• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Breon Dixon

I believe it was a bowl game too.

C

Ruled "academically ineligible" by UNL. https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/b...me-nathan-gerry-ruled-academically-ineligible

Gerry wrote on Twitter. “I did not fulfill my academic responsibilities this semester, and I want to apologize to my teammates and to Husker Nation.

“I am very grateful for the experiences I have had at Nebraska and am extremely disappointed that my Husker football career has ended in this manner.

Last edited:

The previous staff held Nate accountable and suspended him a game or two for the class issues.

C

It was an unfortunate situation, nobody looked good. Yes, the coaches did close the barn door, but the horse had already departed.

Just found this, but have no idea whether these guidelines would have applied in any way (as I read them, it seems to determine actions based on the prior semester's academic results, so probably not): http://www.ncaa.org/about/division-i-progress-toward-degree-requirements

Last edited:
Correct. That being said, some people thought they needed to hold him out of the entire season because he wasn’t going to class when they announced he wasn’t eligible for the bowl game.

It was an unfortunate situation, nobody looked good. Yes, the coaches did close the barn door, but the horse had already departed.

Just found this, but have no idea whether these guidelines would have applied in any way (as I read them, it seems to determine actions based on the prior semester's academic results, so probably not): http://www.ncaa.org/about/division-i-progress-toward-degree-requirements

Nate was also suspended for the first game not related to ineligibility. Point is the previous staff did discipline for not going to class, etc... and were not just letting players run amuck.

C

Nate was also suspended for the first game not related to ineligibility. Point is the previous staff did discipline for not going to class, etc... and were not just letting players run amuck.

C

OK. I guess it’s easy enough to say in hindsight that the discipline was ineffective if it started that early and the situation ended the way it did.

Nate seems to be getting along fine -hope he stays healthy, invests his money, and sets himself up for life.

C
Does anyone remember why he was suspended for the first game? When you add in all of the games where he was ejected for targeting (almost all of which were ridiculous), Nate Gerry missed a lot of football playing time at Nebraska.

Does anyone remember why he was suspended for the first game? When you add in all of the games where he was ejected for targeting (almost all of which were ridiculous), Nate Gerry missed a lot of football playing time at Nebraska.
And yet still made it to #2 all-time for tackles by a DB at Nebraska and #7 all-time for total tackles. Imagine the numbers he'd put up if he got to play an entire season!

And yet still made it to #2 all-time for tackles by a DB at Nebraska and #7 all-time for total tackles. Imagine the numbers he'd put up if he got to play an entire season!

He could tackle. Nate’s a good athlete with good football instincts. Unfortunately the way our defense played back then, he had plenty of opportunities for tackles.

He could tackle. Nate’s a good athlete with good football instincts. Unfortunately the way our defense played back then, he had plenty of opportunities for tackles.
I think that this staff would have liked to have used him like they're using Domann. He liked to hit, and he could cover. These are qualities that I tend to like in a Nebraska DB.

liked the name. oh well, world has plenty of stupid
Not calling you out specifically here. I’ve seen countless posts on these forums calling some our current/former players stupid. Maybe he is, but unless you personally know him these type of posts disturb me. I’m guessing a decent percentage of our fellow posters never played college ball, let alone at a P5 school.

Did he squander his chance at DONU? Looks like it. But we’re talking about a kid here. You have hours of weightlifting, hours of practice, hours of film watching and training table all in the same day plus all of your educational obligations. Maybe not all “hours” in duration, but by the time you prep and get to & from it’s a considerable amount of time.

I tried to do it and get my degree in engineering. I couldn’t do both. I’m not the smartest guy, but by cutting out football I was able to get my degree and eventually my professional license.

I hope he finds what works best for his future. Maybe he isn’t the sharpest knife in the drawer, our is just lazy, but unless we are personally involved in the players life I don’t believe we should be so quick to judge.

Again, inthedeed, not really directed at you. I’ve made plenty of knee jerk statements in my time. Like I said, I’m not the smartest guy around ;)

Not calling you out specifically here. I’ve seen countless posts on these forums calling some our current/former players stupid. Maybe he is, but unless you personally know him these type of posts disturb me. I’m guessing a decent percentage of our fellow posters never played college ball, let alone at a P5 school.

Did he squander his chance at DONU? Looks like it. But we’re talking about a kid here. You have hours of weightlifting, hours of practice, hours of film watching and training table all in the same day plus all of your educational obligations. Maybe not all “hours” in duration, but by the time you prep and get to & from it’s a considerable amount of time.

I tried to do it and get my degree in engineering. I couldn’t do both. I’m not the smartest guy, but by cutting out football I was able to get my degree and eventually my professional license.

I hope he finds what works best for his future. Maybe he isn’t the sharpest knife in the drawer, our is just lazy, but unless we are personally involved in the players life I don’t believe we should be so quick to judge.

Again, inthedeed, not really directed at you. I’ve made plenty of knee jerk statements in my time. Like I said, I’m not the smartest guy around ;)

Clearly the kid has real talent as a football player. Whatever the things are that have gotten in the way of him maximizing his talents......I hope he gets them under control. And yeah, Lurker 44 there are an incredible number of commitments that a young man needs to meet in order to be successful both on the field and in the classroom in order to play football at a Big Ten university. Sometimes a kid just can’t do it.....not because he isn’t smart but because he’s not cut out for it. I wish him the best of luck wherever he ends up.

I’m not a huge NG fan after how things went down in the end, but I definitely do not think he is either stupid or lazy. I think his head was in the NFL that last season and he had already moved on mentally from Nebraska

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back