• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bye-bye Hoiberg??

Status
Not open for further replies.

NE FREAK

'17 Camaro 2SS named NE FREAK
10 Year Member
HC Hoiberg is 5-36 in the B1G in 2 1/2 season. I find it really hard to believe he'll be back next year. I hope I'm wrong & he gets the program turned around quickly. Don't think we'll get another BIG name successful coach wanting this mess.

HC Hoiberg is 5-36 in the B1G in 2 1/2 season. I find it really hard to believe he'll be back next year. I hope I'm wrong & he gets the program turned around quickly. Don't think we'll get another BIG name successful coach wanting this mess.
It’s such a bummer right now to have “dream hires” for both MBB and Football and have them both be complete dumpster fires. It’s sobering to think that I’ll never see a NCAA tourney team again in my lifetime. :Cry:

I'm not sure whose failures so far are more surprising between Frost and Hoiberg. Both seemed like absolute home run hires at the time, but literally almost nothing has gone right for either of them. Somehow the two programs (at least in terms of W-L) are below the modest levels where Riley and Miles had them.

He is the Frost equivalent. Although Frost is much farther below the long-term average than Hoiberg is.

I just hope Fred gets as much time to turn it around as Frost has.

Careful here. Right now it goes way beyond bad basketball. We have a lack of effort, team work, team orientation, and the lowest basketball IQ I have ever seen. It isn’t just losing, it’s a new level of futility. A lot of folks want to tie it to football or use it as yet another reason to vent about Frost and football. There are if course some similarities. But we’re on track to finish dead last 3 straight years, with the opposite of progress being made. And right now these guys aren’t trying. Football had a lot of problems but the guys tried their asses off against Wiscy and Iowa when we had nothing to play for other than pride.

Would love to see Fred flip the switch and figure some things out. But he has to make major, dramatic changes with the entire program. His willingness to do that, as well as his desire, might impact how much time he gets.

Careful here. Right now it goes way beyond bad basketball. We have a lack of effort, team work, team orientation, and the lowest basketball IQ I have ever seen. It isn’t just losing, it’s a new level of futility. A lot of folks want to tie it to football or use it as yet another reason to vent about Frost and football. There are if course some similarities. But we’re on track to finish dead last 3 straight years, with the opposite of progress being made. And right now these guys aren’t trying. Football had a lot of problems but the guys tried their asses off against Wiscy and Iowa when we had nothing to play for other than pride.

Would love to see Fred flip the switch and figure some things out. But he has to make major, dramatic changes with the entire program. His willingness to do that, as well as his desire, might impact how much time he gets.

To this point, Frost is the worst coach in Nebraska football history. I'm not sure if Fred is there or not -- but again, he's been with the program a year less than Frost. I really would have no problem if we dumped both yesterday, but if we're comparing two bad coaches -- and one who not only has been in Lincoln a year longer -- but with infinitely greater importance than our basketball program -- then I cannot give Frost any more credit than Fred.

Also -- the Big Ten is a better basketball conference than football. And there are no divisions in basketball. We play football in a division that is very winnable. Yet we are the only Big Ten West team to finish in the bottom three of the division each of the past four seasons.

Seems this is in reference to today's ugly loss. But not mentioning that we actually played Michigan State and Ohio State quite well in the prior two games. Yes, we suck -- I know that. But where was this thread after MSU or OSU?

I'm sorry, I can't bash Fred any more than Frost. Won't happen.

The players can't shoot, they are undisciplined, and force shots. Fred has the Japanese kid starting. He is a boy among men. He's not a Big Ten basketball player. Supposed to be a shooter...maybe he was at the community College level and that 3 on 3 thing they do in the Olympics but not now.

This team is a mess, it has no direction, and a completely wreckless style of play.

I think Hoiberg was expecting to use his ISU playbook from 10 years ago, before transfers were so common. Now he's trying to pull second-chance players that have an opportunity to go anywhere -- whereas they didn't when he and Abdelmassih opened up the ISU roster to all sorts of transfers.

Verge is trying to become a point guard... but won't make it in college. He might in the pros, like Banton did. Webster is another prolific scorer trying to become a point guard, though he is further along.

As far as team players, I don't like the starting lineup except for Walker. Wilcher is a better option, but he has to play forward because Breidenbach is out. I think Bryce McGowans has to come back next year, and I think Trey would as well unless he has an amazing season after returning from injury.

What's coming to help? Blaise Keita will be nice... no clue if Kojenets ever plays. Breidenbach is a player, I hope he's back next year as well. Next year will feature 2 freshman point guards unless there's another coming in the transfer portal.

If the McGowans move on, you have a team based around Derrick Walker and... what, Wilcher? Tominaga? Mayen? Starting from scratch again in year four might be too much for Trev to take.

To this point, Frost is the worst coach in Nebraska football history. I'm not sure if Fred is there or not -- but again, he's been with the program a year less than Frost. I really would have no problem if we dumped both yesterday, but if we're comparing two bad coaches -- and one who not only has been in Lincoln a year longer -- but with infinitely greater importance than our basketball program -- then I cannot give Frost any more credit than Fred.

