• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bo Pelini SI story

Status
Not open for further replies.

wcbsas

All Big 10
20 Year Member

“All the way back to when I was the defensive coordinator at Nebraska (in 2003), there was always an adjective in front of my name,” he continues. “The fiery Bo Pelini... the this Bo Pelini and that Bo Pelini. It got blown out of proportion. It was like every picture taken of me was me yelling at a ref. Most people never got to know what I stand for and who I really was.

“If somebody wants to win,” Pelini concludes, “they should call me.”

I hope he does well and gets another shot.

Don't want another protracted conversation about why he rubbed people raw, but I liked the guy. He needed to learn some things about recruiting and staff management, but he could coach and I don't really mind some fire.

I liked the guy, granted he had a tough time winning the big games but that takes time...i.e TO took awhile to beat OU....was he a bad face for the program? I can see how people say that, not going to disagree..but I do miss him and his consistent 9-10 win seasons. He had some decent wins under his belt, lets not forget 2009 OU, 2010 Mizzou, on the road at Wash and OkSt in 2010....overall I think his mistake was us against the World mantalitly....but he did have a point...the media did have it out for him, (but kind of brought it upon himself) GBR and wish him the best

No reason to wish him anything but good luck and hope the best for him. Will always be sad to consider some of the negatives surrounding his tenure and those will probably always be held in contrast with the positive things he accomplished.

Three years and he will be head coaching somewhere. Hope it isn't in the B1G. Would we want him coaching a team we play annually? Probably most wouldn't.

I think so too. And I'll leave it at that (for now). Don't really see the value in another 40-page thread on BP.

He will be a great DC for LSU. For a while, then he'll get his shot again. Hope he learned a few things at NU and YSU.

As to the 40 page 'Bo' thread.....this really is the place, since it's a thread about......well.....'Bo'.

GBR!

I was one who was very excited about the Bo hire and I remember watching his presser when he got here and I got chills. He did a lot of really good things, and he let the fishbowl that is Lincoln get to him a bit and I am sure he went out way different that he thought he would. Best of luck, Bo.

He's shown that when he has talent like Glenn Dorsey and Ndamukong Suh that he can put together a pretty darn good defense. I think he does get a shot again at being a HC but many ADs will not want to deal with him so it'll have to be the right fit.

It was the spittle. We can handle yelling, Devaney yelled (a lot), Osborne yelled (a little, frowned a lot) but Pellini sprayed when he yelled. That was a bridge too far.

Last edited:
He's shown that when he has talent like Glenn Dorsey and Ndamukong Suh that he can put together a pretty darn good defense. I think he does get a shot again at being a HC but many ADs will not want to deal with him so it'll have to be the right fit.

The 'Fit' piece may be the biggest question mark.

Outside looking in....and especially if he reverts to form as LSU's DC, he will be an attractive hire in the right situation. The question is what AD at what school is in a position to take a guy with baggage, but knows how to coach?

I hope he can find a guy who he'll listen to and vice versa and also learn from his mistakes. IF he can do that, I don't want to play one of his teams in the future. He lands a D1 job down the road and sees 'Nebraska' on an upcoming schedule and you can bet your backside he's going to spend an inordinate amount of time dialing up a defense that will be a problem. No question in my mind he'll die with an axe to grind when it comes to Nebraska.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back