• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Calling my shot(Haarberg)

Did you hear enough to rank the long ball from that session?

I kind of got the feeling that it was something like this for the backups:

Masker
Haarberg
Smothers

I didn't see anything on Synek.
3-4-5 radio/journo types just stated HH had a very strong arm and Smothers struggled with longer throws. I did not hear about Masker but it’s nice to know he did well.

There's a few things I take away from this...

1. I have a fundamental difference of opinion with how Verduzco identifies a QB prospect. He has stated on multiple occasions that the first thing he looks for is the kids athleticism. That's the first box a kid has to check. While it's clear athletic QBs make Frost's offense truly dynamic, (IMPO) arm talent has to be the first thing that attracts you to a prospect.

This offense can't have a statue behind center, but if it's me, I'm taking a QB that can make all the throws, even if it means he's "only" good for a 12-15 yard scamper off of a zone read and isn't a threat to get you 30, 40 yards, let alone take it to the house. Bottom line, I'm taking Joe Ganz over Taylor Martinez in any offense.

2. Frost (like all OCs), wants to see a kid throw in person before extending an offer. I'm not sure if he or Verduzco were able to do this? His highlight tape generally shows him being (extremely) dynamic as a runner, but not pushing the ball downfield very often. And when he does, the ball floats like what we saw in the video of practice the other day. He's mostly shown throwing balls inside 20 yards. It points to why coaches like to see a kid in person. Is there so much air under his throw because he's throwing to HS WRs who run a 4.8-40? Or is that an honest indicator of his arm strength?

Don't get me wrong, I liked Smothers tape. He was a four-year starter, and a coaches son who played in a very similar offense to Frost's. But you need to see in person if the "tape don't lie."

3. Nebraska was his first Power 5 offer in May of 2018 before his junior season. This goes back to why you need to see special arm talent in a kid, especially when offering this early. Seeing him throw 3 years later, I can't imagine his arm was terribly impressive at this stage of his development, even if coaches saw him in person. It's why you can't fall in love with athleticism first and foremost with a QB.
Do you think he would be open to a position switch if QB does not work out? Question 2 - IMO a kid can only improve his passing so much. A kid either has it or doesn’t. Do you agree? Question 3 - given you are a recruiting guru do you think Nate Glantz from IW is a viable option?

I was waiting for someone to challenge me on that statement . Tommy was a career 49.5% pass completion guy with a great line and supporting cast. He was well known for bouncing the ball 10 foot in front of a receiver. This all in spite of the defense not expecting the ball to be thrown. He would have sat the bench in a Scott frost offense. Especially with the poor blocking.
Based on the statement, people are probably thinking they should take Mark Twain's advice on this one.

Watching that clip, and assuming the 3rd QB involved was Smothers...ooof. That dude has a weak arm. Those downfield throws left a lot to be desired, I'll just say that.
I thought there were multiple dog throws....a couple of AM's weren't even close.

I felt you might benefit by less attention being drawn to it.

I'd take prime Tommie in this offense every day and twice on Sunday vs anyone we've trotted out since Frost got here. He might not have been the passer that modern QBs are, but he completed his share when it mattered and he blew every other measurable and immeasurable out of the water. For every throw he might not make, he made up for it in leadership, pure grit, confidence (often arrogance that was backed up), running ability and not turning the ball over at alarming rates.
Just my opinion, but other than his running I think he was above average but a product of his surroundings. Players hated him but respected his position. He wasn’t a motivator. His surrounding cast were just as equally motivated so his arrogant attitude was dismissed by his surrounding players as “tommy being tommy”. Just my opinion though.

Do you think he would be open to a position switch if QB does not work out? Question 2 - IMO a kid can only improve his passing so much. A kid either has it or doesn’t. Do you agree? Question 3 - given you are a recruiting guru do you think Nate Glantz from IW is a viable option?
Does anyone know if Logan even played another position in HS? I don't remember hearing of any other positions / stats

We already have Smothers switching positions or transferring. Yikes.

