• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bunchie

The kid is smart. His father played the game. He knows what is best for him and he knows overall, redshirting will not only benefit his development, but give him 2 years to lead this team as the starting QB.
Actually I love the one year AM led this team

Actually I love the one year AM led this team
So did I, but you missed the point. I was not speaking from a fan perspective, but from a player's. It's also preferable to have that two year gap between your top recruits. It also negates - somewhat - frustration created when a 4* player has to wait 3 years to get a chance to start.

Last edited:
Sit out and learn the position and the scheme. Don't underestimate the difficulty in the changes Freshmen have to go through when academics are also important. And when the guy has not even played the position very long, he needs at least one year acclimization unless he turns out to be a generational QB. Some young guys never reach their potential because coaches rush them in too early I am told, and that seems to make some sense. I wouldn't want to risk that this early in SF's career at NU.

That's whey Bunch staying is very important. I hope he does stay.

Mc Caffery will jump to the number 2 spot. Vedral and Bunch are both number 3, if Bunch wants to play he has to leave.
I suppose you have informed Coach Frost of this.So nice of you to relieve him of the pressure of this decision

Luke is not Tua or Lawrence. He needs work and physical development. Unless you are Alabama or Clemson, if you lose your QB1, there will always be a drop off. I wouldn't expect to win anything if AM goes down next year. It will take some time to produce the depth we need at the position.

This is how I see his development working. I like Luke a lot as a QB prospect, but he completed a relatively low percentage of passes as a starter last year in HS. That's lower than his spot time the earlier two years, and can possibly be attributed to a lot of things (e.g., talent around him?), but it's also likely an indication that he'll need time to get comfortable with the throws we want him to make

That said, the 4 game RS rule really helps us here. We can give him a taste of action and I can see Frost working in a play or two for a guy like him as well, just to throw a bit of a surprise into opponents

So AM missed his senior season, correct? Did he start both his sophomore season and junior season or just the junior year? My hope is that Mac comes in and puts on good weight and can be the number 2 man, get his 4 games in and then redshirt. I don't know who should be number 2 but I wasn't really impressed with Vedral. I hope and pray we don't need a back up QB.

So AM missed his senior season, correct? Did he start both his sophomore season and junior season or just the junior year? My hope is that Mac comes in and puts on good weight and can be the number 2 man, get his 4 games in and then redshirt. I don't know who should be number 2 but I wasn't really impressed with Vedral. I hope and pray we don't need a back up QB.
Yes he did start his Soph and Jr. Seasons

Careful you wil tick some thin skinned husker fans off.

So did I, but you missed the point. I was not speaking from a fan perspective, but from a player's. It's also preferable to have that two year gap between your top recruits. It also negates - somewhat - frustration created when a 4* player has to wait 3 years to get a chance to start.
If someone can beat out AM, IM sure Frost will give him the opportunity.

If someone can beat out AM, IM sure Frost will give him the opportunity.
My point is...nobody is beating AM out as long as he is a Husker. Redshirting gives Luke two years to take over the reigns his jr. And sr. Season.

Devils advocate here... do you feel that would stunt his development as a QB considering he hasn’t had a ton of experience playing QB to this point?
Assuming Martinez is around for 3 more seasons, and assuming LM can provide immediate and significant WR help, I think it would be worth it.

If he's no better than, say, your #5 receiver, then maybe not.

Can he be a top flight kick/punt returner? That's pretty valuable, too.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back