• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Boise St With 2 First-Round Picks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking this all morning... tOSU, PSU, both Meechickens, and Nebraska end up with none, but Illinois with two? Wow.

Also if you put any stock in recruiting rankings, isn't it interesting Texas, Oklahoma, FSU, Florida, and USC were not represented?

Did any of those teams make the top 10 this year?

Last edited:

Sorry but this is definitely extremely colored by red colored glasses. In no way is/was Crick ever a first round pick this season and neither was Dennard.

did you read my first sentence? (I'll give you Dennard, although several mocks had him as high as #40 - pre-arrest)... just no talking some folks off the ledge evidently.

apologize for seeing the glass above empty.

Last edited:
Alabama wins national championship. Alabama has 4 1st round draft choices. I think that might be a measure of NFL draft and success in college?

Don't get me wrong, you need good athletes to win but 4 and 5 stars and 1st and 2nd picks don't necessarily translate to the best college players or teams. If that was the case how come Illinois didn't win the Big 10? Is Chris Petersen a great coach because he takes 2 and 3 star kids and wins or is he a horrible coach because he had so many high draft picks but didn't even win his conference this year? If you want to measure how good college players/teams are, look at how good they are in college.

did you read my first sentence? (I'll give you Dennard, although several mocks had him as high as #40 - pre-arrest)... just no talking some folks off the ledge evidently.

apologize for seeing the glass above empty.

Yes I saw your first sentence. Regardless of injury Crick hasn't been regarded as a first round pick since Suh was on the DL. Had he been able to do so, Crick probably would have been best served coming out after that season. People still thought he was the "next Suh" at that point. Even though he got 9.5 sacks in 2010 without Suh he got a lot of them as coverage sacks because he outworked the OT and the DBs kept the QB from throwing the ball.

I'm not trying to say Crick stinks or anything like that. He is what he is, a fine college football player. But to be a first round draft pick you've got to be an outstanding player with outstanding physical skills. Crick doesn't have outstanding physical skills, he makes the most out of what he's got. He's not Suh (nobody is), and he's not Adam Carriker as a DE either. If he gets drafted by a team that runs a 3-4 I think he's got a chance to contribute as a DE. If somebody that runs a 4-3 takes him neither the team or Crick will be happy with that.

Don't get me wrong, you need good athletes to win but 4 and 5 stars and 1st and 2nd picks don't necessarily translate to the best college players or teams. If that was the case how come Illinois didn't win the Big 10? Is Chris Petersen a great coach because he takes 2 and 3 star kids and wins or is he a horrible coach because he had so many high draft picks but didn't even win his conference this year? If you want to measure how good college players/teams are, look at how good they are in college.

Your question about Illinois has been answered. Ron Zook is perhaps the worst coach in recent college football history. Even worse than Callahan. If you've got that many kids go in the first two rounds of a draft and can't win games that means two things. One, you've got a bad scheme and didn't put your players in the best position to be successful and two, your position coaches are good but your coordinators are awful.

Your question about Illinois has been answered. Ron Zook is perhaps the worst coach in recent college football history. Even worse than Callahan. If you've got that many kids go in the first two rounds of a draft and can't win games that means two things. One, you've got a bad scheme and didn't put your players in the best position to be successful and two, your position coaches are good but your coordinators are awful.

For that matter, Zook also handed Urban Meyer a loaded stable of top notch players at Florida -- but unlike Meyer, Zook had no clue how to coach his talent into winners.

Yes I saw your first sentence. Regardless of injury Crick hasn't been regarded as a first round pick since Suh was on the DL. Had he been able to do so, Crick probably would have been best served coming out after that season. People still thought he was the "next Suh" at that point. Even though he got 9.5 sacks in 2010 without Suh he got a lot of them as coverage sacks because he outworked the OT and the DBs kept the QB from throwing the ball.

I'm not trying to say Crick stinks or anything like that. He is what he is, a fine college football player. But to be a first round draft pick you've got to be an outstanding player with outstanding physical skills. Crick doesn't have outstanding physical skills, he makes the most out of what he's got. He's not Suh (nobody is), and he's not Adam Carriker as a DE either. If he gets drafted by a team that runs a 3-4 I think he's got a chance to contribute as a DE. If somebody that runs a 4-3 takes him neither the team or Crick will be happy with that.

so you're dismissing his 2nd team All American season? Crick was the pre-season big ten defensive player of the year, he would have been a solid first round pick had he left following his junior year - I stand by my statement, if not for injury - many things would have been different.

...A unanimous first-team All-Big 12 selection last year after earning second-team honors in 2009, Crick was a second-team AP All-American and surprised many when he bypassed the NFL draft to return for his final season. He enters the 2011 season on most All-America lists.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/31361/big-ten-rankings-no-1-jared-crick

Last edited:

Well, every analyst had Crick as a mock first round pick before the injury his senior season, and a lot of his sacks were not coverage sacks his senior year. I would say about half and half. And in draft order at the beginning of the season the order of where they were going to be picked was Crick (high first round), Dennard (was ranked 2nd CB and Kiper and McShay even were saying he was better than Prince who was picked in first round), and then David. It's no coincidence that the guy that was healthy all season was picked before all of those guys....

We may have a first or second round pick next year....don't sleep on Stafford, safeties can have monster years in Pelni's defense. Also, Steinkuhler is ranked as high as 4th best DT going in to this year, so a big year or a good combine performance could raise him on the list.

Zooks recruiting classes per rivals over the the last 6 years have averaged 30th to 50th, EXCEPT for 2007 and 2008 when he had the 20th and 23rd ranked classes and landed 2 5-star and a bunch of 4-star kids. Havent had time to see what the 4 or 5 Illinois draftpicks star ranks were coming out of high school.

Last time I was watching Boise had 6 picks not sure how many they ended up with, Did their QB get selected?

Kellen Moore went undrafted but signed as a free agent with the Detroit Lions, who need a 3rd QB. Might be a good fit for him; I actually think he'll have a shot at competing for the starting spot there. He's played 53 college games and because of that experience, he should at a minimum be able to float around the league as an emergency QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back