• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked BREAKING: The ACC Just Died!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure this means a lot.

Have to see how the 4-team playoff is determined first. Will multiple conference teams be allowed? Will conference champions only be allowed? Lot to determine here.

How likely is it that neither the champ from the B10, Pac10, B12 or SEC is NOT going to be in a 4-team playoff? Last season the only one who wouldn't have been in the playoff is the B10 champ. Last season the SEC theoretically would not had either of their top two teams available for this bowl game?

Then what happens? Does Arkansas get pitted against KState? Blah!

The ACC might be positioned to be the conference who gets selected as the replacement for one or more of the missing participants.

Looks like the new leadership in the Big XII is taking the bull by the horns and being proactive rather than reactive.

Wish that was the case when we were there.

I thought the same thing but then realized I like the B1G and look forward to being in that conference for a long time.

I hope that FSU joins the Big XII. If I wasnt such a die hard Husker fan I would be a 'Nole. Always liked the team and the fans aint so bad based on my personal experience.

Last edited:

I am not sure this means a lot.

Have to see how the 4-team playoff is determined first. Will multiple conference teams be allowed? Will conference champions only be allowed? Lot to determine here.

How likely is it that neither the champ from the B10, Pac10, B12 or SEC is NOT going to be in a 4-team playoff? Last season the only one who wouldn't have been in the playoff is the B10 champ. Last season the SEC theoretically would not had either of their top two teams available for this bowl game?

Then what happens? Does Arkansas get pitted against KState? Blah!

The ACC might be positioned to be the conference who gets selected as the replacement for one or more of the missing participants.

Right now it doesn't mean a lot. But if FSU and Clemson jump to the Big 12, thereby greatly weakening the ACC, it could precipitate a mass exodus from the ACC and Big East and mid-majors, desparately trying to secure a spot in the four 16-team conferences that may eventually be the "new" D-1 teams exclusively (SEC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac 12). Then the Rose and the Sugar would be the national semi-finals, each with one of the four D-1 conference champions. Non-conference intersectional games would be meaningless, because winning your conference would be everything. That may precipitate an eight-team playoff, so that the four conference champs would be in automatically, and the next four highest ranked teams (determined by whatever process) get in, too. That keeps more games during the entire season as important, not just the conference games.

Last edited:
I hope that FSU joins the Big XII. If I wasnt such a die hard Husker fan I would be a 'Nole. Always liked the team and the fans aint so bad based on my personal experience.

Agree. Plus Tom Osborne and Bobby Bowden have become close over the years, which helps. BB has even admitted to being a "closet" Husker fan a couple of times.

Of the 3 Big Florida schools, FSU is by far my favorite.

After thinking about this, I don't really see how this one bowl agreement does anything to the ACC. If FSU and Clemson (or any other school from the ACC) were to leave, it'll be for a number of things, and this bowl game probably shouldn't crack the top 5 reasons. It's a bowl game. Sure, it'll have more appeal than the Little Caesar's Pizza Bowl, but it's still just a bowl game.

What would be more accurate is this deal is a big nail into the BCS coffin. So far what I've read there has been no mention of how this deal will work with the current BCS. It refers to how it'll work with a future 4-team playoff.

The ACC will still likely be a key piece in figuring out how to develop a playoff system. This bowl game just gives the two conferences a nice spot to land, should their conference champion not finish in the top 4. Right now, I would think a team in the ACC has perhaps the easiest path to being one of those top 4 teams. Why mess with that?

Right now it doesn't mean a lot. But if FSU and Clemson jump to the Big 12, thereby greatly weakening the ACC, it could precipitate a mass exodus from the ACC and Big East and mid-majors, desparately trying to secure a spot in the four 16-team conferences that may eventually be the "new" D-1 teams exclusively (SEC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac 12). Then the Rose and the Sugar would be the national semi-finals, each with one of the four D-1 conference champions. Non-conference intersectional games would be meaningless, because winning your conference would be everything. That may precipitate an eight-team playoff, so that the four conference champs would be in automatically, and the next four highest ranked teams (determined by whatever process) get in, too. That keeps more games during the entire season as important, not just the conference games.
So following that scenario ... Four 16 team conferences means there are 16 openings (assuming no one is kicked out) - 4 from Pac10, 6 B12, 2 SEC and 4 B10.

