• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Calapari on the move???

The only reason he is looking around is because NYK apparently have had whispers of expressing some interest in him... and because his recruiting tactics are going to catch up to him eventually... and because the Kentucky fan base is getting tired of paying him so much money only to never win a Championship - they could care less how many guys he gets into the NBA if it doesn't bring them success in the postseason and I don't blame them. Sure he can dangle the names of Marcus Camby, DRose, Tyreke Evans, John Wall, Eric Bledsoe, and Demarcus Cousins which doesn't include guys from this year ie Anthony Davis (most likely #1 pick), Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and Terrance Jones who will both be lottery picks. Impressive resume with no Championships attached with too many 1 and done guys. He did have minor success at NJ when he coached in the NBA, but I really don't see him having more success there compared to college. Either way, Poyer is right, he has to get movin on before the deck of cards collapses.

By the way, Calipari has already coached in the NBA -- and failed. A .391 winning percentage in three seasons with the Nets (fired in year three).

He may very well jump to the NBA again -- but either because of huge dollars thrown his way and/or he's making a Pete Carroll type of move and bailing on a sinking ship due to pending violations at Kentucky. Otherwise, Kentucky is one of the top 2 or 3 coaching jobs in college hoops -- and he's not leaving for Nebraska.

Bingo. He did have one year with the Nets where they weren't pathetic and if Kittles wouldn't have gotten hurt, they might have been able to do a little something, but otherwise, yes. Comparison to PC - nail meet hammer.

If you believe the story he told a journalist writing a book about Duke/Kentucky, Calipari didn't want to leave the NBA in the first place. His wife certainly didn't want him to leave, she apparently hated the idea of living in Kentucky. According to Calipari, his next door neighbor at the time was a major motion picture director. He told him "Don't leave" but didn't explain further. The day after Calipari left for Kentucky because he didn't want to work with the GM he had anymore his next door neighbor became president of Paramount Pictures, owners of the team. Had he stayed the GM would have gotten fired and he could have kept coaching.

He was 3-17 with the Nets when he was fired (in '99, I believe). Maybe the GM would have kept him on a bit longer, but Calipari was a loser at that level and even a friendship with an owner can't overcome that forever.

... before the deck of cards collapses.

LOL, I believe the saying is HOUSE of cards. :Biggrin:

I don't understand why Calipari's name is even brought up here. Likewise, we have almost zero chance at Shaka Smart. I like Groce and think we could have a shot there. Marshall has a solid resume as well. Jeter and Strickland would definitely both be too much of a reach for a school like NU. Spinelli intrigues me though. The guy is supposedly a bulldog of a recruiter. In my opinion, we need someone that can get some talent in here, first and foremost.

Crazier things have happened!!! I think T.O. is going to hire a big name , who had success
at more the one place. Do we pick a coach from the NBA?? I know of several coach's
who would have success at NU if hired. Here's to T.O. getting it right for NU mens basketball.

I really do agree with part of your post.

LOL, I believe the saying is HOUSE of cards. :Biggrin:

I don't understand why Calipari's name is even brought up here. Likewise, we have almost zero chance at Shaka Smart. I like Groce and think we could have a shot there. Marshall has a solid resume as well. Jeter and Strickland would definitely both be too much of a reach for a school like NU. Spinelli intrigues me though. The guy is supposedly a bulldog of a recruiter. In my opinion, we need someone that can get some talent in here, first and foremost.

I think NU has a chance with Shaka Smart, it may be slim but there is a chance, especially if Illinois goes a different direction. If he is Illinois' first choice then no chance. Watching VCU yesterday was fun, they are fierce and aggressive, would be fun to see him in Lincoln. Saw an interview with him during the Indiana game and I really like him as well. Very well spoken and would be a good salesman for the program I believe.

Spinelli doesn't interest me too much, he may come in and prove me wrong though. For such a bulldog of a recruiter my question is, what talent did he bring into Lincoln while he was there?

