• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Boise St With 2 First-Round Picks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Peterson necessarily coached the kids up from 2 star guys into 1st round NFL talent. It might be that...but I think it's more that he has an eye for the diamond in the rough. Other scouts overlook these guys and Peterson doesn't

Doesn't it say something when Boise St has 2 first-round picks and we have zero?

Guess I'm in a brooding mood.

While I would agree this is a bit dissappointing, I always hate when people use the draft and NFL success to measure the success of a college. If draft order really determined success Notre Dame, Ohio St., Texas, and even Miami and USC would have a lot more national titles to show for it. There is a lot of great college players that for one reason or another don't fit the NFL. This seems to be especially true for quarterbacks and linebackers.

While I would agree this is a bit dissappointing, I always hate when people use the draft and NFL success to measure the success of a college. If draft order really determined success Notre Dame, Ohio St., Texas, and even Miami and USC would have a lot more national titles to show for it. There is a lot of great college players that for one reason or another don't fit the NFL. This seems to be especially true for quarterbacks and linebackers.

Alabama wins national championship. Alabama has 4 1st round draft choices. I think that might be a measure of NFL draft and success in college?

If not for injury Crick would've been a first rounder... Dennard too, if not for his off the field issue

BS hasn't taken over college football, despite what the folks who are mesmerized by the blue turf might think.

Sorry but this is definitely extremely colored by red colored glasses. In no way is/was Crick ever a first round pick this season and neither was Dennard.

Only one mock draft had Crick in the first round before his injury, one. Even CBS Sports, which I believe was that one mock draft, states in their current draft profile of Crick that he's simply not an elite level fast and does not get a good first step. After Suh left got the sacks he got because of hard work and basically out working/outlasting the OT, not superior athletic ability. Nobody projects Crick as a guy who's going to get a ton of sacks in the NFL and nobody projects him at DT, they project him ideally at DE in a 3-4. If you're not a guy who's projected to get a lot of sacks in the NFL and have a lot of speed at DT or DE you're not going to go in the first round.

The last time Dennard was even rumored as a possible first round pick was last season. His senior season did nothing but hurt his draft stock. The highest I've seen Dennard go, before this latest bout of stupidity, is the third round. He has a ton of durability questions and because of his fight in the bowl game and this latest fight character questions to deal with now too. Third round at best but more likely fifth round.

The only potential first round pick Nebraska had this year is David. I'm not all that surprised he didn't go because many teams think he's too small for a LB. The Giants were the best possible team for him to go in the first round but they surprised everybody and took Wilson because they need a #2 RB.

Alabama wins national championship. Alabama has 4 1st round draft choices. I think that might be a measure of NFL draft and success in college?

Bingo!

It may be nice to think that the number of players taken in the NFL draft don't matter, just like a lot of people wanted to believe Bo's statement about the star rankings not mattering, but the fact is that both matter. He Who Shall Not be Named's recruiting strategy was right, he just had a staff that couldn't coach or design a workable scheme for college football.

If for no other reason, the number of players a school sends to the NFL matters because elite level players aren't just looking at being a college football player. They're looking at being a college football player in preparation for going to the NFL. Even non-elite players want to go to the NFL. I have no doubt that if Bo asked his players in a meeting who wants to play in the NFL every hand in the room would go up. I also have no doubt that as at least a small part of his recruiting pitch Bo sells how many players he and Nebraska have sent to the NFL, particularly players who are in the NFL right now.

Last edited:
Ill with 2 is the most shocking

I've been thinking this all morning... tOSU, PSU, both Meechickens, and Nebraska end up with none, but Illinois with two? Wow.

Also if you put any stock in recruiting rankings, isn't it interesting Texas, Oklahoma, FSU, Florida, and USC were not represented?

I've been thinking this all morning... tOSU, PSU, both Meechickens, and Nebraska end up with none, but Illinois with two? Wow.

Also if you put any stock in recruiting rankings, isn't it interesting Texas, Oklahoma, FSU, Florida, and USC were not represented?

After almost the entire second round now, four players from Illinois have been selected. In the second round a OG went to KC and S went to New England.

Illinois has 4 or 5 picks in top two rounds?

It's still debatable, but I think the zooker has nudged a noise ahead of callllly for worst cfb hc ever.

Illinois has 4 or 5 picks in top two rounds?

It's still debatable, but I think the zooker has nudged a noise ahead of callllly for worst cfb hc ever.

Four picks in two rounds. I was just thinking the same thing about Zook. This tells me he had no problem getting top talent, he just couldn't coach them worth a darn.

Not that we're the only team without a first-round pick (Miami, Oklahoma, Ohio St didn't have any either), but I'm just surprised by the respect that Boise St is getting in the draft.

The NFL coaches do not care where they played; all they care about is, how they play! ;)

Pederson developed some 2 & 3 star prospects into NFL talent. That deserves a kudos. I'm not as puzzled as many about us not having a 1st rounder this draft as one, we only had 3 guys as preseason all americans at the beginning of the season with the best of them considered too small at his position at that position. Another was battling a injury all season that he received in fall camp, whom also just recently got himself into some trouble, with the 3rd whom was coming off a midseason injury that hindered him from putting up the best numbers in front of scouts in the post season. Last years draft we lost how many guys to the draft and free agent list. Not sure what everyone else expected, but it's not big surprise to me.

Next year we will loose just one guy whom I think will probably go maybe 3rd round or high 2nd in Rex. Our team is very young. In a 2014 & 2015's draft I think we will be loosing quite a few guys so hopefully we will be able to reload the seasons after.

Yes, things are really looking good for 2016 and beyond...hang in there, it just takes a little time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back