• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

***BREAKING NEWS***HC Erstad stepping down...

It can get dicey when you hire one of your own legends. Probably more bad feelings when DE sees the new coaches salary, should we go big on this hire. Goes without saying that this is a great opportunity to just cut the chord on the program and get a hockey team. Maybe Erstad's kids could skate for the Cornhuskers some day.

For Erstad, his reasons for stepping down was clear.

“I have made the extremely difficult decision to step away from coaching,” Erstad said. “I love this team. I love our staff and I love Nebraska. The bottom line is I do not want to miss seeing our kids grow up. I want to thank our administration and academic staff for all of their support over the last eight years. GBR forever.”

Nebraska athletic director Bill Moos had this to say about Erstad’s sudden resignation, making it perfectly clear that Erstad wasn’t forced out. He was going to be with the team in 2020. It was Erstad’s decision to resign for family reasons.
“Darin earned the right to lead this baseball program well into the future, and I was hopeful that would be the case,” Moos said. “Darin loved the opportunity to represent Nebraska every day and did an outstanding job. He’s a Nebraska guy who loves this program and is a proven winner. With all that said, I respect and admire that Darin’s priority now is to spend more time with his family as his children grow up.

For Erstad, his reasons for stepping down was clear.

“I have made the extremely difficult decision to step away from coaching,” Erstad said. “I love this team. I love our staff and I love Nebraska. The bottom line is I do not want to miss seeing our kids grow up. I want to thank our administration and academic staff for all of their support over the last eight years. GBR forever.”

Nebraska athletic director Bill Moos had this to say about Erstad’s sudden resignation, making it perfectly clear that Erstad wasn’t forced out. He was going to be with the team in 2020. It was Erstad’s decision to resign for family reasons.
“Darin earned the right to lead this baseball program well into the future, and I was hopeful that would be the case,” Moos said. “Darin loved the opportunity to represent Nebraska every day and did an outstanding job. He’s a Nebraska guy who loves this program and is a proven winner. With all that said, I respect and admire that Darin’s priority now is to spend more time with his family as his children grow up.

Thanks, WWM. This does make sense. Seems like a rational unilateral decision.

Interesting talk this morning on KFAB about the move. Many kudos to Erstad about the critical contributions he made as a punter, citing especially the KSU game with Matt Turman at the helm when it all hung in the balance and KSU thought they had us (I think they said 4 punts inside the 10 that day), and then his top notch career as a big time hitter in the Majors. I'll miss him, but its good to know he'll be in the stands rooting for his kids.

lol, this is at the bottom of a journal star article. The video frame frozen here is probably not what they meant to convey by the caption.
5cf5c0004ae05.preview.jpg

Watch: Nebraska pitcher Chad Luensmann offers his reaction to Darin Erstad stepping down as the NU baseball coach.
Oops. :Biggrin:

It can get dicey when you hire one of your own legends. Probably more bad feelings when DE sees the new coaches salary, should we go big on this hire. Goes without saying that this is a great opportunity to just cut the chord on the program and get a hockey team. Maybe Erstad's kids could skate for the Cornhuskers some day.
Curious to see what the dollars will look like. If we get who Moos wants, the salary for the HC alone will be north of 500k.

Erstad made almost $50 million in the majors. I don't think seeing someone else get paid $500k to coach NU is going to hurt his feelings. He actually donated a huge chunk of his pay back to NU.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back