Also -- the Big Ten is a better basketball conference than football. And there are no divisions in basketball. We play football in a division that is very winnable. Yet we are the only Big Ten West team to finish in the bottom three of the division each of the past four seasons.

Seems this is in reference to today's ugly loss. But not mentioning that we actually played Michigan State and Ohio State quite well in the prior two games. Yes, we suck -- I know that. But where was this thread after MSU or OSU?

I'm sorry, I can't bash Fred any more than Frost. Won't happen.

Not asking you to do that. But it seems many want to use Fred’s unfortunate situation as just another opportunity to bash Frost. We have a football board for that, and man does it get used. The hoops situation has nothing to do with Frost.

I can assure you my posts were not remotely driven by just today’s game. FWIW, I saw this happening 2 years ago and posted that on a different board. Our moderator Red Don can confirm that. I have been very close to the program for over 30 years. I have absorbed all that has been involved with Husker hoops for much longer than that. I don’t overreact to one game, or one season. God knows I can take a lack of success in that program; 43 years of consecutive purchases of season tickets can attest to that. This is a new level of futility that runs throughout the program.

Just 5 years ago we went 13-5 in that difficult league. Fred is 4-46 in our last 50 against Power 6 teams. We have lost several buy in games at home. Fred is 5-39 in the league. 1-27 in road games. Maybe this is the bottom and he’ll turn it around, amd I don’t know anything. But watching each and every game it is hard to have that feeling.

Not asking you to do that. But it seems many want to use Fred’s unfortunate situation as just another opportunity to bash Frost. We have a football board for that, and man does it get used. The hoops situation has nothing to do with Frost.

I can assure you my posts were not remotely driven by just today’s game. FWIW, I saw this happening 2 years ago and posted that on a different board. Our moderator Red Don can confirm that. I have been very close to the program for over 30 years. I have absorbed all that has been involved with Husker hoops for much longer than that. I don’t overreact to one game, or one season. God knows I can take a lack of success in that program; 43 years of consecutive purchases of season tickets can attest to that. This is a new level of futility that runs throughout the program.

Just 5 years ago we went 13-5 in that difficult league. Fred is 4-46 in our last 50 against Power 6 teams. We have lost several buy in games at home. Fred is 5-39 in the league. 1-27 in road games. Maybe this is the bottom and he’ll turn it around, amd I don’t know anything. But watching each and every game it is hard to have that feeling.
Going back to Collier as coach, there were walk-ons that could come in for effort plays. Tim Miles signed high level players, but still ended up with kids from Nebraska coming in to solidify things when it went sideways. I'm not saying that kids from Nebraska is the only answer, but when you have a team that doesn't play with pride, I'm missing Tanner Borchardt and Johnny Trueblood -- they might have lost, but they gave all the effort. Heck, this team would be better with Thorbjarnarson back this year -- at least he would run the plays that were called.

Akol Arop and Brady Heiman probably weren't the answer, but I'd like to have them on this team this year to shore up the effort.

Very frustrating to watch someone who has had success in college and the pros consistently fail. Maybe it is Nebraska.

I think Hoiberg was expecting to use his ISU playbook from 10 years ago, before transfers were so common. Now he's trying to pull second-chance players that have an opportunity to go anywhere -- whereas they didn't when he and Abdelmassih opened up the ISU roster to all sorts of transfers.

Verge is trying to become a point guard... but won't make it in college. He might in the pros, like Banton did. Webster is another prolific scorer trying to become a point guard, though he is further along.

As far as team players, I don't like the starting lineup except for Walker. Wilcher is a better option, but he has to play forward because Breidenbach is out. I think Bryce McGowans has to come back next year, and I think Trey would as well unless he has an amazing season after returning from injury.

What's coming to help? Blaise Keita will be nice... no clue if Kojenets ever plays. Breidenbach is a player, I hope he's back next year as well. Next year will feature 2 freshman point guards unless there's another coming in the transfer portal.

If the McGowans move on, you have a team based around Derrick Walker and... what, Wilcher? Tominaga? Mayen? Starting from scratch again in year four might be too much for Trev to take.

Agree, I think Hoiberg is trying to use a recruiting system and his drive and shoot a bunch of 3's offensive system from years ago. It doesn't work when you don't have the guys to do it, as we're clearly seeing.

Recruiting has seemed to improve, but I think it's because he is getting guys who are supposedly really good in one area, but not others. McGowans, highly rated, but I don't think the Duke's of the world were going after him. Now I see why. He is pretty good at slashing to the basket and has a decent midrange shot, but other than at, he's not much of a playmaker passing, doesn't rebound much, and doesn't defend well. Verge can dribble fast, but that's his main skill. Doesn't seem to have any other polished skills. Most of our guys have glaring weaknesses in multiple areas of the game.

Can't have guys launching 3's that can't shoot. Gotta recruit more guys who can shoot AND do one other skill at least halfway decent. Walker I like because he has a couple of skills that he uses, rebounding and inside offensive game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back