• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Born on the Fourth of July movie

Hooked on Huskers

I'm old as a rock
15 Year Member
Second time I watched it tonight. First time was way back in 1990's. I initially thought pure fiction but actually tonight, pretty close to real story .... Ron Kovic life. Born on the Fourth of July film was better than Platoon and Full Metal Jacket (IMO)

Anyway, Cruise is fabulous ....... his greatest performance.

Last edited:

No.

410a3f37-73c6-42d7-8517-0caea46c95e7_text.gif

Last edited:
Second time I watched it tonight. First time was way back in 1990's. I initially thought pure fiction but actually tonight, pretty close to real story .... Ron Kovic life. Born on the Fourth of July film was better than Platoon and Full Metal Jacket (IMO)

Anyway, Cruise is fabulous ....... his greatest performance.

I am not sure how how you can say it is better or worse. It is completely different from either of the other 2 movies. Full Metal Jacket is almost 2 separate movies and Platoon is basically Oliver Stone's view of what he saw in the Vietnam War.

The only thing you can say about the movies is that they are all anti war movies.

I am not sure how how you can say it is better or worse. It is completely different from either of the other 2 movies. Full Metal Jacket is almost 2 separate movies and Platoon is basically Oliver Stone's view of what he saw in the Vietnam War.

The only thing you can say about the movies is that they are all anti war movies.
Of course different plot but I liked true stories. That is why Born on the 4th is a best vs. Platoon & Full Metal.

Top 10 reviewers. All capture the horrors and brutalities of the Vietnam War. I suppose anti war movies ....
  • Born on the Fourth of July
  • Apocalypse Now
  • Good Morning, Vietnam
  • Platoon
  • Full Metal Jacket
  • We Were Soldiers (I never watched it)
  • Coming Home (I never watched it)
  • Casualties of War (I never watched it)
  • Hamburger Hill (I never watched it)
  • The Deer Hunter (I never watched it)
BTW, Good Morning Vietnam was loosely based on real experiences (Adrian Cronauer)

Last edited:

Of course different plot but I liked true stories. That is why Born on the 4th is a best vs. Platoon & Full Metal.

Top 10 reviewers. All capture the horrors and brutalities of the Vietnam War. I suppose anti war movies ....
  • Apocalypse Now
  • Good Morning, Vietnam
  • Platoon
  • Full Metal Jacket
BTW, Good Morning Vietnam was loosely based on real experiences (Adrian Cronauer)
You've never watched the bolded movie? DUDE! It's Iconic. Watch it, if you don't like that movie, I honestly don't know what to tell you.

• Apocalypse Now
  • Good Morning, Vietnam
  • Platoon
  • Full Metal Jacket

I really liked Born on the Fourth of July, because it was a true story and also reflected many of the problems of soldiers who returned; things @Pops has talked about. Also, understand my cousin who saw heavy combat, but was not wounded (but close calls) and had civilian adjustment issues.

I highlighted those that I have seen. "We Were Solders" is a true story, and from a movie perspective is close to the battle scenes of "Saving Private Ryan." I cannot remember if it was based on a book I had read, or if it was an essay.

I also saw "A Bright and Shining Lie" which apparently was a made for TV; I liked the book, interestingly, Daniel Ellsberg & David Halberstam asked that their names not be used in the movie (I wondered why their "characters" were combined and had a different name; I knew who they were from the book). Reading the book was the first time I had heard of "ArmaLite" (Ellsberg would grab an "ArmaLite" and a Jeep and drive around 1962 Vietnam),

I note you left off "The Green Berets," I saw that one, too...;)

Last edited:
I really liked Born on the Fourth of July, because it was a true story and also reflected many of the problems of soldiers who returned; things @Pops has talked about. Also, understand my cousin who saw heavy combat, but was not wounded (but close calls) and had civilian adjustment issues .......
....... I note you left off "The Green Berets," I saw that one, too...;)
My brother-in-law, Vietnam vet. Army I think. Wounded, metal plate replacement in his skull. Apparently no problem with his civilian adjustment.

I watched Green Berets movie a long long time ago. Starring John Wayne.

Last edited:
I really liked Born on the Fourth of July, because it was a true story and also reflected many of the problems of soldiers who returned; things @Pops has talked about. Also, understand my cousin who saw heavy combat, but was not wounded (but close calls) and had civilian adjustment issues.

I highlighted those that I have seen. "We Were Solders" is a true story, and from a movie perspective is close to the battle scenes of "Saving Private Ryan." I cannot remember if it was based on a book I had read, or if it was an essay.

I also saw "A Bright and Shining Lie" which apparently was a made for TV; I liked the book, interestingly, Daniel Ellsberg & David Halberstam asked that their names not be used in the movie (I wondered why their "characters" were combined and had a different name; I knew who they were from the book). Reading the book was the first time I had heard of "ArmaLite" (Ellsberg would grab an "ArmaLite" and a Jeep and drive around 1962 Vietnam),

I note you left off "The Green Berets," I saw that one, too...;)
We Were Soldiers is based on a book written by the (at the time) Commanding Officer of the unit whom first fought a significant battle with the North Vietnamese and an AP writer there at that battle. It was fairly decent in its treatment of reality save for the third and final day when the culmination was Hollywood fantasy.
It is a superb book, a decent movie, and a very important lesson in what can happen when trying to fight a "limited war". It is the soldier whom pays for those limits.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back