• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bo Pelini to LSU? Update: Pelini says "No"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bo was a really good coach at Nebraska. He clearly had to deal with a crappy situation with the university leadership at the time. He won a lot of games despite that and he graduated his players. He clearly cared about the kids too.

He also did himself no favors with his behavior and he lost some games in horribly embarrassing fashion. He came up with the perfect defense to stop Big 12 offenses just in time for us to move to the B1G. Unfortunately, that defense was a joke against certain teams like Wisconsin.

Giving up 400 rushing yards to one player in only three quarters has to be the most embarrassing stat I’ve ever seen in a football game. There’s no way he did that on purpose. If he did, that would make me really hate the guy.

As it is, I appreciate Bo for what he did at Nebraska and I don’t hate him. For a long time (probably until 2013), I even loved him. With more support in the athletic department, he definitely would’ve at least won a conference championship or two (got robbed in 2009). But he didn’t have the support he needed and he decided to exit in the least professional way possible, dropping an atomic bomb in the locker room on his way out to make sure whoever took the job next was going to have a hard time uniting the team. I don’t think it was in the best interest of the players at all to get everyone together for a meeting where he just bashes the athletic director. Even if the AD is horrible, which we know he was, what kind of position does that put the players in? I understand he hated his boss, but the players have to continue to interact with the AD and that just creates a horrible environment. Even if Bo was “right” about Eichorst, that is no way to conduct yourself. That is childish at best.

But hey, we won a lot of football games too, and as we now know, that is NOT easy at Nebraska. I wish he had better support when he was coach and he might’ve been able to do some amazing things. At least 9 wins every year was pretty great in hindsight, even if it always came with 4 losses.

So yeah, a lot of mixed feelings about Bo. It’s easy to see why everyone ends up fighting about him all the time.

Good post. I never outright said he tried to lose. I don’t think he did all he could. He is smart enough to stop a jet sweep and and off tackle play when run over and over. Bo wanted out of here long before he was fired. I think it was difficult for him to go to work. He hated the frauds in charge. He had some bitterness. That was evident. I think he reached a point of outright not giving a damn to a point. I don’t know, but some of those blowout losses looked like it was half ass mode. He wanted to be fired. There is no argument on that. I think he is a damn good coach.
Bo's character is actually a lot higher than it would be if he had actually done what you are saying he did, weirdly, in order to defend his character.

Things I know from personal observation, from friends in Lincoln, and from a friend with a kid that played for Pelini:
  1. He was a screaming idiot at the end of the Fresno St. game when the Huskers were up by like 50 points and had freshmen playing defense because Fresno St. was moving the ball. Him and JP looked and sounded like crazed fools.
  2. He was often a jerk to people, not just sportswriters.
  3. Most of his players loved him.
So there you go and I'm thinking he won't dis the high school talent in Louisiana, so it could work.

Bo Pelini would still be the Huskers coach had the officials not put another second on the clock in the title game against Texas. Tom Osborne hired him over Turner Gill which had to be a tough decision. If Osborne had any say in choosing the AD who replaced him he’d have hired a football man not a puppet lawyer.
He tried hard to loosen up( holding a cat above his head before a spring game in response to some twitter folks) but the criticism was relentless. The Omaha press never let up and he locked horns with at least two of them.
He should never have been fired he was a very good coach with a temper and look around college football there’s plenty like him. He didn’t suffer fools like Pearlman and Eichorst easily. He wasn’t afraid to trust young coaches he gave Papuchis and Eckler a job both have been successful with other Power 5 schools. He was loyal to his players and he won with the players he recruited.He’s the last coach to have anything close to a pass rush and sent his share of players to the NFL. He deserved better.
So much hero worship in this post.
Bolded in black: Some of the meanest people on the planet can do self deprecating humor. That does not make him any less angry.

In red: There are plenty with Tempers. Not many like him. His temper bordered on abuse. That is what we saw in public. Who knows what may have happened behind closed doors. Who other than Bo have you seen get back to back unsportsman like calls. It is pretty rare yet it happened to him. how many coaches go so overboard that they cost their school a $10,000 fine. That happened to Bo as well. Most coaches figure out when you are called for USC that you calm down. Oh and BTW the back to back USC calls happened at YSU. So is he trying to get fired there as well?

In Blue: Was it that he wasn't afraid or was it that no experienced coordinators and position coaches wanted to work for him? Coaches talk. If in private he was half the lunatic he portrayed in public. Who wants to work for a potentially abusive boss.

