• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bye week recruiting round-up

Just thought i'd go over what I think. We will have to see what attrition does for the numbers, but this is what I think for now.

Current Ranking Rivals: 38th overall (9th B1G) (4th in the B1G by average star ranking)
Current Ranking 247: 32nd overall (8th B1G) (4th in the B1G by average star ranking)

Quarterback (1)
Commitments: Logan Smothers
Losses: None

With Logan Smothers committed, and losing no one, we are set here. Don't really need to go into great detail, but again, our QB depth will be outstanding for 2020. Martinez, Vedral, McCaffrey, and true freshman Smothers.

Runningback (2-3)
Commitments: Sevion Morrison and Marvin Scott III
Losses: Mo Washington and
possibly Jaylin Bradley
You could honestly beef this up to 4 commits this year if you wanted. We have lost Mo Washington, Ronald Thompkins just had a set back on his knee, Jaylin Bradley is probably gone after this season, and you have Wandale Robinson taking way more reps in the backfield than you need. Where it gets a bit tricky is someone like Will Nixon can also line up in the backfield for you. Good versatility to have. But the classes are starting to get a little bottom heavy with Dedrick Mills as a senior, losing Washington and most likely Bradley, leaves you with second year guys Johnson and Thompkins, and Robinson, and whoever else you bring in. Don't be shocked to see them take a flyer on a JUCO RB that may not have the offers others have for depth and class balancing. Grad transfers also a possibility.

Wide Receiver (3-5)
Commitments: Zavier Betts and Will Nixon
Losses: Jaron Woodyard, Mike Williams, Kanawai Noa, Andre Hunt, Miles Jones, and
possibly Jaevon McQuitty
That's a lot of guys we are losing, we are begging to have someone step up here, so I wouldn't be shocked to see us go 4-5 WRs here. Look at all those losses, while you may not be enamored with their skill, that's a ton of depth leaving. Zavier Betts if he gets cleared academically could play instantly with his sizer, and Nixon may bounce around like Robinson a bit. JUCO WR Omar Manning who was once thought of to be for sure coming is now going to be a tough pull. With Betts a possible academic risk, they have to go at least 2 more here minimum IMO.

Tightend (0-1)
Commitments:
Losses: Katerian LeGrone

Nebraska still feels great about their TE room. Vokolek becomes eligible next year, so with Stoll, Allen, and him, you look great. If i'm Rafdal, i'm probably looking around, but I don't want to say that's a definite. In an offense struggling to get the ball to the TE, not sure i'd stick around as the 4th string guy. With LeGrone gone, you probably need to take another one just to balance out the classes. We get thin in a hurry as we are very top heavy. But I could also see them bypassing this and going JUCO and high school for the 2021 class. Not much action here.

Offensive Line (2-4)
Commitments: Turner Corcoran and Alex Conn
Losses: Christian Gaylord (medical?)

You possibly will lose zero offensive linemen if Gaylord gets a medical redshirt. However, guys like Will Farniok and John Raridon are guys i'd watch in the portal. They most likely are taking one more guy here, but not sure what we are looking at because if Gaylord returns, again, you may lose zero and we would be done taking people. I still think we try to find one more guy.

Noseguard (1-2)
Commitments: Nash Hutmacher
Losses: Darrion Daniels

With the loss of Daniels, we are in trouble here. We need Damion Daniels to get in better shape, Ty Robinson to really take to the move to NG, or Nash Hutmacher to be ready. I don't like either of those 3 scenarios and quite frankly, Darrion Daniels is as good of a NG as we can expect. We are certainly going to see a dip here. But, we got our #1 target with Nash and stole him from Wisconsin. Tough to be anything but happy with NG. Don't be surprised at a JUCO or another Grad Transfer.

Defensive End (2-4)
Commitments: Marquis Black
Losses: Khalil Davis, Carlos Davis, Daishon Neal, Vaha Vainuku

Along with losing our starting NG, we lose basically our 2 starting DEs. Ben Stille and Deontre Thomas soften that blow, along with Jahkeem Green who will surely be in the mix. And it will be time to see what guys like Tate Wildeman, Casey Rogers, and Mosai Newsom look like to add depth. I originally had this at 2-3 spots but I wouldn't be surprised to see us take a few more. With Piper on offense, Banks move to offense, and Robinson sliding down to NG. We have got to create depth after Stille and Thomas are gone. They need at least 1 more DE if not 2. That said, JUCO always an option. I'm also not sure what Black projects to, he could be either a DE or NG. I could see Nelson sliding down to DE like Stille did, but I pray that they keep Gunnerson at OLB.

