• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bobby Newcombe

He was talented, but as evidenced by his lack of a pro career, he wasn't quite the "next level" talent he seemed to think he was. Regardless, it's all past history. If he were here now under the same circumstances you can bet he'd be in the transfer portal.
Yeah just like the lack of EC’s pro career.
Since when does an NFL career define “next level” talent … signed Tommy Frazier.

Oh I hadn’t heard about that. Doesn’t entirely surprise me, though.

I always had a favorable impression of Newcombe during his NU tenure - I thought it was very selfless of him to offer to switch positions. Honestly, except for a couple of shining moments, he kind of disappeared. I always felt like he was kind of given the shaft, though the way he handled it after leaving was not exactly mature.
I don’t think he offered to switch as much as he was told EC was the starter and that he’d get a chance play more quickly by being the WR/KR.

Bobby N. had some incredible highlights, more than most recievers for sure. But that guy was never the same because of the original injury. He lost some of the slippery elusive, quickness. And he still had lots.

Newcombe got his wheels back part way through his senior year. Knee surgery at that time took a year and half to come back from...seems like they're turning it around faster these days.

You can say what you want about Bobby, but he never quit. (twice)

I've had a few interactions with EC over the years. Strange dude. A bit bipolar and eccentric. He can be very condescending one minute and then act like your best bud the next. He's really a strange dude. Love what he did for the Huskers for sure, but I can sort of understand the feelings from Newcombe.

I have no doubt Crouch would have been transfer portal bait if he hadn't won the QB position. Out of the two, BN may have been a little better of a passer (maybe), but EC was a way better runner. That was the better fit for the offense Solich was running at the time. Personally, I would have rather seen BN transfer than bad mouth his team after he left. And again, he wasn't as good as he apparently thought he was. Whether you get a load of playing time at the college level or not, if you get drafted and have the right stuff you'll make a team at the next level. And before anyone starts pointing out EC's pro career (or lack there of), I agree there are some similarities between the two.
I'll get excoriated for this, but I eventually came to the belief that Crouch was a somewhat of a quiter. Maybe high maintenance is a better term.
I just like to think of both of them as former Huskers who did their best while in Lincoln. I wish them both good health and success.Jmo.Keep the faith.GBR.

Bobby would have been a terrific QB for Nebraska under a better coaching staff fit. Frank had no clue how to run a passing game and hence the morphing into crouch left, crouch right, crouch on the draw offense we ended up with going all the way through Jamal lord. (Checkers anyone) Newcombe was not the runner Eric was and once it became obvious that is what the offense was going to be the QB battle was over.
Before we even think about bashing Bobby Newcombe, let’s remember how quick Eric crouch would have “entered the transfer portal” had he not ultimately ended up with the job.

The bolded all day long. I know we were spoiled with Dr. Tom’s offense and I had expected some of that knowledge to rub off on Frank. Unfortunately it didn’t, I’ll leave it at that. I believe Bobby was recruited by Osborne and probably would’ve been the starting QB in TO’s offense. I also think he would’ve been a very good Duck-R in Frosts offense. In today’s world I think Bobby probably would’ve entered the transfer portal due to coaching change, not because of Crouch.

Dr Robert Newcombe now resides in Chandler AZ and is the head football coach at Casteel High School.

The bolded all day long. I know we were spoiled with Dr. Tom’s offense and I had expected some of that knowledge to rub off on Frank. Unfortunately it didn’t, I’ll leave it at that. I believe Bobby was recruited by Osborne and probably would’ve been the starting QB in TO’s offense. I also think he would’ve been a very good Duck-R in Frosts offense. In today’s world I think Bobby probably would’ve entered the transfer portal due to coaching change, not because of Crouch.

Dr Robert Newcombe now resides in Chandler AZ and is the head football coach at Casteel High School.

Excellent for Dr. Newcomb.

Most fans forget that these players are such young unfinished kids irrespective of their tremendous athletic talents. They make the same selfish decisions that all kids who are 17-18 -19 or 20 make, but are under a white hot unforgiving spotlight. Not many posters on this board were finished products at that age capable of making long range decisions in a thoughtful manner. I'm sure both Eric and Bobby would have acted differently had they possessed the varnish of time and experience they presently are wearing. Currently both of these fine young men are reflecting well on their Nebraska lineage. Dr. Newcome is well thought of and successful in a league that is one of the new football recruiting hotbeds in America. I am less familiar with what Mr. Crouch is doing now but I am sure is is doing it well. As I look back at those years, it was the of the end golden age for all that was Nebraska football. I miss those days.

Newcombe was my preferred option for quarterback then and I agree with others regarding Frank's reliance on Crouch's wunderkind running ability and it's overall negative effect for offensive scheming in the long term. I do think Newcombe took longer to recover from the PCL tear than was obvious as an TV observer. He was not a quitter and remains one of my favorite players. I wouldn't call Crouch a quitter, but he did seem high maintenance. He's not one of my favorite players despite his success and contributions to those teams.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back