• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Braising liquid

Squatchsker

All American
15 Year Member
So, once in a while I will pressure cook a big bag of chicken quarters, shred the meat and my wife will eat on it for a week or so. In doing so, I usually get about a gallon of homemade chicken stock. I can it in pints and put it away for cooking. Monday my wife threw a small pork roast in the crock pot with a pint. Then we had chicken, pork, and vegetable stock. So I put it in the fridge as it was tasty and I was going to have it at work for a snack. Last night she used the stock with a small beef roast in the pressure cooker with fresh herbs. I took the liquid and hid it. Tonight, since I just wanted something easy I took the now quart of liquid gold and threw some black beans, some rotel, some small cubed smoked pork loin from the freezer and brought it to a boil. In went some quinoa. Oh, my goodness. It was so good that I am going to have more than I should.

This isn't some sort of innuendo, is it?

Seriously, so you use a pressure cooker? I never have (don't own one). My mom always did and she made a lot of beef and chicken soups (never mixing them) that we've never come close to replicating. After reading this, perhaps I should consider getting one and giving it a try.

One thing I am thinking we have been missing are things like pot roast. A crock pot version is such a poor substitute.

No innuendo. I take my food seriously. Just ask my Dr. We had a small stove top pressure cooker that I picked up at a yard sale for giggles and grins. The results were good, so when our crock pot went kaput we picked up one of these.

upload_2017-1-13_7-55-25.jpeg

It is pretty dummy proof, which is good for me. And it is capable of doing a lot of things. I want to say we got it on sale for like $70. Worth it. Mostly because of the ease of use, and I like making my own stock without having to boil stuff down for hours at a time.

So, once in a while I will pressure cook a big bag of chicken quarters, shred the meat and my wife will eat on it for a week or so. In doing so, I usually get about a gallon of homemade chicken stock. I can it in pints and put it away for cooking. Monday my wife threw a small pork roast in the crock pot with a pint. Then we had chicken, pork, and vegetable stock. So I put it in the fridge as it was tasty and I was going to have it at work for a snack. Last night she used the stock with a small beef roast in the pressure cooker with fresh herbs. I took the liquid and hid it. Tonight, since I just wanted something easy I took the now quart of liquid gold and threw some black beans, some rotel, some small cubed smoked pork loin from the freezer and brought it to a boil. In went some quinoa. Oh, my goodness. It was so good that I am going to have more than I should.
Like. I'm going to try this!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back