Those 16 would likely be Notre Dame, BYU, Florida State, Miami, Clemson, North Carolina, NC State, Duke (?), Virginia, Virginia Tech, Maryland, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Georgia Tech, Boston College and Rutgers.

Other candidates might be Cincinnati, Wake Forest, South Florida, Louisville, Houston and Boise State.

Who would go to Pac10? BYU, Boise State if they could make the cut, maybe two from the B12 (TTU, Kansas, KState).

One thing it does indicate is a committment to the bowl system as an ongoing and integral part of the post-season. IMO, a dream scenario is 4 traditional bowl games all on New Year's Day:

Rose: Big Ten v. Pac 12
Sugar: SEC v. Big 12
Orange: ACC v. Big East
Fiesta: At Large v. At Large

The winners advance to the college football Final Four. It's the best of both worlds.

One thing it does indicate is a committment to the bowl system as an ongoing and integral part of the post-season. IMO, a dream scenario is 4 traditional bowl games all on New Year's Day:

The winners advance to the college football Final Four. It's the best of both worlds.

I don't really want to divert this thread into another playoff discussion, but this is a pet-peeve of mine. Why take a month off to play these bowl games? How much time would be allowed between these bowl games and the semifinals? The championship game? No serious championship tournament would wait a month for "play-in" games, then hold the semifinals a week later. Sorry, I know it's a dream scenario, I just don't see the logistics in it.

Last edited:
So following that scenario ... Four 16 team conferences means there are 16 openings (assuming no one is kicked out) - 4 from Pac10, 6 B12, 2 SEC and 4 B10.

Those 16 would likely be Notre Dame, BYU, Florida State, Miami, Clemson, North Carolina, NC State, Duke (?), Virginia, Virginia Tech, Maryland, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Georgia Tech, Boston College and Rutgers.

Other candidates might be Cincinnati, Wake Forest, South Florida, Louisville, Houston and Boise State.

Who would go to Pac10? BYU, Boise State if they could make the cut, maybe two from the B12 (TTU, Kansas, KState).

Good questions. It would be pretty messy.

Tough sell telling the SEC and Big 12 that only one of the two conference champions from those two powerhouse football conferences will get to the playoffs each season. Same for Pac 12 and Big Ten champs. (But the conference runner-up might if it plays in and wins the at large v. at large game) :eek:

Good questions. It would be pretty messy.

In order do split up D1 football into 4 conferences of 16, you'd likely have to "blow up" the exsisting conferences, and start over from scratch. The Pac-12 would likely stay close to the same, but there's too much cross-over between the SEC, ACC, and now the Big 12, to try and piece things together.

Plus, imagine going to Lincoln or College Station, and saying, sorry guys, you're back in with Texas. No thanks.

In order do split up D1 football into 4 conferences of 16, you'd likely have to "blow up" the exsisting conferences, and start over from scratch. The Pac-12 would likely stay close to the same, but there's too much cross-over between the SEC, ACC, and now the Big 12, to try and piece things together.

Plus, imagine going to Lincoln or College Station, and saying, sorry guys, you're back in with Texas. No thanks.

Might have to go with five conferences of 16 (add ACC to the four discussed above). That would allow enough regional flexibility for BSU, BYU, maybe San Diego State and TTech to join the Pac and all existing members of the five conferences to stay put, while adding teams from the eastern half of the country as necessary to get to 16 teams. Eight-team playoff with the five champs and three at-larges. Bye-Bye Big East -- for football at least.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back