So much hero worship in this post.
Bolded in black: Some of the meanest people on the planet can do self deprecating humor. That does not make him any less angry.

In red: There are plenty with Tempers. Not many like him. His temper bordered on abuse. That is what we saw in public. Who knows what may have happened behind closed doors. Who other than Bo have you seen get back to back unsportsman like calls. It is pretty rare yet it happened to him. how many coaches go so overboard that they cost their school a $10,000 fine. That happened to Bo as well. Most coaches figure out when you are called for USC that you calm down. Oh and BTW the back to back USC calls happened at YSU. So is he trying to get fired there as well?

In Blue: Was it that he wasn't afraid or was it that no experienced coordinators and position coaches wanted to work for him? Coaches talk. If in private he was half the lunatic he portrayed in public. Who wants to work for a potentially abusive boss.

He's so mean and abusive that his players loved him. Weird.

The ONLY reason the yelling on the sidelines should have been a factor in him being fired is it always seemed to rattle his own team and make them play even tighter.

The ONLY reason the yelling on the sidelines should have been a factor in him being fired is it always seemed to rattle his own team and make them play even tighter.

Exactly. Why would you want a coach who always loses it and then his team in return loses it. I noticed you did not answer the question about YSU. Is he trying to get fired there as well? He is still angry and much like at NE, once he get's further away from another guys recruits his play gets worse.

Bo Pelini would still be the Huskers coach had the officials not put another second on the clock in the title game against Texas. Tom Osborne hired him over Turner Gill which had to be a tough decision. If Osborne had any say in choosing the AD who replaced him he’d have hired a football man not a puppet lawyer.

He tried hard to loosen up( holding a cat above his head before a spring game in response to some twitter folks) but the criticism was relentless. The Omaha press never let up and he locked horns with at least two of them.

He should never have been fired he was a very good coach with a temper and look around college football there’s plenty like him. He didn’t suffer fools like Pearlman and Eichorst easily.

He wasn’t afraid to trust young coaches he gave Papuchis and Eckler a job both have been successful with other Power 5 schools. He was loyal to his players and he won with the players he recruited. He’s the last coach to have anything close to a pass rush and sent his share of players to the NFL. He deserved better.
In red - I wonder in retrospect whether TO regrets that decision.

In blue - Also a wonderful revisionist topic ... If a Bill Moos type individual would have replaced TO as AD would BP have been more successful. It did seem BP's most successful years were when TO was at the helm supporting him.

In orange - I'd argue this was one of his failings. A good leader surrounds himself/herself with exceptionally talented people. Neither Papuchis nor Eckler were deserving of the positions they got when they first joined the Huskers. Could make the same case about BP's brother as well.

To be honest, this is the biggest reason why I finally threw up my hands and said enough is enough. Those kids may have loved him, but there was a fear of failure, and when times got tough, his teams puckered up big time. They also, like their coach, were very undisciplined and played out of control. A team is a reflection of its leadership. I was not proud of Bo from that perspective.

If that’s the case then why did the guy ask bo about the fans that left? The stadium wasn’t full when they came back and beat Ohio state nice try though.
The guy was baiting him into saying something ridiculous and he was way too upset to realize it. Fans left to dry off and by the end of the game the stadium was at least 80% full.

Exactly. Why would you want a coach who always loses it and then his team in return loses it. I noticed you did not answer the question about YSU. Is he trying to get fired there as well? He is still angry and much like at NE, once he get's further away from another guys recruits his play gets worse.

I didn't answer because I don't care. I liked Bo and thought he did a good job. He got fired and I'm glad he's gone. You're way too invested in a guy who hasn't been the coach at NU for 5 years.

To be honest, this is the biggest reason why I finally threw up my hands and said enough is enough. Those kids may have loved him, but there was a fear of failure, and when times got tough, his teams puckered up big time. They also, like their coach, were very undisciplined and played out of control. A team is a reflection of its leadership. I was not proud of Bo from that perspective.

True, but there's a big difference between not being proud of him and thinking he's a disgrace. I truly think Bo is a good guy who cared deeply about his players, and did a lot of good things. Unfortunately, he has a bad temper and that has hurt him. I'm glad he's gone and I wish him well.

True, but there's a big difference between not being proud of him and thinking he's a disgrace. I truly think Bo is a good guy who cared deeply about his players, and did a lot of good things. Unfortunately, he has a bad temper and that has hurt him. I'm glad he's gone and I wish him well.
I like him and wish him well. I just think the team takes on the image of the head coach. It is why I believe he is better suited as a DC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back