• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Brett Bielema at Illinois

BB's presence at Illinois concerns me ... nevertheless his propensity for developing offensive linemen is outstanding and if he begins to infiltrate Wisconsin ... that will present troubles for the Badgers ... double edge sword I guess.

Living in IL for 45+ years, what I have seen and heard:

Attitude towards Bielema is: Show me! As with other schools they want 3* AND 4* players, Ws and bowl games. Most of my Illini buddies seem to prefer wide open spread as opposed to smash-mouth football, but winning cures everything as we know, so Brett will have to match talent-on-hand with opponents and hope the Illini defense can keep the scores from getting out of hand.

Recruiting is about the same story every year. ND takes a lot of great Catholic high school talent and still has an historic pull. NW offers a high-value degree, top coaching & great facilities for HS scholars. Michigan still has pull, but less these days and other B1G and even MAC schools all pluck some of the remaining top talent Brett has to stop the bleeding.

Illinois FB recruiting is tough, Lovie Smith had trouble keeping talent from leaving Illinois even with his NFL connections, Bielema has a very tough road ahead.

After Illinois loses its first game to DONU, I hope they do well the rest of the way.

Having Ohio and Nebraska roots, I find the football enthusiasm here in Illinois to be sadly lacking, They need Brett Bielema to make them competitive

…my first post. GBR

I always thought BB was full of himself when he was at UW ... kind of proved that to me when he left for Arkansas. His 3 years in the NFL including 2 under Belichick scare me. If he builds a Wisconsin-esque run-first program at Illinois he could be a handful in 3 to 5 years!
I think he is a pretty solid coach. His teams are usually tough and I think, if they give him 3-4 years, he’ll build a winner at Illinois. He definitely has a recruiting base, and go outward from there. 13 million people in Illinois. Has to be some supreme talent there. Aside from the Illinois AD, I’ve always felt like they were somewhat of a sleeping giant, like, if the U ever really committed to it, they could blossom somewhat. There are some dudes in that state, but Illinois does nothing to fire up the masses.

Attitude towards Bielema is: Show me! As with other schools they want 3* AND 4* players, Ws and bowl games. Most of my Illini buddies seem to prefer wide open spread as opposed to smash-mouth football, but winning cures everything as we know, so Brett will have to match talent-on-hand with opponents and hope the Illini defense can keep the scores from getting out of hand.

Recruiting is about the same story every year. ND takes a lot of great Catholic high school talent and still has an historic pull. NW offers a high-value degree, top coaching & great facilities for HS scholars. Michigan still has pull, but less these days and other B1G and even MAC schools all pluck some of the remaining top talent Brett has to stop the bleeding.

Illinois FB recruiting is tough, Lovie Smith had trouble keeping talent from leaving Illinois even with his NFL connections, Bielema has a very tough road ahead.

After Illinois loses its first game to DONU, I hope they do well the rest of the way.

Having Ohio and Nebraska roots, I find the football enthusiasm here in Illinois to be sadly lacking, They need Brett Bielema to make them competitive

…my first post. GBR

Welcome to the board! That was a quality first post.

Going by your user name, you would probably enjoy spending some time in the Outdoors forum here. I've never caught a muskie, so if you can help make that happen, I'd appreciate it.

Last edited:

…my first post. GBR
BOOM.....Nawthwestahn!!
BOOM.....Nahtahfakahndame
BOOM....AHNAHBAAAAHHH

This is a conference of great tradition. One I grea up watching in Dayton, OH. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ @muskiehusker IS SPOT ON!!

I think he is a pretty solid coach. His teams are usually tough and I think, if they give him 3-4 years, he’ll build a winner at Illinois. He definitely has a recruiting base, and go outward from there. 13 million people in Illinois. Has to be some supreme talent there. Aside from the Illinois AD, I’ve always felt like they were somewhat of a sleeping giant, like, if the U ever really committed to it, they could blossom somewhat. There are some dudes in that state, but Illinois does nothing to fire up the masses.
You and I are firmly in agreement ... I think that is a total rebuild situation maybe even worse than Nebraska because they simply have no history of success whatsoever. If you look at a list of the top 10 players all-time from Illinois the only player from our lifetime is Simeon Rice. They have Red Grange, Dick Butkus, Ray Nitschke and George Halas.

In the 2000's they've had exactly 3 seasons with a winning record two 7-6 seasons by Ron Zook and a 10-2 season in 2000 by Ron Turner. Lovie Smith did not have one winning season in his 5 years there ... which is a bit of a surprise to me.

The recruiting position is solid, much better than NU ... the challenge though is you have ND, tOSU and Indiana to your East, Wisconsin and Northwestern to your North, Iowa and Missouri to your West and the entire SEC to your South.

I can and do think Illinois can be successful and I'm hopeful its improvement signals a weakening of Iowa, NW and Wisconsin!

IMO Illinois is what Nebraska could become. Illinois used to have a culture and then they lost that and they lost all connection to it. Their winning culture is a ghost hanging framed in the hallways.

I fear that if Scott doesn't get the job done re-installing the culture in decades to come we will be talking about what our new "Bielema" might be able to do.

IMO Illinois is what Nebraska could become. Illinois used to have a culture and then they lost that and they lost all connection to it. Their winning culture is a ghost hanging framed in the hallways.

I fear that if Scott doesn't get the job done re-installing the culture in decades to come we will be talking about what our new "Bielema" might be able to do.
We all fear that!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back