Groce and Marshall are both interesting names. I would be happy with either of those guys.

Last edited:
I think NU has a chance with Shaka Smart, it may be slim but there is a chance, especially if Illinois goes a different direction.

Of course there is a chance. There's a chance Bill Self may resign and move to Lincoln, but that isn't happening either. I am afraid a lot of Husker fans are going to be a little disappointed with the new coach, and that's a shame.

Of course there is a chance. There's a chance Bill Self may resign and move to Lincoln, but that isn't happening either. I am afraid a lot of Husker fans are going to be a little disappointed with the new coach, and that's a shame.

If Illinois hires someone other than Shaka I don't see why NU wouldn't have a chance. I would put Self in the no chance category. Yeah yeah, there is always "technically" a chance, but that's not what I was saying regarding Smart. Smart may be less than a 10% chance, but Self would be infinitesimaly small.

You may be right about a lot of people being disappointed, there are certainly names that would disappoint me, namely those guys that are currently at mid majors and have never done anything there. Or somebody with zero experience ala Strickland.

Last edited:
If Illinois hires someone other than Shaka I don't see why NU wouldn't have a chance. I would put Self in the no chance category. Yeah yeah, there is always "technically" a chance, but that's not what I was saying regarding Smart. Smart may be less than a 10% chance, but Self would be infinitesimaly small.

You may be right about a lot of people being disappointed, there are certainly names that would disappoint me, namely those guys that are currently at mid majors and have never done anything there. Or somebody with zero experience ala Strickland.

Actually, I was being sarcastic about Bill Self. No amount of money would attract him to NU. He has already turned us down once.

Dr. Tom has hired two head coaches so far. In football, Nebraska has won five national championships, and he hired a coach with Nebraska ties but no head coaching experience. In baseball, Nebraska has been to the CWS 3 times, and he hired a head coach with Nebraska ties but no head coaching experience. In basketball, Nebraska has very little tradition. And I don't see Osborne opening up the checkbook and making a "big name" hire. That doesn't seem to be his style. Plus, I really doubt that Shaka wants to come to NU for any amount of money. I don't know that for sure, but I think he has other programs at the top of his list.

Last edited:

Actually, I was being sarcastic about Bill Self. No amount of money would attract him to NU. He has already turned us down once.

Dr. Tom has hired two head coaches so far. In football, Nebraska has won five national championships, and he hired a coach with Nebraska ties but no head coaching experience. In baseball, Nebraska has been to the CWS 3 times, and he hired a head coach with Nebraska ties but no head coaching experience. In basketball, Nebraska has very little tradition. And I don't see Osborne opening up the checkbook and making a "big name" hire. That doesn't seem to be his style. Plus, I really doubt that Shaka wants to come to NU for any amount of money. I don't know that for sure, but I think he has other programs at the top of his list.

I don't necesarrily disagree, I just wonder with the training facility and new arena coming how much that offsets lack of prior success. I am certainly not saying Shaka is interested, but I bet he would at least listen. Self for example would probably just chuckle at the notion.

I think NU has a chance with Shaka Smart, it may be slim but there is a chance, especially if Illinois goes a different direction. If he is Illinois' first choice then no chance. Watching VCU yesterday was fun, they are fierce and aggressive, would be fun to see him in Lincoln. Saw an interview with him during the Indiana game and I really like him as well. Very well spoken and would be a good salesman for the program I believe.

Spinelli doesn't interest me too much, he may come in and prove me wrong though. For such a bulldog of a recruiter my question is, what talent did he bring into Lincoln while he was there?

Groce and Marshall are both interesting names. I would be happy with either of those guys.

It was entertaining watching the VCU game yesterday. I would have no problem with Smart being the next husker coach.

There's no law that says smart has to leave this year. I think that's something people forget...there's an assumption he's leaving. I wouldn't assume that. His star will still burn bright for a couple years.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back