• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bobby Newcombe

He was talented, but as evidenced by his lack of a pro career, he wasn't quite the "next level" talent he seemed to think he was. Regardless, it's all past history. If he were here now under the same circumstances you can bet he'd be in the transfer portal.
Agreed. A real barn burner but it probably says something when the guy who replaces you while you are still there wins the Heisman. But Bobby had, IMO, a great Nebraska career. 3 passing TD's, 12 rushing TD's, 3 receiving TD's, and 3 punt/kick return TD's. Almost 2300 all-purpose yards. Still a HS coach in AZ.

Quitter? The guy stood up to a weekly pounding in Frank’s offense. The guy was tough as nails. I will just leave it at that.
Physically tough, yes. Mentally? I'm not convinced. I'll leave it at that.

Last edited:

If the stories are true and Eric bailed and took his ball back to Omaha it says something. If Frank had to go after him, what promises were made to get him to come back? And was it a coincidence that Bobby switched positions shortly thereafter? We will never know.

Physically tough, yes. Mentally? I'm not convinced. I'll leave it at that.
If the stories are true and Eric bailed and took his ball back to Omaha it says something. If Frank had to go after him, what promises were made to get him to come back? And was it a coincidence that Bobby switched positions shortly thereafter? We will never know.
I never questioned his athletic ability, just his character.
This post is special

This post is special
Sorry I don’t have your rose colored glasses on. Was Crouch a great Husker? Yes, absolutely. He won a Heisman trophy. But when he hit his first bit of adversity he took his ball and went home. That shows his character. That is my point. It took his coach driving to his house and begging him to come back. Don't know why that is so hard to believe.

Sorry I don’t have your rose colored glasses on. Was Crouch a great Husker? Yes, absolutely. He won a Heisman trophy. But when he hit his first bit of adversity he took his ball and went home. That shows his character. That is my point. It took his coach driving to his house and begging him to come back. Don't know why that is so hard to believe.
Rose colored glasses? Lol. You just said you will never know what happened. Yet you question the guys character. It’s just interesting to me why you and Ed would think you have a handle on someone’s character that you have most likely never met. It’s a pretty serious thing to question someone’s character.

I don’t know what happened between Solich snd Crouch. All I know is the kid was one of the fastest quarterbacks we’ve ever had. I know he almost got his head ripped off in Manhattan Kansas, he ran over an Iowa defensive back, and when he got a crease he was gone. He never was a good throwing Qb but he had excellent instincts as a runner. He was better than any quarterback we’ve had since. Armstrong and both Martinez’s aren’t even in the ballpark. I’ve always understood why people where upset with the evolution of the offense with Crouch but that’s not his fault.

I never understood why people don't link the articles when they start a thread about one.

C

Last edited:
Rose colored glasses? Lol. You just said you will never know what happened. Yet you question the guys character. It’s just interesting to me why you and Ed would think you have a handle on someone’s character that you have most likely never met. It’s a pretty serious thing to question someone’s character.
You do realize he did the same thing in the NFL...right?

I found Bobby Newcombe absolutely electrifying. I vividly recall him living up to the description, "jello on springs" when we recruited him. Thought he was excellent as a QB, kick returner and as a wide receiver. I will never forget his two clutch catches in the waning seconds of the game against Colorado. He hadn't seen even a whiff of a pass all day. When it counted, he hauled in two key passes, setting Nebraska up for a walk-off game-winning field goal with no time left on the clock. He will ALWAYS be a Husker Hero in my book.

You do realize he did the same thing in the NFL...right?
I just can’t bring myself to criticize a guy for not wanting the NFL. Crouch really wanted to be a quarterback. Once he realized that wasn’t going to happen he made a decision. There’s players right now every year quitting football at all levels. The Wisconsin linebacker that was a first round draft pick quit on San Francisco. Almost all of them say the long term affects aren’t worth the money to them. I have to respect that. Football is very physical and more kids are choosing not to play it. We have seen a huge increase in basketball and soccer numbers in Nebraska. We had trouble fielding a team for football as our numbers have been shrinking every year. Most the kids who’s parents I’ve spoken with don’t want to be anything other than quarterbacks or wide receivers. Most that we made linemen just quit and said it was boring. It’s a different generation. Things change and I’m ok with it. They had a huge video game tournament on ESPN this weekend. It draws more fans than almost any Olympic sport. They sell out stadiums so people can watch others play video games. It hurts me to say this but Wrestling doesn’t get the numbers video games championships do.

I don’t know what happened between Solich snd Crouch. All I know is the kid was one of the fastest quarterbacks we’ve ever had. I know he almost got his head ripped off in Manhattan Kansas, he ran over an Iowa defensive back, and when he got a crease he was gone. He never was a good throwing Qb but he had excellent instincts as a runner. He was better than any quarterback we’ve had since. Armstrong and both Martinez’s aren’t even in the ballpark. I’ve always understood why people where upset with the evolution of the offense with Crouch but that’s not his fault.
Which all contributes to the narrative that he should’ve been a RB or WR … would’ve been better for his post collegiate career AND would’ve been better for the T-E-A-M.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back