• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked BREAKING NEWS: Big Ten and Pac-12 Enter Scheduling Agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of smug self satisfaction, does this deal make Notre Dame joining the BIG mostly irrelevant? I mean, it'd still be nice, but the variety and TV money this deal brings in takes a lot of shine off the dome.

At first, I thought part of the reason for the move was to force ND to reconsider joining the Big Ten. Had the league stuck to plans for a 9-game slate in 2015, I think that would have jeopardized some long-standing rivalries. If Mich, MSU, and Purdue wanted to keep playing ND, that woud leave them with only 1 open date per year. Not sure you can guarantee the "magic" 7 home games under those circumstances. And if you draw the top half of the Pac 12, the non-con goes quickly from directional Michigan schools to ranked BCS teams.

It appears that Delaney has replaced the 9th conference game with the Pac 12 game. This allows the Big Ten schools to keep ND on the schedule and leave 2 open dates for home games vs. more "manageable" opponents. It also allows ND to stick with what appears to be a plan to play the play the bulk of their schedule vs. the ACC and Big Ten + Navy and USC.

They could've kept their rivalry by sticking them both in the same division. One would have to be pretty naive to think that getting a Michigan/Ohio St Championship game wasn't at the root of how the divisions were set up and just in case they didn't make the CCG, they have to dedicated rivals as a fallback game to ensure the rivalry remains in tact

There's no doubt that item #1 on the agenda when putting together the divisions was "what do we do with Michigan v. Ohio St.?" I personally think it would have been preferrable to put them in the same division, but I understand from a business perspective how a Michigan v. tOSU CCG was irresistable.

I just hope we get to see a USC-Ohio State matchup.

The loser could eat the other's scholarship reductions.

It's all about the money, as usual.

The Pac 12 is mining the huge stadiums in the Big 10. The Big 10 is mining the huge research dollars in the Pac 12.

I think the B1G wants access to the Pac 12 recruiting locations as well. I think the B1G's research resources are pretty formidable themselves.

Is this a precursor to the demise of the Pac/B1G Rose Bowl affiliation? Is this a way to maintain the partnership if a modified playoff comes into play?

But, you drastically increase the probability of a bowl game rematch, which I have to believe is very bad for business.

I agree, and that's my fear. The B1G championship game could be a rematch of a regular season conference game, and then the Rose Bowl could be a rematch of a regular season non-conference game.

Some have discussed the probability of having a rematch, in this thread and in other locations, and although it is true that there are 144 possible combinations of teams from the two conferences, the odds of a rematch are not one in 144. It's one in 144 that it will be Nebraska vs. USC, Indiana vs. Washington State, or any specific pair of teams. But, the odds of a rematch aren't specific to a rendom selection of pairings. Instead, because there will be twelve cross-conference games each year, the odds of a rematch are 12 in 144, or one in 12. Looking at it a different way, we know that one B1G team will be in the Rose Bowl. If there were a random selection of opponents (including all twelve Pac 12 teams), that B1G team has a one in 12 chance of playing the Pac 12 champ in the regular season, resulting in a rematch in the Rose Bowl.

If they use a "pod" system instead of having every team play all teams from the other conference, however, the odds of a rematch are better (at least they are better if they get the pods "right"). If the pods are based on competitive balance, which I've heard they would be, the top B1G pod would probably be Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and Nebraska (using the competitive balance rationale used to create B1G divisions), and the top Pac 12 pod would be something like Oregon, USC, UCLA, and Stanford (using my own perception of the teams currently at the top of the Pac 12). In the last 20 years, the teams in those pods have won, or tied, for the conference championship 16 times in the B1G and 19 times in the Pac 12. Therefore, with those pods, there would be a one in four chance of a Rose Bowl rematch about 80% of the time.

From what little I have read about this arrangement I am generally in favor of it. It accomplishes a great deal in terms of exposure and big games.
There has been some discussion of possibly scheduling a series with Oklahoma which wouldn't happen until sometime around 2020. Does this Pac 12 deal possibly put a monkey wrench in the Oklahoma plan? It's not a particularly big deal with me. By 2020, the Oklahoma-Nebraska rivalry will have been dead for 25 years.

But, you drastically increase the probability of a bowl game rematch, which I have to believe is very bad for business.

I'm thinking the ego of the Rose Bowl committee is at play here. I can't imagine for a second the B1G and Pac-12 offices negotiated this deal without talking with the Rose Bowl. I don't know if the Rose Bowl committee can take an official stance on how these conferences operate during the regular season, but I find it hard to believe the Rose Bowl didn't give it their approval. They really do believe their game is the best, and even a rematch would still draw over 100,000 people, and a big TV audience.

I'm thinking the ego of the Rose Bowl committee is at play here. I can't imagine for a second the B1G and Pac-12 offices negotiated this deal without talking with the Rose Bowl. I don't know if the Rose Bowl committee can take an official stance on how these conferences operate during the regular season, but I find it hard to believe the Rose Bowl didn't give it their approval. They really do believe their game is the best, and even a rematch would still draw over 100,000 people, and a big TV audience.

I don't know if the Rose Bowl Committee would want a rematch, but they do tend to have the same mentality as the Conferences they host...a sense of elitism. Not necessarily a bad thing, now that we are included in that group. The PAC and B1G tend to think of themselves as unique in their ability to excel in all facets of both academics and athletics. While there are Ivy schools with better academics, the SEC with better football, and the ACC with better basketball, etc., the PAC and B1G have quality academics, strong research, quality football and strong representation across sports. I also think they realize that between the two conferences they have a lock on a huge chunk of the Country. West, southwest, rockies, midwest and pushing into the northeast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back