• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Braylon Heard update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tutor and practice testing both definitely help but only so much. Eventually kids max out on how much further they can push it. Wish him luck with the next test but hope he has thought through a back up plan. Things will work out for him eventually; nothing wrong with the JUCO route if he has to take it. We've got a few superstars on our team that were JUCO kids. If he does go that route, hope we see him back in a couple of years. He will be a big asset in our national championship runs.

My oldest some did the same thing a 19 on the ACT in 7th grade. He said it was strange taking the exam with a bunch of high school Jrs and SRs. He uped it to a 30 a few years later.

I scored a 21 in 7th grade, which was higher than some of my in-laws' scores when they were in high school :Biggrin:

My sister and I did the same thing for the Duke program in 7th grade. She scored a 27 and I a 24. This was on the old 36 point scale. Hope the young man has a tutor who is getting him focused on what he needs.

Funny...I did the same thing for Duke in 7th grade but it was for the SAT. Took it at Central High School. Very wierd feeling walking into that room with High School kids. Plenty of "are you a genius?" looks.

Sounds to me as though he might be LD. If so, standard test-taking is really hard. I was in the 99.9% of those taking the SAT, but my kids are all LD and needed lots of help to get acceptable scores to get in good schools, let alone play varsity athletics.

Most schools are just beginning to understand LD and LD kids, most of whom are very smart but learn differently, and therefore are not as receptive to the standard methods that are used to teach kids.

Sounds to me as though he might be LD. If so, standard test-taking is really hard. I was in the 99.9% of those taking the SAT, but my kids are all LD and needed lots of help to get acceptable scores to get in good schools, let alone play varsity athletics.

Most schools are just beginning to understand LD and LD kids, most of whom are very smart but learn differently, and therefore are not as receptive to the standard methods that are used to teach kids.

If he is and has testing to back it up, a big if, there are accomodations that can be given to him, even for these type tests. You make an excellent point, though. Could be undiagnosed like lots of people. Regardless, where there is a will there is a way, through the JUCO route to start. JUCO is a very effective way for many kids to start their college careers. It's a shame if he doesn't make it directly into Nebraska, however; the programs we have set up to help student athletes are phenominal. TO has had a tremendous influence on this over many years. His expertise is Educational Psychology, and they are the professionals that diagnose and recommend treatment for LD students.

I know it's probably none of our business, but how close is he? A few points can be made up, but if he is well short, the likelihood of dramatic improvement is not good

I'm new to this issue. How long can this process carry on and what help can NU give? Someone mentioned he has one more try, how many has he had?
If a guy does finally makes the grade, just barely, what are his chances of maintaining grades good enough to stay enrolled?
He's hung in there this long, i'm pulling for him.

If a guy does finally makes the grade, just barely, what are his chances of maintaining grades good enough to stay enrolled?
He's hung in there this long, i'm pulling for him.

I think his chances are excellent to hang in there once enrolled. NU has an outstanding reputation of supporting these guys. That was a forte of Dr. Tom - and probably is again.

I scored a 21 in 7th grade, which was higher than some of my in-laws' scores when they were in high school :Biggrin:

My son beat me (29) and my wife (28) with his 30. Hope I can duplicate that success with my younger two boys. My daughter was not a test taker had a 18 in high school, but is doing wekk in JUCO.

Tutor and practice testing both definitely help but only so much. Eventually kids max out on how much further they can push it. Wish him luck with the next test but hope he has thought through a back up plan. Things will work out for him eventually; nothing wrong with the JUCO route if he has to take it. We've got a few superstars on our team that were JUCO kids. If he does go that route, hope we see him back in a couple of years. He will be a big asset in our national championship runs.

I have been wondering if he has naxed out as well. I hope he can find the extra points he needs, but I too hope he is getting his backuo okan in okace now, If he enrolls in a JUCO now and finds out he got the score to get into Nu then he just unenrollis in the JUCO. If he does not get the score he need then he starts classes at the JUCO in January and if he really applies himself could get his AA coursework finished in a year and a half. RS his next fall in JUCO and be a 4 for 4 recruit for '12 or a DEC grad and a 3 for 3 recruit in'13.

I wish him the best because it would be great for both him and the scgool if he could get to NU, but II hope he has that backup plan in place just in case.

Good luck Braylon

Sports Nightly just reported a report from John Talmun (sp?) saying Braylon will find out his future on 27 Dec. Must be when he gets his test results?

I absolutely love this kids determination to get to Lincoln! He says that he feels really good about his test this time! Maybe Dec. 27 will be a late Christmas present for us!!!! And him! The kid has earned it!

gotta love this kid's determination. most kids would have just given up and gone the juco route (not that juco means you've given up, but you know what i mean). if he has the same type of determination on the field than he'll be a special player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back