• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bubble Watch

I am cool with not sending 1s and 2s all the way across the country but there comes a point where it's a little TOO cozy IMO. Duke and UNC in North Carolina? As a 3 seed? Creighton is probably going to get a 3 and they are going to get shipped to San Antonio...to potentially play Texas. That's crap....a better seed should never have to play a "road" game. And then you have a potential 9 loss Kansas that is virtually assured of a protected seed in St. Louis. No system is perfect I guess but it does lead to some less than fair situations.

This has annoyed the heck out of me too... the fanbases that will drive 3-4 hours get a huge reward... It is all about money with the NCAA as they do not want the regional sites to look completely empty so the larger fanbases get preference even if the seed should not reflect it.

This has annoyed the heck out of me too... the fanbases that will drive 3-4 hours get a huge reward... It is all about money with the NCAA as they do not want the regional sites to look completely empty so the larger fanbases get preference even if the seed should not reflect it.

I can tell you that CU fans were DYING to get CU into the st. Louis site. Many years of having a great time in SL for the MVC tourney and the 5-6 hour drive would have assured a big crowd of jays. But at least it's 5-6 hours and a different state.

That said...KU and Wichita will also ensure that it's well attended.

Just to be sure...probably best if a bunch of teams that wouldn't normally make the dance don't beat teams that will go regardless. i.e. St. Mary's v. Gonzaga tonight. St. Mary's isn't dancing unless they beat Gonzaga. Gonzaga is going either via conf. title or at-large.

Nice to see Kentucky fall out the polls. That was the preseason #1 team -- first time the AP preseason #1 team has fallen out of the polls since 1979-80. Calipari, for the second consecutive season, is hardly looking like the hero in Lexington he once was perceived to be. It's not so easy to plug in 3, 4, 5 McDonald's All-American types as freshman every season and expect to be the best in the nation -- and I find this refreshing to see. Maybe just because I really don't care for Calipari.

Nice to see Kentucky fall out the polls. That was the preseason #1 team -- first time the AP preseason #1 team has fallen out of the polls since 1979-80. Calipari, for the second consecutive season, is hardly looking like the hero in Lexington he once was perceived to be. It's not so easy to plug in 3, 4, 5 McDonald's All-American types as freshman every season and expect to be the best in the nation -- and I find this refreshing to see. Maybe just because I really don't care for Calipari.

For the rest of college basketball it's probably best that "one and done" is the rule.

If there were a requirement that players stick around for 3 years Calipari would probably be winning national titles every year. The big problem for him, as you pointed out is that he's turning a large chunk of his roster every year...and nearly 100% of his best players every year. If he had these guys for 3 years they'd be monsters by their Jr. seasons. Of course, under that scenario the 5* guys would be a little more spread out but those guys would still only spread out among about 6-7 programs.

If I was a fan of UNC or Duke or Kentucky I'd hate the current rule. As a fan of a couple programs that really don't ever have to worry about "one and done" guys that rule really helps even things out. Teams like NU, CU, Iowa, San Diego State, Villanova, Virginia, Wisco, etc. can't recruit like UK and UNC but can build veteran TEAMS that can compete.

For the rest of college basketball it's probably best that "one and done" is the rule.

If there were a requirement that players stick around for 3 years Calipari would probably be winning national titles every year. The big problem for him, as you pointed out is that he's turning a large chunk of his roster every year...and nearly 100% of his best players every year. If he had these guys for 3 years they'd be monsters by their Jr. seasons. Of course, under that scenario the 5* guys would be a little more spread out but those guys would still only spread out among about 6-7 programs.

If I was a fan of UNC or Duke or Kentucky I'd hate the current rule. As a fan of a couple programs that really don't ever have to worry about "one and done" guys that rule really helps even things out. Teams like NU, CU, Iowa, San Diego State, Villanova, Virginia, Wisco, etc. can't recruit like UK and UNC but can build veteran TEAMS that can compete.

No disagreement. And it does help to balance the scales. I, personally, was concerned a couple years ago when the Calipari formula did work. Was hoping this wouldn't be a trend, where it became an automatic that the team with the most one-and-done types of players could go ahead and be penciled into the national title game most seasons. Thank goodness -- for the sake of college hoops -- that isn't necessarily the case.

Bubble teams are screaming for San Fran to beat BYU and then Gonzaga beat SF in the title game

If am not sure I agree with you on Calipari being successful with 3 year guys ... he has proven he can recruit. I am not sure he can develop and coach. I also think he would not be as successful of a recruiter if he had to keep players for 3 years.

One and done help smaller programs - Butler is able to play for two NCs because they combat excessively talented teams like Duke, NC ... with talented squads that feature teams with uber-experienced athletes. Wisconsin has finished in the top 4 of the B10 for a decade competiting against more talented squads at OSU, MSU, UofM ... because they rarely have players leave before their eligibility is finsihed.

WCC final tonight (Gonzaga vs BYU)

Bubbles teams should hope for a GU win, although BYU is likely in with a loss, it does leave more wiggle win for bubble teams than a Gonzaga loss

If am not sure I agree with you on Calipari being successful with 3 year guys ... he has proven he can recruit. I am not sure he can develop and coach. I also think he would not be as successful of a recruiter if he had to keep players for 3 years.

189-70 at UMASS. 5 straight years in the NCAAs...all with at least one win. 1 regional final and 1 final 4.
214-67 at Memphis. NCAAs 6 out of last 7 years. A couple regional finals and a final 4.
145-35 at UK. Regional finals, a final 4 and a national title.

He's not the most likable guy in the world but he can coach. Putting a new starting 5 on the court every year and taking them into the NCAAs at Kentucky is a sign of a guy who can coach. He did it at UMASS and Memphis without having a bunch of 1 and done guys.

What makes you think he wouldn't be a great recruiter if players had to stick for 3 years? Those guys have to go somewhere...and he has a proven track record of putting guys in the NBA...which is what those guys really want.

Talking about what seed we'll be in the NCAA or who we will play at this point is as productive as guessing what we'll be rated in the opening football polls. :)

Seth Greenberg predicted NU would win the Big 12 conf tourney. I'm guessing if they did that they'd get a 7.

Lose game 1 it will be an 11.

Somewhere between 7 and 11. ;)

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back