• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Brayden Miller

The enthusiasm for Nebraska by the High School players in Nebr. is off the charts. The smaller schools in Nebraska and the surrounding states are going to have to find players in other states pretty soon. I assume they're going to have to expand the locker room?

Another athletic walkon! When I see all the walkons, I would ask all of you, would you take say either the last 5-6 announced walkons or the Burbach kid from Lincoln Lutheran? Not sure he's done that much at ASU, which goes to show you that 50% or slightly less of the scholarship players have a significant impact at a school. Think about it and the odds. With the number of walkons we are getting 2-4 of them are going to become real good players for us and "they want to be here". We can improve our roster depth and not have the roster churn that the Alabamas and OSU's have.

I've noticed that nearly all the recent Walk-on commits have expressed that playing for the Huskers has been their dream.

If you believe that the attitude and work ethic of the Walk-on population is an integral part of the Husker culture, then this is great news. Coach Frost is populating the locker room and practice field with players who will give everything they have, and hopefully influence and push players with more skill to do the same. They need to push the scholarship players and make them understand what it really means to be a Husker.

I like this a lot.

The enthusiasm for Nebraska by the High School players in Nebr. is off the charts. The smaller schools in Nebraska and the surrounding states are going to have to find players in other states pretty soon. I assume they're going to have to expand the locker room?

If I am a coach at say a Midland, Hastings, Wesleyan I would stay in contact with these walkons, to the point that it is acceptable/legal. Just drop them notes every once in a while saying, hope all is well, it is fun watching you etc. If a kid decides to leave Nebraska after a couple of years then maybe he would stay instate and just go down a level or two and play. I know that is a slippery slope and they need to be careful, but could you imagine a player that has been in the weight room and training table at Nebraska playing for Midland and Jeff Jamrog, he would tear it up (maybe.)

Another athletic walkon! When I see all the walkons, I would ask all of you, would you take say either the last 5-6 announced walkons or the Burbach kid from Lincoln Lutheran? Not sure he's done that much at ASU, which goes to show you that 50% or slightly less of the scholarship players have a significant impact at a school. Think about it and the odds. With the number of walkons we are getting 2-4 of them are going to become real good players for us and "they want to be here". We can improve our roster depth and not have the roster churn that the Alabamas and OSU's have.
I think Bubak is an intriguing example. As I said from the day he was being recruited, he only mattered from the standpoint that he was "ranked the best recruit in Nebraska" by services. His film didn't make anything upsetting when he chose Arizona State. But, if this staff would lose out on Bubak and he was the #1 ranked Nebraska high school player, people would freak out.

If I am a coach at say a Midland, Hastings, Wesleyan I would stay in contact with these walkons, to the point that it is acceptable/legal. Just drop them notes every once in a while saying, hope all is well, it is fun watching you etc. If a kid decides to leave Nebraska after a couple of years then maybe he would stay instate and just go down a level or two and play. I know that is a slippery slope and they need to be careful, but could you imagine a player that has been in the weight room and training table at Nebraska playing for Midland and Jeff Jamrog, he would tear it up (maybe.)
That's exactly what happened back in the 90s and early 2000s. And take it one step further that i've been on my soap box talking about for years on here, if you are the HC of Nebraska, sell to them that you can use this as a "JUCO" but with a better training table playing for a school you love. If it doesn't work out, you had the best weight program, best nutrition, and went against the best competition every day. Nebraska could then have relationships with SDSU, Wayne State, Doane, Hastings, etc., and say "hey this kid is taking off but he would dominate D2/NAIA, you have any money?"

When I see all the walkons, I would ask all of you, would you take say either the last 5-6 announced walkons or the Burbach kid from Lincoln Lutheran?

Bubak went to Lincoln Christian, not Lutheran. Athlete playing QB ... he could throw it a little bit, but mostly was a mismatch in Class C as a runner, ala Tebow. Some of the best athletes are also very, very good basketball players - Bubak was decent, but again was more of a matchup issue for teams.