Outside Linebacker (2-4)
Commitments: Blaise Gunnerson
Losses: Alex Davis, Tyrin Ferguson, and Pernell Jefferson

I don't like this at all... no one could beat out Alex Davis, so we are going to be reliant on Nelson, Tannor, and Domann all next year. Throw in the rumors of Domann and we are in a world of hurt if he leaves. I will count on them saying he's a captain next year and playing every snap to keep him. We only have Gunnerson committed at the position that scares me the most for our defense, and we need a couple more guys. We gotta go get at least 2 more high school guys or hit JUCO hard. I can't believe more people aren't jumping at the chance to come play for us, but then again, anyone good is being told they can play right now anywhere.

Inside Linebacker (1-2)
Commitments:
Losses: Mo Barry

We had an unreal class last year with Nick Henrich, Jackson Hannah, and Garrett Snodgrass, I would actually say it's a top 5 nationally ILB class. Throw in Luke Reimers as a walk-on kicking tail, and we are good but young. But this current class has fallen on its face with Groce decommitting and another ILB choosing Wisconsin over us. You have to bolster your depth here since your 2 starters for 2020 will be graduating in Honas and Miller.

Defensive Back (3-5)
Commitments: Ronald Delancy, Henry Gray, Tamon Lynum
Losses: Lamar Jackson, Avery Anderson, Eric Lee, Jeremiah Stovall

I put corners and safeties together because every commit we get says "they told me I could play any position" so i'm done trying to decipher it. I feel really good about DB for us. Fisher has proven he can develop and I like the guys he is bringing in. We return Deontai Williams, Marquel Dismuke, Cam Taylor-Britt, Dicaprio Bootle, and Braxton Clark that we can rely on. Guys like Quinton Newsome, Noa Pola-Gates, Myles Farmer, and Javin Wright make this room pretty stacked for next year.

Last edited:
Surprised there isn't more dialogue on this already. Great write up. Linebacker and NG scares the hell out of me for next year. I wish we could get glimpses of Henrich, Hannah, and Snodgrass before the year is up but that doesn't seem likely. I think we have to find guys either at the JUCO level to help supply depth and experience or go get another scotch tape grad transfer.

Receiver is also terrifying. Outside of Wandale and Spielman, are receivers are just not good for this offense. I'm surprised more guys aren't looking at what Stanley did last year and saying, yep, I can do that. Is that an indictment on Walters or do we just not have the right guys?

Just thought i'd go over what I think. We will have to see what attrition does for the numbers, but this is what I think for now.

Current Ranking Rivals: 38th overall (9th B1G) (4th in the B1G by average star ranking)
Current Ranking 247: 32nd overall (8th B1G) (4th in the B1G by average star ranking)

Quarterback (1)
Commitments: Logan Smothers
Losses: None

With Logan Smothers committed, and losing no one, we are set here. Don't really need to go into great detail, but again, our QB depth will be outstanding for 2020. Martinez, Vedral, McCaffrey, and true freshman Smothers.

Runningback (2-3)
Commitments: Sevion Morrison and Marvin Scott III
Losses: Mo Washington and
possibly Jaylin Bradley
You could honestly beef this up to 4 commits this year if you wanted. We have lost Mo Washington, Ronald Thompkins just had a set back on his knee, Jaylin Bradley is probably gone after this season, and you have Wandale Robinson taking way more reps in the backfield than you need. Where it gets a bit tricky is someone like Will Nixon can also line up in the backfield for you. Good versatility to have. But the classes are starting to get a little bottom heavy with Dedrick Mills as a senior, losing Washington and most likely Bradley, leaves you with second year guys Johnson and Thompkins, and Robinson, and whoever else you bring in. Don't be shocked to see them take a flyer on a JUCO RB that may not have the offers others have for depth and class balancing. Grad transfers also a possibility.

