• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Bubba's comments Interesting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redarmy

Starter
5 Year Member
http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/recruiting/article_90d89c90-b59f-5722-aac5-59a178cbca17.html

I was a little surprised at some Bubba's comments. There is fine line between confidence and youthful zeal that borders foolish.

I was surprised he commented on Taylors play this season.

Starling watched Nebraska quarterback Taylor Martinez this season. Martinez is a great quarterback, Starling says, with numbers to prove it.

"But I just felt like I could get the job done as good as him, if not better," says Starling, of Gardner, Kan., 30 miles southwest of Kansas City, who in June verbally committed to the Huskers' 2011 recruiting class.

"As far as passing goes, a lot of Martinez's balls were getting tipped and he wasn't putting them on the spot," Starling says. "I just think with (Nebraska offensive coordinator) Shawn Watson coaching me and having a lot of time to work on football, I'll be able to get those down.

easy there Starling. There is a big difference between Podunk, Kansas and BCS conference football.

I do admit that I welcome him to try.

Couple other things from the article that stood out. The guru coaching him at this weekends All American Game in San Antonio commented on the similarity between future Bubba Magics and T-Magics passing game. Basically he said, Option QB will work out great for him seeing that he isnt a very consistent passer at this point.

Bubba's comments about it not being a lock for him to play baseball in pros before he plays college ball were also interesting. I know many on here think there is no way he will be in lincoln next season but I think the chances are greater than many think.

on big red wrapup they called jamal turner and he basically said the same thing bubba said, he thought he could do as good a job if not better and currently he can make all the throws being asked of taylor now. is it them being cocky, or are they just confident? i actually like their confidence.

Not sure what to make of talk like that. Maybe he's planning to sign and is just throwing the gauntlet down a little early.

Just comments from young guys who really have no idea how fierce the competition is in Div. 1 college football. They'll be humbled when they arrive in Lincoln. Its easy to be the starting QB mentally before you've actually practiced with a College team. Neither of these guys will start next year (Turner or Starling)...just won't happen.

I like their spirit though...we need more of that around here.

Last edited:

Turner made a few similar remarks recently. I actually kind of like that our QB recruits are stirring the pot a little bit. That said, I still think Bubba takes the cash. He can always pull a Weeden and come back to be a 25-year old freshman QB with a 7-figure bank account.

Not sure what to make of talk like that. Maybe he's planning to sign and is just throwing the gauntlet down a little early.

Maybe some of the baseball experts on the board can answer this, but is there any incentive for Bubba to keep talking up football to increase his signing bonus? In other words, will an MLB team sweeten the pot a bit for a guy to keep him from playing college sports, or is the signing bonus pretty fixed relative to draft position?

I would be upset if Nebraska was recruiting a kid, especially at a position like QB, who wasn't ultra competitive. Bo has said that jobs will be up for grabs every year and nobody who had a starting job the year before is guaranteed to keep it the next year. Given that philosophy he's going after kids who aren't afraid to compete and believe in their ability.

The comment that I like from Bubba is about being coached by Watson. Now like most people here I'd prefer he'd be coached by somebody else (Scott Frost) but that comment indicates that while Bubba believes in his ability he definitely doesn't think he's coming in as a freshman with all the answers and is willing to be coached up.

I think both Bubba and Jammal Turner's comments are a good thing for Nebraska. Taylor has made similar comments that I think some people misconstrued (especially the five TD comment) that indicate the same thing, he believes in his ability. If an athlete doesn't believe in their ability and that they're better than anybody else at their position they don't have much going for them. Bubba, and Turner, I'm sure will support Taylor if he wins the starting QB job next year they just want to be given a shot to prove they're better.

Maybe some of the baseball experts on the board can answer this, but is there any incentive for Bubba to keep talking up football to increase his signing bonus? In other words, will an MLB team sweeten the pot a bit for a guy to keep him from playing college sports, or is the signing bonus pretty fixed relative to draft position?