Honestly I try to look at the athlete and the fit more than how he is ranked in the state, but I can see both sides of it. Bubak, for me, wasn't a big miss. Henrich, conversely, would have been.

I dont think it was any coincidence that when Callahan came in a cut the walk-on's that Chadron State and UNO became top 10 D2 teams.

Always good to have some Bearcats on the team. Tough guys and good athletes. Best wishes to a long and outstanding career as a Husker. GBR

I think Bubak is an intriguing example. As I said from the day he was being recruited, he only mattered from the standpoint that he was "ranked the best recruit in Nebraska" by services. His film didn't make anything upsetting when he chose Arizona State. But, if this staff would lose out on Bubak and he was the #1 ranked Nebraska high school player, people would freak out.

You're right, but the later freak outs are worse when players like: Fant, Ott, Bazatta, Harrison Phillips do so well elsewhere when we under recruit them. I think they (Nebraska) recruited Bubak hard at the time if I remember and he just felt better about ASU. Another tall rangy player from Millard West announced he is walking on yesterday (Huser). I think he is 6'5" 260, so the frame is there. I can tell you from personal experience that I watched Jay Moore, Phil Peetz, Tyler Roach, Trevor Robinson, Jake Long, Spencer Long and Trevor Roach play most of their games at Elkhorn and if I had to rank them 1-7 at the time they played high school, Spencer Long would have been a distant 7, Trevor Robinson probably 1, Jay Moore 2, Jake Long 3, Trevor Roach 4, Phil Peetz 5, Tyler Roach 6, Spencer Long 7. I would arguably say Spencer Long would probably rank 1 or 2 with Jay Moore being 1 or 2. No one thought Spencer Long would do much in college, but he sure did. The point of all of this is having this many walkons, gives us the opportunity to find the next Spencer Long. 4 of the above played in the NFL. There are good players in Nebraska, they just aren't as fully developed with exposure as players in Texas & Florida. So as good of a scholarship class that we have, I'm equally excited about our walk ons. GBR!!

You're right, but the later freak outs are worse when players like: Fant, Ott, Bazatta, Harrison Phillips do so well elsewhere when we under recruit them. I think they (Nebraska) recruited Bubak hard at the time if I remember and he just felt better about ASU. Another tall rangy player from Millard West announced he is walking on yesterday (Huser). I think he is 6'5" 260, so the frame is there. I can tell you from personal experience that I watched Jay Moore, Phil Peetz, Tyler Roach, Trevor Robinson, Jake Long, Spencer Long and Trevor Roach play most of their games at Elkhorn and if I had to rank them 1-7 at the time they played high school, Spencer Long would have been a distant 7, Trevor Robinson probably 1, Jay Moore 2, Jake Long 3, Trevor Roach 4, Phil Peetz 5, Tyler Roach 6, Spencer Long 7. I would arguably say Spencer Long would probably rank 1 or 2 with Jay Moore being 1 or 2. No one thought Spencer Long would do much in college, but he sure did. The point of all of this is having this many walkons, gives us the opportunity to find the next Spencer Long. 4 of the above played in the NFL. There are good players in Nebraska, they just aren't as fully developed with exposure as players in Texas & Florida. So as good of a scholarship class that we have, I'm equally excited about our walk ons. GBR!!
I believe Bubak was committed to us but during the coaching change, he decommitted and went to Arizona State (more factors involved than just the coaching change). Correct me if i'm wrong there. Certainly Riley and his staff went hard after him, as they didn't want to start off on the wrong foot losing a current commit to another P5 school.

To your walk-on comment and how you never really know what you are getting, absolutely. Take that a step further with guys like Brandon Reilly, Heung-Choi, Justin Jackson, and you can really make things not as pivotal on the recruiting trail. Especially since we are recruiting taller guys now, usually if you are that big in high school, you grew so fast you aren't comfortable with your body yet. I also know for a fact that we turned away an all-state lineman that wanted to walk-on while taking his academic scholarship and they said no because he wasn't the right height. Which I found odd, but they definitely know what they want.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back