• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Bo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toby and Bruce

Recruit
2 Year Member
Probably already been said. If so, delete or merge.

1. his ego can't take having qualified assistants, or

2. he can't recruit, or

3. qualified assistants don't want to work for him, or

4. all of the above, plus some

2. he can't recruit, or

He can recruit... he's got competent assistants... and there's nothing wrong with the talent on this team.

They have chosen to implement the wrong defense and plugged players (they thought could run it) who are ill-suited to play it.

He'll either learn and fix the problems, or he won't and he'll get fired.

He can recruit... he's got competent assistants... and there's nothing wrong with the talent on this team.

They have chosen to implement the wrong defense and plugged players (they thought could run it) who are ill-suited to play it.

I agree GR. The only thing I'd add is inexperience in some spots with the coaches, i.e. Beck's play calling in the 2nd half.

When I look at the score....it doesn't seem so bad....when I look at the stats....things seem bad....then I remember it was just one game. the next two games won't tell me much, unless we don't shore things up. It will be a long week of reading about the game and seeing the panic mode in action. The hard part is we went into this game assuming that UCLA sucked....now we don't know if they are good or if we sucked. I'm not sure if UCLA has a game that will prove much to me....unless they beat Oregon or USC.

:2cents:

I get tired of hearing this. We have people who live on Denial Blvd. Put the scheme excuse aside. Football is fundementally about running (we are slow) tackling (we can't or don't) blocking (we are improving but still are inconsistent). Football is about reaching down and making plays. We don't make enough plays. We dropped 3 int's last night. We missed 3 dozen tackles each half. They had play after play that most would define as luck (I am thinking of two huge pass receptions). That isnt luck, its called players stepping up and making plays. We dropped two huge passess that ended drives for us. They didnt. Our players are not making enough plays. Could we have coached better on both sides of the ball? no doubt. To sit hear and act like we all the talent we need and all we have to do is put the right people in the right place in order to win is just silly.

I get tired of hearing this. We have people who live on Denial Blvd. Put the scheme excuse aside. Football is fundementally about running (we are slow) tackling (we can't or don't) blocking (we are improving but still are inconsistent). Football is about reaching down and making plays. We don't make enough plays. We dropped 3 int's last night. We missed 3 dozen tackles each half. They had play after play that most would define as luck (I am thinking of two huge pass receptions). That isnt luck, its called players stepping up and making plays. We dropped two huge passess that ended drives for us. They didnt. Our players are not making enough plays. Could we have coached better on both sides of the ball? no doubt. To sit hear and act like we all the talent we need and all we have to do is put the right people in the right place in order to win is just silly.

I think we have the players to make plays on the defensive side of the ball, but you're not seeing those guys play because they can't execute the current scheme. Thus you are making an assessment on only the players you are seeing play.

I think we have the players to make plays on the defensive side of the ball, but you're not seeing those guys play because they can't execute the current scheme. Thus you are making an assessment on only the players you are seeing play.

and you are making a speculation that the players you haven't seen are miraculously better than those playing. Kinda goes both ways, don't you think? Not disagreeing or agreeing, just pointing out that both of you are stating opinions.

and you are making a speculation that the players you haven't seen are miraculously better than those playing. Kinda goes both ways, don't you think? Not disagreeing or agreeing, just pointing out that both of you are stating opinions.

My opinion is based on a lousy defense last year and one that just gave up 600 yards plus last night.

I have one simple question: If Bo was coaching the Bruins and Mora was coaching the Huskers last night, who do you think wins the game?

I totally get what you're saying, and yes it is purely speculation on my part as there are probably only a couple of guys on this whole board that ever see a live practice. But our current D is not passing the eye ball test.

Many of the guys that we have recruited were pretty highly ranked in HS. Good athletes. Even the ones that are current starters that we are questioning. What has happened to them since they got here? Are they not being coached up, or are they playing slow because the scheme is too complicated? Did the coaches just miss on these guy's in recruiting? I don't know.

If a guy is a good athlete and he's not succeeding, he may not be a good fit or the scheme is holding him back. Either way, I would think Bo wants to win games and he needs to try something to make his team better. Bo needs to make sure his defensive scheme isn't holding his players back and get his best athletes on the field whether that be a current starter or a guy riding the pine. If swallowing your pride (scheme) and simplifying is necessary, so be it.

I have one simple question: If Bo was coaching the Bruins and Mora was coaching the Huskers last night, who do you think wins the game?
Apples to oranges in my opinion. We will never know. We would have to identify the problem with NU before you could make an educated guess.

Go back and look at the 2010 team. Look at the defense. Who was there that was SOOOOO amazing that were missing? Pierre Allen? Thad Randle? In the short time Crick played last year, the line STILL stunk. I don't believe that losing Crick was the demise of the defense... and I don't believe that everyone got worse all the sudden. That line was 10000 times more effective.

Now look at the linebackers: Matt May, Will Compton, Sean Fisher, Matt Holt, Thomas Grove and Eric Martin. Even sight unseen, do you believe that Zaire Anderson, David Santos and Michael Rose ARENT BETTER THAN MAY AND HOLT (walk-ons??:)

Lastly... the secondary. Yes, Gomes, Dennard, Prince and Haag were studs. But Austin Cassidy and PJ Smith still held down center field and Im not sure that our secondary alone was what made that defense world beaters.

So... again I ask... do you really think its a lack of talent? Or could it be something else?

It has been, but it is nice to see others that recognize the reality of our plight.

Possibly...it is true that he seems to prefer "yes men" that share precisely his ideas. These types don't bring new ideas to the table.

2. he can't recruit, or

I think that is unfair. I think they can recruit. Not as well as the previous staff, but better than Frank's staff. The bigger problem is in coaching up the players. This staff doesn't seem to have any talent in doing that.

probably unfair to say that, I don't think he has gone after any top-notch assistent coach talent. How would we know if they'd work with Bo unless we offered/hired a few?

Lots of other issues, but as we all know Bo is on "learning mode." I wish he were a quick study.

why does Nebraska not have any highly regarded assistants or coordinators? Is it Nebraska, or is it Bo? Is it because Bo doesn't go after them, or is it because they don't want to work with Bo? Do we know if he has ever gone after a quality assistant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back