• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bye week recruiting round-up

I didn’t know that Ty Robinson was moving to NT and I’m not sure I like that move. What it says to me is that our staff has little confidence in Damion. With Robinson moving in and Hutmacher arriving it’s possible that Daniels might find himself as #3 if he isn’t “in shape”.

I don't necessarily like moving Robinson to NT either. I was counting on him being a guy who could take on doubles and beat single blockers and provide pressure. That said, a guy like that sliding to NT on 3rd and long could help us get more pressure on QB's. I definitely like the idea of having a good rotation and some special packages to get pressure

Thought there was some talk about Green playing at NT as well. I would be interested in knowing how many snaps Damion's been getting, though. No idea why we can't get this guy into enough shape to play a series

Frost sighting at Council Bluffs Lewis Central this morning. Most likely making a final pitch to 2020 SDE Logan Jones and checking up on 2021 TE recruit Thomas Fidone.

I don't necessarily like moving Robinson to NT either. I was counting on him being a guy who could take on doubles and beat single blockers and provide pressure. That said, a guy like that sliding to NT on 3rd and long could help us get more pressure on QB's. I definitely like the idea of having a good rotation and some special packages to get pressure

Thought there was some talk about Green playing at NT as well. I would be interested in knowing how many snaps Damion's been getting, though. No idea why we can't get this guy into enough shape to play a series
5 snaps last game.

South Alabama - 23 snaps
Colorado - 25 snaps
Northern Illinois - 22 snaps
Illinois - 17 snaps
Ohio State - 23 snaps
Northwestern - 7 snaps
Minnesota - 14 snaps
Indiana - 16 snaps
Purdue - 5 snaps

South Alabama - 23 snaps
Colorado - 25 snaps
Northern Illinois - 22 snaps
Illinois - 17 snaps
Ohio State - 23 snaps
Northwestern - 7 snaps
Minnesota - 14 snaps
Indiana - 16 snaps
Purdue - 5 snaps

I can see his snaps dropping against spread teams. I'd expect to see more of him against teams like Wiscy and Iowa. Although, that would depend on his conditioning and whether or not we think he'd get caught dead in the middle of a series.

I don't know if we struggle. We get guys other people want for the most part like Robinson and Washington. But part of me wonders if early on we are talking about how early playing time is a real possibility for these kids and then when it doesn't happen if they get frustrated? Just thinking out loud there.

I guess I'm just lamenting the fact that we seem to have a really hard time recruiting a featured back lately. Tre Bryant was the last one that I can recall, and he only had 1 good knee. Illinois, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Minnesota – none of them seem to struggle with finding a workhorse. Why do we? I'd be happy with the #1 guy on any of these rosters.

Love(d) the athleticism of MW, but he's just never going to be a between the tackles guy. And as great of an athlete as WR is, he's just not a big enough of a frame to inflict much damage at the LOS. And yes, we probably put both of those in the backfield largely out of necessity.

Just grumpy and surprised that we can't find a DOG (isn't that the technical term?) to put back there.

Last edited:
Hate to say this but why would a big bodied WR want to come here if we don't even use our big bodied (well, height wise) TE's? Frost has the reputation for liking to use small shifty dudes and I'm sure other teams point that out. Hard to argue when our 6'6" and 6'8" TE's barely average a catch a game. If I were an elite Big-bodied WR, I wouldn't want to come to a school and just block.

This says it all.

Why do we seem to struggle so much in RB recruiting?

Program stability?

Program performance?

Just guessing but a lot of guys don't want to go somewhere they think the coaches won't last or play on losing teams. Change those and we become more attractive.

They gotta get some guys. I'm intrigued by them looking at JUCO DBs. Feels like we are good there, but I suppose a guy like Tony Butler could be looking to transfer.

Yeah I'm a little surprised by the juco offers to DBs. I mean, offers they made early on to guys like Nadab Joseph and Brian George are probably offers they make every year for players like that. If you identify a potential day 1 starter at a position like corner, you make that overture all day.

All I can think is that they're pretty top and bottom heavy at DB. They're looking at seniors DiCaprio Bootle, Deontai Williams and Marquel Dismuke, then other than Cam Taylor-Britt, most everyone else is basically a redshirt frosh or a sophomore. A juco would balance the room a bit?

I guess I'm just lamenting the fact that we seem to have a really hard time recruiting a featured back lately. Tre Bryant was the last one that I can recall, and he only had 1 good knee. Illinois, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Minnesota – none of them seem to struggle with finding a workhorse. Why do we? I'd be happy with the #1 guy on any of these rosters.

Love(d) the athleticism of MW, but he's just never going to be a between the tackles guy. And as great of an athlete as WR is, he's just not a big enough of a frame to inflict much damage at the LOS. And yes, we probably put both of those in the backfield largely out of necessity.

Just grumpy and surprised that we can't find a DOG (isn't that the technical term?) to put back there.

An obsession with finding guys with track speed? Speed kills?

Yeah I'm a little surprised by the juco offers to DBs. I mean, offers they made early on to guys like Nadab Joseph and Brian George are probably offers they make every year for players like that. If you identify a potential day 1 starter at a position like corner, you make that overture all day.

All I can think is that they're pretty top and bottom heavy at DB. They're looking at seniors DiCaprio Bootle, Deontai Williams and Marquel Dismuke, then other than Cam Taylor-Britt, most everyone else is basically a redshirt frosh or a sophomore. A juco would balance the room a bit?

Great stuff ***!

Could see JoJo, Deonti, Taylor-Britt being bulked up over the winter to LB's.

Bigger point:

We need a Bill Snyder JUCO class, 4-6 4 star kids who can come in and be difference makers right now.
1 RB: Bell cow RB who is good for 15+ carries a game
2 Big body WR both block and receiver the ball
2 LBs with speed, speed and more speed.
1 DE who can rush the passer.

JUCO's because they have the added physical maturity to hold up for a Big Ten season that true freshmen don't, even talented ones.

God, I hope Corcoran can come on campus in Jan and start learning the o-line system.

Finally, Rahmir could be a transfer portal candidate. If I was him, I would be highly frustrated going into winter conditioning, a very depressing time of year, far from home: tough combination.

GBR

Program stability?

Program performance?

Just guessing but a lot of guys don't want to go somewhere they think the coaches won't last or play on losing teams. Change those and we become more attractive.

So how does Illinois land Corbin?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back