• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Calling my shot(Haarberg)

He certainly has a chance. Whichever QB is most accurate between Haarberg, Smothers, and Masker will be #2. Haarberg basically has, and is, getting the same amount of reps as Smothers in this offense.

Watching that clip, and assuming the 3rd QB involved was Smothers...ooof. That dude has a weak arm. Those downfield throws left a lot to be desired, I'll just say that.

I think its coming.
If our run game steps up, even on obvious passing downs, the opposing D line and blitzers still have to create discipline or the qb can escape for yardage, and that puts more stress on the defense. If were stressing them already, discipline often gets lost

I hope so. But if the O-line does its job, AM will likely do well enough to keep his job. And that’s a good thing. I don’t care who is behind center. I just want more footballs being carried into the end zone.

Exactly. If that qb cant make all the throws, or all the runs, the one that does best of both should start.
NU may not have anyone who can do it all. My point is, Martinez is a senior. There is no tomorrow for him. If he has someone equal to, or better than him, then they should play. If not, then Martinez is the guy. I wouldn’t hesitate a second to make a change early if the team is struggling yet again. You can’t wait. This is a make, or bust year for Frost and staff imo.

… I'll just take getting the ball across the goal line on a consistent basis! ;)
Which happens when the chains are moving. Stalled drives results in a punt, which creates no points.

But yes, have to score more. In this day and age, I’d say 35 per game is a minimum. Ideally in the 40’s would be nice. Field a defense in the 20’s or so to go with that, and you might have yourself something.

NU may not have anyone who can do it all. My point is, Martinez is a senior. There is no tomorrow for him. If he has someone equal to, or better than him, then they should play. If not, then Martinez is the guy. I wouldn’t hesitate a second to make a change early if the team is struggling yet again. You can’t wait. This is a make, or bust year for Frost and staff imo.
Definitely.
I was speaking on the backups,sorry of you didnt get that.
We know what AM brings,the backups, not so sure

Watching that clip, and assuming the 3rd QB involved was Smothers...ooof. That dude has a weak arm. Those downfield throws left a lot to be desired, I'll just say that.
That was my impression as well.

Martinez is a junior eligibility wise.

I said it last year and I will say it again this year. There is a reason Smoothers hasn't got any real snaps of consequence and unless he improves dramatically he will never get one in the future. Certainly hope he can improve but from folks that know I've been told his arm is less than impressive. You had a couple of SEC schools show interest in a small town Nebraska QB in Haarberg but only one show any interest in Smothers while going to high school in the heart of SEC country. There is also a reason for this.

Last edited:
I said it last year and I will say it again this year. There is a reason Smoothers hasn't got any real snaps of consequence and unless he improves dramatically he will never get on in the future. Certainly hope he can improve but from folks that know I've been told his arm is less than impressive. You had a couple of SEC schools show interest in a small town Nebraska QB in Haarberg but only one show any interest in Smothers while going to high school in the heart of SEC country. There is also a reason for this.
So Marios eval was a bit off...again? :O O:

I'll make a prediction also " If Haarberg is second on the depth chart week 0 and Logan Smothers is not injured there is a good chance Smothers transfers out before the first snap"
I have no inside info that's just my opinion / guess
Yep. Transfer portal bait.

Whatever happens, I hope Frost makes the decision on pecking order based purely on who can actually push the ball downfield and not on the potential for hurt feelings, transfers, etc. If the backup this year can't throw any better than LM could last year, we're in big trouble if AM goes down. And history says he probably will for at least some period of time somewhere along the line.

Based on what I heard from those who attended yesterday’s session it seems like HH could hit deep passes and Logan Smothers arm looked week. My bet - Frostee goes for a transfer QB to be his backup.

I am curious if he pursues Nate Glantz from Iowa Western to add to the mix.
Did you hear enough to rank the long ball from that session?

I kind of got the feeling that it was something like this for the backups:

Masker
Haarberg
Smothers

I didn't see anything on Synek.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back