• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bow Hunters

ksuhusker

In a tree somewhere
10 Year Member
Are any of you guys completely obsessed with Bowhunting? Do you guys prep food plots, mineral sites etc. I have two food plots, 1 is a corn field (that I admire) and the other is a milo field. The milo isn't Roundup ready so has grass growing, but the corn looks amazing and has a little bit of promise already.

20200622_131546_compress6.jpg

Are any of you guys completely obsessed with Bowhunting? Do you guys prep food plots, mineral sites etc. I have two food plots, 1 is a corn field (that I admire) and the other is a milo field. The milo isn't Roundup ready so has grass growing, but the corn looks amazing and has a little bit of promise already.
I exclusively bowhunted for about 20 years. I know your obsession. Your plots look good. That'll be a nice 8 point by fall! I used to plant food plots and had cameras hanging all summer with my old hunting buddy. It's fun to watch the deer grow and pattern them to some extent. We'd go check the cameras every weekend and reload fresh memory cards. Haven't had much chance to do any of that the last several years as I lost access to the land we used to have. :( So if any of you guys in Eastern Nebraska need to get rid of any deer, hit me up. ;)

I'm just a wannabe. Wanting to get a compound bow, but there are too many choices out there. Not as simple as it was when I bought my Bear recurve back in HS.

Plus I still have plenty of tag soup left from last year's rifle season.

Last edited:

I'm just a wannabe. Wanting to get a compound bow, but there are too many choices out there. Not as simple as it was when I bought my Bear recurve back in HS.

Plus I still have plenty of tag soup left from last year's rifle season.
Nothing beats sitting in a tree watching deer so closely. When my son was 8, we had a youth .243 and set out to tag his first deer. We failed, and he asked after the season was over if i could sell the rifle and get him a bow. We did exactly that, had him shooting everyday...he just couldn't get his grouping tight. Took him to the local bow shop and they told him the same thing I'd been saying. Find your anchor point, he did and started grouping withing 4" at 20 yards. We hunted one day and he shot a little 8pt, and he's never looked back. As far as bows, you must get fitted to match your draw length, for a first time bow hunter id go to Craigslist and find a quality bow, Mathews, Hoyt, Bowtech, Prime, Elite and can even stoop to a PSE. I've shot Mathews, Prime and currently have an Elite. All are fast and accurate.

Nothing beats sitting in a tree watching deer so closely. When my son was 8, we had a youth .243 and set out to tag his first deer. We failed, and he asked after the season was over if i could sell the rifle and get him a bow. We did exactly that, had him shooting everyday...he just couldn't get his grouping tight. Took him to the local bow shop and they told him the same thing I'd been saying. Find your anchor point, he did and started grouping withing 4" at 20 yards. We hunted one day and he shot a little 8pt, and he's never looked back. As far as bows, you must get fitted to match your draw length, for a first time bow hunter id go to Craigslist and find a quality bow, Mathews, Hoyt, Bowtech, Prime, Elite and can even stoop to a PSE. I've shot Mathews, Prime and currently have an Elite. All are fast and accurate.
We have a good bow shop close to me. Trying to convince my wife that it's a good investment...

Absolutely obsessed. I'm a military nomad, though, so I'm mostly relegated to public hunting grounds instead of my own food plots. Luckily, here in SW OK we have a pretty good population of deer. They aren't the huge corn fed ones of the north, but certainly bigger than the deer of the deep south.

Just drove 60 miles to an Elite dealer to have my bow re-strung and tuned. Local bow shop guys don't know Elite bows well enough.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back