• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bowl projection

6-6 this season and maybe a bowl. I remember when some who were in the top 20 rankings never went to a bowl game. Now even a 6-6 team can go. We HAVE to win 2 more games.

Quick Lane Bowl
Ford Field, Detroit
Dec. 26, 8 p.m., ESPN

Bonagura: Toledo vs. Miami
Schlabach: Duke vs. Nebraska

Ten 6-6 teams played in bowl games last year. Seven of them won their bowl game:

Last edited:
I'm not counting any chickens. From Massey's prediction system.

If we get the wins to go it doesn’t matter to me if they go to the Charmin Toilet Bowl. We desperately need the extra practice

I hear this a lot, and I know I'm in the minority, but "extra practice" for what? Are you saying that we will have a better team in 2020 because of 2 weeks of practice in December? If that is what you are saying, how do you know that?

I hear this a lot, and I know I'm in the minority, but "extra practice" for what? Are you saying that we will have a better team in 2020 because of 2 weeks of practice in December? If that is what you are saying, how do you know that?
Because literally every coach out there will tell you it’s crucial and I believe they know more about it than anyone on this board arguing otherwise.

Because literally every coach out there will tell you it’s crucial and I believe they know more about it than anyone on this board arguing otherwise.

Sorry Not proven, nor will it ever be. I won't dispute coaches like practices. But I've never heard ANY coaches say pre-Bowl practices make the team even a little better next year, much less that it is "crucial". They want practices to prepare for the Bowl. No problem from me about that. But to prepare for a meaningless Bowl with the idea we'll be better next season when it counts is just whistling past the graveyard.

Sorry Not proven, nor will it ever be. I won't dispute coaches like practices. But I've never heard ANY coaches say pre-Bowl practices make the team even a little better next year, much less that it is "crucial". They want practices to prepare for the Bowl. No problem from me about that. But to prepare for a meaningless Bowl with the idea we'll be better next season when it counts is just whistling past the graveyard.
You’re on an internet football forum, if you’re going to argue every time somebody makes a statement that can’t be proven, you’re going to be very busy.

Here are last years teams that were 6-6 and played in a bowl game:
TeamsAffiliationsResults
Tulane Green Wave (6–6)
Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns (7–6)
American
Sun Belt
Tulane 41
Louisiana 24
BYU Cougars (6–6)
Western Michigan Broncos (7–5)
Independent
MAC
BYU 49
Western Michigan 18
Wake Forest Demon Deacons (6–6)
Memphis Tigers (8–5)
ACC
American
Wake Forest 37
Memphis 34
Minnesota Golden Gophers (6–6)
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (7–5)
Big Ten
ACC
Minnesota 34
Georgia Tech 10
TCU Horned Frogs (6–6)
California Golden Bears (7–5)
Big 12
Pac-12
TCU 10
California 7 (OT)
Baylor Bears (6–6)
Vanderbilt Commodores (6–6)
Big 12
SEC
Baylor 45
Vanderbilt 38
Auburn Tigers (7–5)
Purdue Boilermakers (6–6)
SEC
Big Ten
Auburn 63
Purdue 14
Cincinnati Bearcats (10–2)
Virginia Tech Hokies (6–6)
American
ACC
Cincinnati 35
Virginia Tech 31
Oklahoma State Cowboys (6–6)
No. 23 Missouri Tigers (8–4)
Big 12
SEC
Oklahoma State 38
Missouri 33

Hard to say if a bowl game helped the 6-6 teams this year other than to look at their current record now. But its clear that 7 of the 10 have winning records.

Tulane: 5-3
BYU: 3-4
Wake: 6-1
Minn: 8-0
TCU: 4-3
Baylor: 7-0
Vandy: 2-5
Purdue: 2-6
VT: 5-2
Okie St: 5-3

So you would contend that a football team is better off not practicing than practicing?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back