Wide Receiver (3-5)
Commitments: Zavier Betts and Will Nixon
Losses: Jaron Woodyard, Mike Williams, Kanawai Noa, Andre Hunt, Miles Jones, and
possibly Jaevon McQuitty
That's a lot of guys we are losing, we are begging to have someone step up here, so I wouldn't be shocked to see us go 4-5 WRs here. Look at all those losses, while you may not be enamored with their skill, that's a ton of depth leaving. Zavier Betts if he gets cleared academically could play instantly with his sizer, and Nixon may bounce around like Robinson a bit. JUCO WR Omar Manning who was once thought of to be for sure coming is now going to be a tough pull. With Betts a possible academic risk, they have to go at least 2 more here minimum IMO.

Tightend (0-1)
Commitments:
Losses: Katerian LeGrone

Nebraska still feels great about their TE room. Vokolek becomes eligible next year, so with Stoll, Allen, and him, you look great. If i'm Rafdal, i'm probably looking around, but I don't want to say that's a definite. In an offense struggling to get the ball to the TE, not sure i'd stick around as the 4th string guy. With LeGrone gone, you probably need to take another one just to balance out the classes. We get thin in a hurry as we are very top heavy. But I could also see them bypassing this and going JUCO and high school for the 2021 class. Not much action here.

Offensive Line (2-4)
Commitments: Turner Corcoran and Alex Conn
Losses: Christian Gaylord (medical?)

You possibly will lose zero offensive linemen if Gaylord gets a medical redshirt. However, guys like Will Farniok and John Raridon are guys i'd watch in the portal. They most likely are taking one more guy here, but not sure what we are looking at because if Gaylord returns, again, you may lose zero and we would be done taking people. I still think we try to find one more guy.

Noseguard (1-2)
Commitments: Nash Hutmacher
Losses: Darrion Daniels

With the loss of Daniels, we are in trouble here. We need Damion Daniels to get in better shape, Ty Robinson to really take to the move to NG, or Nash Hutmacher to be ready. I don't like either of those 3 scenarios and quite frankly, Darrion Daniels is as good of a NG as we can expect. We are certainly going to see a dip here. But, we got our #1 target with Nash and stole him from Wisconsin. Tough to be anything but happy with NG. Don't be surprised at a JUCO or another Grad Transfer.

Defensive End (2-4)
Commitments: Marquis Black
Losses: Khalil Davis, Carlos Davis, Daishon Neal, Vaha Vainuku

Along with losing our starting NG, we lose basically our 2 starting DEs. Ben Stille and Deontre Thomas soften that blow, along with Jahkeem Green who will surely be in the mix. And it will be time to see what guys like Tate Wildeman, Casey Rogers, and Mosai Newsom look like to add depth. I originally had this at 2-3 spots but I wouldn't be surprised to see us take a few more. With Piper on offense, Banks move to offense, and Robinson sliding down to NG. We have got to create depth after Stille and Thomas are gone. They need at least 1 more DE if not 2. That said, JUCO always an option. I'm also not sure what Black projects to, he could be either a DE or NG. I could see Nelson sliding down to DE like Stille did, but I pray that they keep Gunnerson at OLB.

Outside Linebacker (2-4)
Commitments: Blaise Gunnerson
Losses: Alex Davis, Tyrin Ferguson, and Pernell Jefferson

I don't like this at all... no one could beat out Alex Davis, so we are going to be reliant on Nelson, Tannor, and Domann all next year. Throw in the rumors of Domann and we are in a world of hurt if he leaves. I will count on them saying he's a captain next year and playing every snap to keep him. We only have Gunnerson committed at the position that scares me the most for our defense, and we need a couple more guys. We gotta go get at least 2 more high school guys or hit JUCO hard. I can't believe more people aren't jumping at the chance to come play for us, but then again, anyone good is being told they can play right now anywhere.

Inside Linebacker (1-2)
Commitments:
Losses: Mo Barry

We had an unreal class last year with Nick Henrich, Jackson Hannah, and Garrett Snodgrass, I would actually say it's a top 5 nationally ILB class. Throw in Luke Reimers as a walk-on kicking tail, and we are good but young. But this current class has fallen on its face with Groce decommitting and another ILB choosing Wisconsin over us. You have to bolster your depth here since your 2 starters for 2020 will be graduating in Honas and Miller.

