• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Boycott Penn state

Status
Not open for further replies.
the offenses are completely different in my mind...USC was doing things that were in an attempt to improve their performance on the field (perks to players brings in more star players, etc...). The abuse at Penn St was not in an effort to improve recruiting, player performance, etc...

I don't necessarily buy this. Covering up Sandusky's abuse was more than likely due to the desire to protect the image and status of the university and program. If they didn't believe there would be negative repercussions for reporting Sandusky, I suspect they would have been much more inclined to report him. Their violation wasn't to bring more star players, etc., but in trying to ensure that they wouldn't lose what they already had.

I don't necessarily buy this. Covering up Sandusky's abuse was more than likely due to the desire to protect the image and status of the university and program. If they didn't believe there would be negative repercussions for reporting Sandusky, I suspect they would have been much more inclined to report him. Their violation wasn't to bring more star players, etc., but in trying to ensure that they wouldn't lose what they already had.

good point

sick people within a program made this happen...not the actual football team.

To answer your questions. If I was a parent I honestly don't know what I would feel. I work with children who have been sexually abused and their have been instances in which the father was sexually abusing the child and physically/mentally abusing the mother. You could fault the mother for not reporting the sexual abuse but on other hand when people are under the control of another individual you can begin to understand that "they had no chance"...so many things are going on in the minds of victims that it can make the logical step that you and I think would be a nobrainer very very difficult. I have also seen incidents in which the other siblings/wife/father had no idea what was going on So in my mind, I would hope I would be able to understand that it was the sick people in control that made this happen and not the people/program they overlooked. (Not saying the other coaches ane players were "abuse" victims, just saying that people in charge in a "prgram/home" can make the rules, etc..)

If this happened at Nebraska, I would still feel the way I do now about this subject

This isn't a an individual. It's a program. If this happened at the department of health and human services, I would want the whole department rebuilt and changed. No way I would want that system to remain intact.

And if this happened at Nebraska I would want the money and favors and lord knows what else is being exchanged (hmmmmmm) to STOP. Wait. Build again. You gotta get the basics right.

the offenses are completely different in my mind...USC was doing things that were in an attempt to improve their performance on the field (perks to players brings in more star players, etc...). The abuse at Penn St was not in an effort to improve recruiting, player performance, etc...

However.... the cover-up at Penn State was done for the good of the football program -- both on the field and financially.

In my opinion, there is nothing worse than when the man in charge is full of lies and deceit -- doing so to protect both his own image and the success of his team.

I could see not punishing the team for what Sandusky did -- but for what Paterno (and Spanier) did, that is highly punishment-worthy.

Last edited:

However.... the cover-up at Penn State was done for the good of the football program -- both on the field and financially.

In my opinion, there is nothing worse than when the man in charge is full of lies and deceit -- doing so to protect both his own image and the success of his team.

I could see not punishing the team for what Sandusky did -- but for what Paterno (and Spanier) did, that is highly punishment-worthy.

This - and then some.

The team (and everyone else associated with PSU) all benefited greatly when their program was considered to be some "shining beacon on a hill." Since they have been exposed to be less than squeaky-clean, I'm afraid it would only be fair that they all suffer along with the program if/when punishment is served. This scenario is without precedent, and a statement MUST be made by someone somewhere that covering up despicable behavior perpetrated by an organization of ANY kind cannot be tolerated. I hope the NCAA and/or the Big Ten come down on them mercilessly. It pains me to say this because I live in the DC area and many of my coworkers and neighbors are PSU grads and fans, and they are all good, honest and thoughtful people, not the smug elitists that the PSU Athletics program and administration have been demonstrated to be (although they may have bought into it to some extent - it appears many have). But I can say without hesitation that if this happened at Nebraska, I would forever turn my back on the program - and college football. As it is, my feelings about this have seriously dampened my fervor for the sport of college football in general, and I never thought I'd say that. It's just gut-wrenching...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back