I'll be interested to see how he looks in the spring game. If Smothers is another McCaffrey-level passer and Haarberg can sling it . . . I think the writing is on the wall. Frost might make a run at a transfer QB (Glantz??) to provide depth/back-up and give Haarberg some room to learn.

Frost just can't afford to spot defenses the comfort of only having to really worry about 25 yards worth of field to defend when the #2 is in.

Well, I wouldn't throw dirt on Smothers just yet. This is still college ball and not as pass happy as the NFL. When I see Husker receivers getting separation from DB's and the ball isn't getting there then I'll worry. As of yet, I haven't seen it.
I would rather have a tough, gritty competitor that can read a defense and get you in the right play and execute rather than Mr. Potential. I hope Haarberg turns into our best ever, but it's a lot easier to throw the ball in practice to one receiver over reading a defense that wants to come in rip your head off.

I'll be interested to see how he looks in the spring game. If Smothers is another McCaffrey-level passer and Haarberg can sling it . . . I think the writing is on the wall. Frost might make a run at a transfer QB (Glantz??) to provide depth/back-up and give Haarberg some room to learn.

Frost just can't afford to spot defenses the comfort of only having to really worry about 25 yards worth of field to defend when the #2 is in.

I don't disagree. But he's a freshman going through his first spring camp, and after watching a short video blurb of him, some have already concluded that he's not good.

I don't know what his approach is to a position switch. I'd have thought McCaffrey would have been open to it. After all, he played WR for basically 3 years of HS, and you'd think his dad would have the honest talk with him that it is his best (only) shot at the NFL.

Smothers is similar in frame and athleticism, but despite having a weaker arm like McCaffrey, he has always been a QB. Maybe he doesn't have the hands to play anywhere else? We haven't seen him used like McCaffrey was yet. He could have the attitude where he knows he's just a QB and if he can't excel at Nebraska, he'd be content transferring somewhere else.

As for Glantz, I'm not sure if he's on Nebraska's radar or not. The JUCO season just got started (he's off to an impressive start) and JUCO recruiting is going to be interesting this cycle. Most teams are filled up for the 2021 counters. And they'll have competition from guys in the portal for those few spots. And then, some kids will be available to transfer this May, while some won't be able to until December and be part of the '22 class.

You couldn't ask for a better guy than Held, though. He's plugged in to the JUCO ranks like few are. I do think there will be a few really good juco players available to add this summer. The elite guys will always have options, but like I said, the number of teams capable of taking them will be lower. There'll be a trickle down effect.

I've always been an advocate of Nebraska taking another QB in the portal. There were a couple guys I would have gone hard after prior to spring ball, but the staff seems content with Martinez as "the guy" and taking someone (if they do) after more spring attrition to be a reliable backup. IMO, if they wanted a true competition, they'd have gone after someone like Tyler Shough and given him a full offseason to learn the offense, get reps, and have a legit shot at the job.

Regardless, I think it'd be smart for the staff to look to add a JUCO guy as a walk-on, like they did with Andrew Bunch. Would Glantz do that? Hard to say what his scholarship options will be at this point, this early. I do think that trickle down effect will cause a lot of JUCO kids to decide whether they want to go FCS or take a shot and walk-on at a FBS school with the hopes of earning a scholarship.

Well, I wouldn't throw dirt on Smothers just yet. This is still college ball and not as pass happy as the NFL. When I see Husker receivers getting separation from DB's and the ball isn't getting there then I'll worry. As of yet, I haven't seen it.
I would rather have a tough, gritty competitor that can read a defense and get you in the right play and execute rather than Mr. Potential. I hope Haarberg turns into our best ever, but it's a lot easier to throw the ball in practice to one receiver over reading a defense that wants to come in rip your head off.
You could add the term gamer to that as well, when the bullets are flying, it brings the best out of them.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back