• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Burkhead with a great special teams play

I'm really pleased he is with NE. This lengthy successful series of years is a once in alifetime event, and i am glad he has become part of it. Nothing like it, even the Wiooden UCLA years.

I guess I miss something - I think a team that keeps its problems quiet, that works like a team with non-star players playing as hard as star players, that has an icon at QB who is willing to take a whole lot less in salary than he could command so that more money is avaible for other players, with a coach who has shown he is briliant and can keep excellent assistants with him year after year, with a shifting array of players (many of whom have been shucuked off by other teams) turning from ragmuffins to brilliant - I see that as something I admire. I've neve understood the hate, either for the coach, the QB or the team.

Envy, yes I can see that in some people, jealously too. But hate? I consider myself liucky to have lived to experience such a lengthy successful performance.

He doesn’t really fit the mold of Frost’s running backs (too slow), but I’m sure he’d have been useful.

I understand what you mean, but Ziggy didn't fit the Scott Frost "mold" either. Rex would have done very well in this system.
I have watched Rex play since 9th grade. Texas didn't recruit him hard because he wasn't fast enough. They slow played him. People have doubted the guy all the way up the chain. Yet, in the fourth quarter, with the Super Bowl on the line, there he was getting the ball in the AFC title game. Several times.
He fits the mindset and toughness that this program needs right now. I think he would have been much more than just useful.

I'm really pleased he is with NE. This lengthy successful series of years is a once in alifetime event, and i am glad he has become part of it. Nothing like it, even the Wiooden UCLA years.

I guess I miss something - I think a team that keeps its problems quiet, that works like a team with non-star players playing as hard as star players, that has an icon at QB who is willing to take a whole lot less in salary than he could command so that more money is avaible for other players, with a coach who has shown he is briliant and can keep excellent assistants with him year after year, with a shifting array of players (many of whom have been shucuked off by other teams) turning from ragmuffins to brilliant - I see that as something I admire. I've neve understood the hate, either for the coach, the QB or the team.

Envy, yes I can see that in some people, jealously too. But hate? I consider myself liucky to have lived to experience such a lengthy successful performance.
In some ways kind of reminiscent of the Huskers in mid-'90s ... or Alabama right now.

Having said that ...
Belicheck can be a bit of a jerk ... ever watch any of his interviews. He isn't being sly, he's just being an arrogant jerk.
NEP is also the center of a couple of alleged cheating scandals. Probably were made bigger deals than they deserved to be but both showed an organizational attitude.
No one is crying for TB12 and the salary he's making ... he's smart enough to want to surround himself with players ...with the money he and Gisele bring in his great-great-great grandchildren will never have to work if they so chose.

I'm not a big Patriots fan, but I respect what they do. It seems they take a guy like Burkhead, who has not really done much in the NFL, and all of a sudden he's playing lights out. Diamonds in the rough stuff.

I'm not a big Patriots fan, but I respect what they do. It seems they take a guy like Burkhead, who has not really done much in the NFL, and all of a sudden he's playing lights out. Diamonds in the rough stuff.
Burkhead was stuck behind two solid RBs at Cincinnati. Hard to argue he should've been playing ahead of those guys. Having said that the NEP use RBs better than just about anyone in the NFL.

Patriots took Burkhead because he's versatile: he can run, catch, and block very well, as well as make plays on special teams.

Just saying! He's proved that!

Last edited:
0007780_super-bowl-preview-ne-patriots.jpeg

As a Jets fan, I have no problem saying “I hate the Pats!” I don’t like the Celtics, Bruins or Red Sox either.
Your HATE should be directed at the front office of the NYJ. It isnt the Pats fault they are a better run organization.

Last edited:
I understand what you mean, but Ziggy didn't fit the Scott Frost "mold" either. Rex would have done very well in this system.
I have watched Rex play since 9th grade. Texas didn't recruit him hard because he wasn't fast enough. They slow played him. People have doubted the guy all the way up the chain. Yet, in the fourth quarter, with the Super Bowl on the line, there he was getting the ball in the AFC title game. Several times.
He fits the mindset and toughness that this program needs right now. I think he would have been much more than just useful.
Spot on.

SUPEREBOWL Stats for Rex:

Rushing:
.................ATT YDS TD LG FPT
R. Burkhead.. 7... 43... 0.. 26..5

RECEIVING :
.................TAR REC YDS TD LG FPTS
R. Burkhead ..2.... 2... 15.. 0.. 8... 5

Rex Burkhead saw time in the backfield for the Patriots and helped the team rack up 407 total offensive yards with 253 yards through the air and 154 on the ground. Burkhead recorded seven rushes for 43 yards and averaged 6.1 yards per carry. His longest rush of the day was 26-yards late in the fourth quarter. Burkhead's longest rush of the day helped New England drive down the field on their final scoring possession to make the score 13-3 with 1:12 left in the contest. He also recorded two receptions for 15 yards. Burkhead saw action in 26 percent of the Patriot offensive plays and also participated in 67 percent of the team's special team opportunities.

Ndamukong Suh, a former Blackshirt, also saw action in the contest and was on the opposing team. Suh started at nose tackle for the Rams and contributed two tackles and a quarterback hurry. He appeared in 92 percent of the Rams' defensive opportunities and was also in for six special team snaps.

Last edited:

Your HATE should be directed at the front office of the NYJ. It isnt the Pats fault they are a better run organization.
The Patriots have feasted on the ineptness of the Jets, Bills and Dolphins over the last decade and a half. Everyone goes through cycles but some of the Patriots success has to be how they dominated the AFC East for almost 2 decades.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back