• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bubba Starling

So the kid is in his mid 20's and a millionaire and may never play a full season at the major league level.

I hate that he didn't make his way to Lincoln, but I feel like it will all work out for him.

So the kid is in his mid 20's and a millionaire and may never play a full season at the major league level.

I hate that he didn't make his way to Lincoln, but I feel like it will all work out for him.
Pretty much already has. If not, I have been doing 'things not working out' all wrong.

Pretty much already has. If not, I have been doing 'things not working out' all wrong.

I mean financially. Athletically, he sinks or swims with MLB at this point. Don't think he could switch horses now and decide football is the better option at 26. I could be wrong, but he'll more than likely be selling insurance in a year or two...with millions in the bank.

I mean financially. Athletically, he sinks or swims with MLB at this point. Don't think he could switch horses now and decide football is the better option at 26. I could be wrong, but he'll more than likely be selling insurance in a year or two...with millions in the bank.
I know what you meant. I was agreeing with you in my own smart ass way.

Things haven't went his way and he only has millions of dollars to show for it.

I know what you meant. I was agreeing with you in my own smart ass way.

Things haven't went his way and he only has millions of dollars to show for it.

My coffee hadn't kicked in yet.

Yeah, I'd be unhappy my baseball career didn't turn out like I wanted it to, but I think the millions of dollars would act as a pretty good salve.

Several years ago Sports Illustrated interviewed a group of players who had made millions in signing bonuses, but had experienced much less than stellar pro careers. I don't remember any of them stating that they were in a severe state of depression. They all seemed to be doing fine with their hefty bank accounts.

Guys like that usually get absorbed into their club's system as a scout, traveling instructor, or some other function. Sometimes, they get released from their organization and will play in an independent league where there is a 4 year university. At that time, they use the MLB stipend to go to school while still playing some ball.

Without a doubt. But he was a 5-tool can't miss guy at one point.

I would have loved to have been disappointed with 5 years of A ball.

He's definitely a bust (although he is back in the Royals system now). First round draft picks that never make it to the bigs are always going to be considered busts. But he's a wealthy bust (assuming he has been wise with his earnings).

Bubba was the #5 overall pick. $7.5 million salary -- the highest-ever (at least at that point) for a high school player in the draft. That's a lot of money to spend on a career minor leaguer.

Last edited:

Conversely, he’s a soon-to-be-unemployed 26-year-old without any college credits to his name. That’s a lot of life left, even if the money doesn’t run out.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back