• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bright spot? Jurgens

Right on, its all OL
The OL had a B game last night. Our offensive scheme built on screens with no deep threat, no misdirection game because we lack a perimeter attack, and feeding the same guy 50% of the plays all create a poor atmosphere for an offense. That is not all on the OL.

I don't like Austin's X's & O's solutions and he doesn't typically rotate guys. But last night he actually put backups in when guys like Jaimes were playing poorly. I hope he continues to do this because it is an IMPROVEMENT.

Agree the line is young and will get better in time. I wasn't impressed with Boe Wilson he appeared to get beat and on his rump a lot last night
I didn't see this. When did it happen, because Wilson may not be a world beater but he also plays low pretty well. I'm not saying it did not happen. I'm just curious when.

Last edited:

Agree the line is young and will get better in time. I wasn't impressed with Boe Wilson he appeared to get beat and on his rump a lot last night
I admit I don't look too much at individuals but the line as a whole has been pushed around way too often.

The OL had a B game last night. Our offensive scheme built on screens with no deep threat, no misdirection game because we lack a perimeter attack, and feeding the same guy 50% of the plays all create a poor atmosphere for an offense. That is not all on the OL.

I don't like Austin's X's & O's solutions and he doesn't typically rotate guys. But last night he actually put backups in when guys like Jaimes were playing poorly. I hope he continues to do this because it is an IMPROVEMENT.

I didn't see this. When did it happen, because Wilson may not be a world beater but he also plays low pretty well. I'm not saying it did not happen. I'm just curious when.
A B game? No way. We tried running between the tackles a lot and we could get absolutely no push. Vedral was constantly under pressure. On that fake punt attempt, Farniok literally didnt even attempt to touch anyone. We got manhandled in the trenches, there's no other way to put it.

He is by far our best olinemen! And last year he was a tight end. I saw our libe standing on the sideline and they are fat!! Heavier not in a good way. Is Duval the guy we need in charge of our strength and development? Jurgens could be future all american lineman

A B game? No way. We tried running between the tackles a lot and we could get absolutely no push. Vedral was constantly under pressure. On that fake punt attempt, Farniok literally didnt even attempt to touch anyone. We got manhandled in the trenches, there's no other way to put it.
The safeties played up until Cade Warner caught the seam late in the game. No OL is effectively blocking 9 in the box. That is a scheme problem at the macro level and falls on Troy Walters. The OL had some gaps for sure, but largely they did what was asked of them. They cannot fix a broken offensive scheme with all the effort in the world.

He is by far our best olinemen! And last year he was a tight end. I saw our libe standing on the sideline and they are fat!! Heavier not in a good way. Is Duval the guy we need in charge of our strength and development? Jurgens could be future all american lineman

Osborne applied exercise physiology to training methods and got away from OL running more than 10 yards per sprint. He targeted an intense four second burst. I don't know what Duval does in the weight room, but it is better than it was a few years ago. I would like to see our OL get lean WITHOUT losing weight. The DL on the other hand, needs to just plain lose the belly weight. The DL has one up on the OL when it comes to belly fat.

The safeties played up until Cade Warner caught the seam late in the game. No OL is effectively blocking 9 in the box. That is a scheme problem at the macro level and falls on Troy Walters. The OL had some gaps for sure, but largely they did what was asked of them. They cannot fix a broken offensive scheme with all the effort in the world.

Farniok and Jaimes have very poor effort and lousy technique all year and they fail to block well even when Minny was rushing 3 or 4 guys. They look slow, are not aggressive and do not engage. That was a D game by the line last night . . . pushing an "F", but I'll give Jurgens a slight save for the snaps getting ironed out.

Last edited:

Something they've been trying to teach him finally clicked.

I keep going back to this and it gets 'Poo-Poo'd', but the kid has just played his seventh game at the position. He stepped up big time.
I'm think my questions there are more about his coaches than about Jurgens. His effort and aptitude seem unlikely to be the biggest issue there.

Last edited:
I don't think even the biggest flamer on the board is advocating for that, but if everyone isn't grossly disappointed by last nights showing, we're not looking at football the same way.

I'm all in on Frost, but that was garbage.

Take a look at some of the threads and tell me people aren't advocating that.
Yes, last night sucked. But it is absolutely moronic to talk about making any staff changes.

Farniok and Jaimes have very poor effort and lousy technique all year and they fail to block well even when Minny was rushing 3 or 4 guys. They look slow, are not aggressive and do not engage. That was a D game by the line last night . . . pushing an "F", but I'll give Jurgens a slight save for the snaps getting ironed out.

On the subject of those two, am I the only one who thinks we're doing something wrong at the training table? For all the talk of our improve S&C program and increased focus on position specific nutrition, they just look soft to me. I don't expect O lineman to look like Steinkuhler these days, but the weight doesn't look like it's helping their run blocking or mobility on pass pro.

Take a look at some of the threads and tell me people aren't advocating that.
Yes, last night sucked. But it is absolutely moronic to talk about making any staff changes.

Coordinators and position coaches should absolutely be evaluated at seasons end at least. I appreciate Frost's loyalty, but I don't want him keeping guys around who've underperformed or haven't improved their position groups/units because he's loyal. Gassing anyone in season needs to happen tomorrow or not at all. The two weeks can help bridge the gap and help a new comer. No, I'm not advocating firing anyone tomorrow, but unless this team rights the ship and pronto, it has to be looked at in December.

Coordinators and position coaches should absolutely be evaluated at seasons end at least. I appreciate Frost's loyalty, but I don't want him keeping guys around who've underperformed or haven't improved their position groups/units because he's loyal. Gassing anyone in season needs to happen tomorrow or not at all. The two weeks can help bridge the gap and help a new comer. No, I'm not advocating firing anyone tomorrow, but unless this team rights the ship and pronto, it has to be looked at in December.

Then we are destined to continue down this road for the next 20 years.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back