MLB has sort of an unofficial "slotting" system going but somebody every year always breaks it. Nine times out of ten it's a client of Scott Boras. That guy, usually the #1 pick, then sets the market for the #2 pick and so on down. For example, you rarely see the #7 pick sign before the #6 pick. I believe that the NCAA does allow HS players who are drafted by MLB to hire an agent and still go to college. If Bubba hires Boras, it's over. Not too many MLB teams are willing to lose their first round draft pick and only get another pick in the next draft as compensation. (A team does not retain a player's rights if he does not sign. The player goes back in to the draft.)

What Bubba's doing actually might hurt him in terms of the draft. Teams like the A's, Rays, Twins, Pirates and others take signability in to account when they draft a kid and usually pass on the kid if they don't think they can sign him. Bubba putting out all of this stuff about going to college to play football may be genuinely how he feels because I guarantee it's going to make GM's who may be interested in drafting him nervous.

Last edited:

Just comments from young guys who really have no idea how fierce the competition is in Div. 1 college football. They'll be humbled when they arrive in Lincoln. Its easy to be the starting QB mentally before you've actually practiced with a College team. Neither of these guys will start next year (Turner or Starling)...just won't happen.

I like their spirit though...we need more of that around here.

Good points BRO.

I love that both our QB's are coming in confident....you would not want it any other way with a QB as he is your leader on the team and that have to believe in their talents to get the job done. I would not want one to come in and already talk of redshirting and hope to play by 4th year in program. They will eventually see where they are after they get here and practice with the team.

Also anything Taylor did this year will/did not run off the QB competition as all of our QB's can run...just depends on who can PASS will get to play. I think Carnes will probably be the guy next year....but do not count out Turner as he is a playmaker and he needs to be on the field whether it is WR, Wildcat or True QB.

well even if he does not come to NU, maybe this will push Taylor to try and get better in all aspects of the game this offseason. If Taylor is up to the challenge from these two.

IMO Taylor will have his hands full with Carnes, and add in Bubba and Jamal...could we actually have another starting QB next year...very possible imo, unless martinez busts his butt.

these boys seem hungry, i love it. lets feed em and see what happens. taylor has the upper hand right now and he should with basically two years under his belt but he is going to need to keep progressing or he will get passed. these other kids are not coming to sit on the bench, they want to play and and none of us know how hard any of them are willing to work to get it. i dont even think taylor is that bad of a passer to be completely honest, i think his main problem that is affecting his play greatly is the inability to read the defenses now that they are game planning for him. remember he was hitting his passes for the most part early in the season till he got hurt. he just needs to learn more, a lot more and actually apply it in the games. the last few games he looked lost and if that is how he comes in next year i dont think he will be the starter for long because one of the newbies will step up. either that or bo will finally give me my full ride scholly to play qb and then we'll win 4 straight national championships. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
MLB has sort of an unofficial "slotting" system going but somebody every year always breaks it. Nine times out of ten it's a client of Scott Boras. That guy, usually the #1 pick, then sets the market for the #2 pick and so on down. For example, you rarely see the #7 pick sign before the #6 pick. I believe that the NCAA does allow HS players who are drafted by MLB to hire an agent and still go to college. If Bubba hires Boras, it's over. Not too many MLB teams are willing to lose their first round draft pick and only get another pick in the next draft as compensation. (A team does not retain a player's rights if he does not sign. The player goes back in to the draft.)

What Bubba's doing actually might hurt him in terms of the draft. Teams like the A's, Rays, Twins, Pirates and others take signability in to account when they draft a kid and usually pass on the kid if they don't think they can sign him. Bubba putting out all of this stuff about going to college to play football may be genuinely how he feels because I guarantee it's going to make GM's who may be interested in drafting him nervous.

I posted this in another thread on the subject: Bubba is doing exactly what Zach Lee did with LSU last year. The Huskers are his pawn. Zach Lee was a top pick talent but he told everyone he was going to LSU to live out his dream as a college fb QB and it would take a signing bonus of $5,000,000 to lure him away from that dream. As a result he fell to 28 in the draft. Also as a result, while in fall camp at LSU, the # 28 pick signed with the Dodgers with a signing bonus of $5,250,000.

roflmao.....arent all of the athletes we recruit CONFIDENT??? Or would we rather have a bunch of mamby pambies?? sheshhhhh

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back