• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bourbon Cake

KingTM

All Big 10
5 Year Member
Ms. King made a bourbon cake, among various other goodies, for Christmas. It was delicious and I don't even generally enjoy bourbon. I chose Buffalo Trace for it and was put in charge of soaking the raisins and pecans. Big mistake.

20161224_173031_zps0jlkaq24.jpg

She had to take me to the liquor store to get more bourbon. Hell, I thought we were done with it...

It was delicious. I was worried that it would be dry but it was very moist and you didn't have to imagine the bourbon, it was right there. The bourbon ball chasers were the bomb. :thumbsup:

Well where is the recipe or do you have to perform special favors to get it?

Well where is the recipe or do you have to perform special favors to get it?
OK, sorry for not posting earlier, here's the recipe:

• 1 pound seedless raisins
  • 1 cup bourbon (I used Buffalo Trace)
  • 1 cup butter
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 6 large eggs
  • 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 pound or 1 qt. pecan meats, broken
  • Bourbon
  • Cheesecloth
Soak raisins and pecans in 1 cup bourbon overnight (I used two cups and they soaked every drop up, overnight). Cream butter. Gradually add sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each egg. Sift together flour, salt, and baking powder. Fold sifted flour with butter, sugar, and egg mixture. Add pecan and raisin mixture. Mix well. Bake in a bundt pan at 300° for 1 1/2 hours. Cool on a rack. Wrap cake in a bourbon-soaked cheesecloth overnight. Store in an airtight container.

The cheesecloth wrap is an important step and I think it adds to the moistness of the cake. It looks a bit dry but trust me, its not. Good luck and enjoy.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back