• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Brayden Miller

I believe Bubak was committed to us but during the coaching change, he decommitted and went to Arizona State (more factors involved than just the coaching change). Correct me if i'm wrong there. Certainly Riley and his staff went hard after him, as they didn't want to start off on the wrong foot losing a current commit to another P5 school.

To your walk-on comment and how you never really know what you are getting, absolutely. Take that a step further with guys like Brandon Reilly, Heung-Choi, Justin Jackson, and you can really make things not as pivotal on the recruiting trail. Especially since we are recruiting taller guys now, usually if you are that big in high school, you grew so fast you aren't comfortable with your body yet. I also know for a fact that we turned away an all-state lineman that wanted to walk-on while taking his academic scholarship and they said no because he wasn't the right height. Which I found odd, but they definitely know what they want.
I am glad they are honest and steer a kid another way. They have proven they will give the right NE kids a shot. To me turning away a kid that is not right is just as important as all the kids they are taking.

I also know for a fact that we turned away an all-state lineman that wanted to walk-on while taking his academic scholarship and they said no because he wasn't the right height. Which I found odd, but they definitely know what they want.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't an academic scholarship count as an athletic scholarship as soon as he steps on the field?

If he plays, yes. He could keep his academic scholarship and not count towards football for a couple years at least.

That wouldn't be a bad problem to have, although in practicality it would never happen. If you think about it, how nice would it be to only give scholarships to kids that actually play and contribute, especially since 50% or so of scholarship players don't pan out.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back