Defensive Back (3-5)
Commitments: Ronald Delancy, Henry Gray, Tamon Lynum
Losses: Lamar Jackson, Avery Anderson, Eric Lee, Jeremiah Stovall

I put corners and safeties together because every commit we get says "they told me I could play any position" so i'm done trying to decipher it. I feel really good about DB for us. Fisher has proven he can develop and I like the guys he is bringing in. We return Deontai Williams, Marquel Dismuke, Cam Taylor-Britt, Dicaprio Bootle, and Braxton Clark that we can rely on. Guys like Quinton Newsome, Noa Pola-Gates, Myles Farmer, and Javin Wright make this room pretty stacked for next year.

DB - 4 or 5 - Lose Jackson, Lee, Anderson, Stovall, so we return some good players. Have Gray and Lynum committed. Probably need another safety and another corner.
Man, good stuff as always.... Thanks for posting all the stuff you do. :thumbsup: :Cheers:

Ryan Held hitting the junior colleges and making some offers this week. Already have offers out to OLB DeVere Levelston, CB Jakorian Bennett and DE Julius Coates.

Surprised there isn't more dialogue on this already. Great write up. Linebacker and NG scares the hell out of me for next year. I wish we could get glimpses of Henrich, Hannah, and Snodgrass before the year is up but that doesn't seem likely. I think we have to find guys either at the JUCO level to help supply depth and experience or go get another scotch tape grad transfer.

Receiver is also terrifying. Outside of Wandale and Spielman, are receivers are just not good for this offense. I'm surprised more guys aren't looking at what Stanley did last year and saying, yep, I can do that. Is that an indictment on Walters or do we just not have the right guys?
I have zero answers on why we can't get a big bodied WR. If it wasn't for Betts living in Omaha, we would really be in trouble. I don't think it's an indictment on Walters, but somethings going on.

Why do we seem to struggle so much in RB recruiting?
I don't know if we struggle. We get guys other people want for the most part like Robinson and Washington. But part of me wonders if early on we are talking about how early playing time is a real possibility for these kids and then when it doesn't happen if they get frustrated? Just thinking out loud there.

Ryan Held hitting the junior colleges and making some offers this week. Already have offers out to OLB DeVere Levelston, CB Jakorian Bennett and DE Julius Coates.
They gotta get some guys. I'm intrigued by them looking at JUCO DBs. Feels like we are good there, but I suppose a guy like Tony Butler could be looking to transfer.

How many years does it take for Damion Daniels to get into shape?
I didn’t know that Ty Robinson was moving to NT and I’m not sure I like that move. What it says to me is that our staff has little confidence in Damion. With Robinson moving in and Hutmacher arriving it’s possible that Daniels might find himself as #3 if he isn’t “in shape”.

Judging by their names only, these guys must be good players. Their names back that up!!!

Currently we're sitting at a 2020 budget of 21. 21 = 16 graduating seniors + 2 open scholarship + 3 Big Ten. With Washington, Hunt, and Legrone almost certainly not coming back, that brings the number up to 24. A couple of others will definitely leave after the year, so we'll more than likely have 25+ openings.

We're unable to count anyone back to the 2019 class, so we'll have to get creative if we want to fill the scholarships for 2020. If Gaylord is able to get a sixth year, that could help. With Jaron Woodyard only playing in 2 games so far, does Frost redshirt him and bring him back for 2020? If Woodyard comes back, that could help with depth issues.

I have zero answers on why we can't get a big bodied WR. If it wasn't for Betts living in Omaha, we would really be in trouble. I don't think it's an indictment on Walters, but somethings going on.

Hate to say this but why would a big bodied WR want to come here if we don't even use our big bodied (well, height wise) TE's? Frost has the reputation for liking to use small shifty dudes and I'm sure other teams point that out. Hard to argue when our 6'6" and 6'8" TE's barely average a catch a game. If I were an elite Big-bodied WR, I wouldn't want to come to a school and just block.

Hate to say this but why would a big bodied WR want to come here if we don't even use our big bodied (well, height wise) TE's? Frost has the reputation for liking to use small shifty dudes and I'm sure other teams point that out. Hard to argue when our 6'6" and 6'8" TE's barely average a catch a game. If I were an elite Big-bodied WR, I wouldn't want to come to a school and just block.

We used Morgan a lot. That's a better comp than the TE's, IMO

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back