me home alive. Tfraz was respected because the guys on the team knew he would do everything humanly possible and some things not possible to win a game. Do you think the guys on the team now feel the same about 2AM?

i’m not in the locker room but I would guess he has a ton of respect from his teammates. At the end of the day that’s my opinion and your guess is as good as mine. I saw a pretty damn good player his freshman year and a pretty damn good player most of last year. Yes, Sophomore season was up and down. People lead in different ways and I have always respected leadership that didn’t feel they needed to rule out of fear or intimidation. The original question was related to overall abilities. Frasier was an average at best passer, very good runner, and exceptional gamer but if you could magically flip them I’m not sure the results in the win/loss columns are much different.

To be fair though, Frazier never had a WR the caliber of Stanley Morgan or JD Spielman (or a hybrid like Wan'Dale).

The receivers (WR and TE) on the mid-90s teams were on the field to block many more times than not. The running backs rarely had a pass thrown their way. Phillips and Green only averaged about 1 reception per game over their careers. Frazier didn't have the luxury of quality targets -- and he also didn't have many of the high percentage, short throws that are a part of the current offense.

Frazier's career passer rating is higher than Adrian Martinez -- and Taylor Martinez and Tommy Armstrong (the last three quarterbacks to start three or more seasons).

Frazier had a far superior TD-INT ratio. 43-11 over his career (17-4 in his senior season). Martinez is 31-20 in his career -- but only 14-12 the past two seasons combined.

I think it's way too much apples to oranges in offensive schemes and skill position players to suggest Frazier would be benched in favor of Martinez in Frost's current offense.
AM has had 27 fumbles in 3 seasons (1 shortened). I'd like to know how many times TF fumbled considering the type of offense he was in over his 4 seasons.

AM has had 27 fumbles in 3 seasons (1 shortened). I'd like to know how many times TF fumbled considering the type of offense he was in over his 4 seasons.
could not find the fumble stats per individual. but interesting that at this point they have thrown almost the same amount of passes. TF 469 AM 481. TF over his career threw 11 int, AM threw 20. that means TF threw an int every 42.6 passes. AM every 24.45. AM does have a higher completion % and more yards. No question. but twice as many turnovers so as a result he has about half as many TD on the same amount of passes. TF 43 AM 20, TD/int ratio is clearly better for TFraz and his QB rating is 138.7 to AM 135.7.

A while back I was impressed initially with his interviews he's a smart kid. I picked up on something from the way he speaks, a quiet confidence, something that's hard to describe but I just know when I see it. Then I checked his height, 6'5", nice.

I thought about actually making this thread a while back but decided against it. What do I know I'm just some dumb guy on the internet?

Then I saw this(QBs start around 1 min or so):

Haarberg(#10) is making some really nice and TIMELY throws there, especially for a freshman.

So yeah now I'm a big fan of the guy and it's more fun to call it early and look awesome or get laughed at later.
What if were laughing at you now. ;)

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back