• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Bo doing a little flirting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bob Stoops had a program that was best in the country for a while. Then he suffered some bad years.

Mack Brown endured the same. And I'd bet quite a few others did, too.

If TO had stayed, and kept his group of assistants, he would have suffered a downturn, too (though not quite as severe, mainly because he would have had 30 years of HC experience to help stave it off). CFB is somewhat cyclical. NU just avoided the down cycle for a long time, mainly because we didn't panic and overreact when things weren't going well. That changed with the guy you supported for an extension took over as AD.

And URBAN at UF, and Bobby at FSU, Miami, Tennessee, Penn State, SC, and ND. Except for NU's 40+ year run at or near the top consistently, no team has escaped an occasional "gravitation toward mediocrity." I am at a loss as to why some fans think we were either special or bullet proof.

Last edited by a moderator:
it's tough to fully embrace and have faith & patience with the new guy when he essentially states that for the past 40 years you've been doing it wrong. Failing to even try to understand the environment, entirely discarding the offense & reducing the size of the walkon program strained (and broke) program ties throughout the state = burned a lot of bridges (as well as boats). I said before he was hired, BC's an ego maniac & a terrible leader who destroyed the Raiders from the inside out & admonished them as the dumbest team in America. BC was condescending from day 1 in Lincoln & seemed to always come off as implying that Nebraskans should just study soil content and feel grateful that he was excellent in all areas.

I guarantee the best ones don't happen franticly, via post it notes or on runways ... as evidenced by the month long process leading to the eventual hire of an unemployed program wrecker.

That said, I've always supported the University of Nebraska financially as well as being a fiercely loyal fan... even during the Callahan error.

Thoughtful post, I agree with everything you say about Callahan. I thought it was curious hire, I was obviously frustrated at times, but I still fully supported him because I wanted the Huskers to win. And, yes, I was excited about 4-0 - because, I am a Nebraska Cornhuskers fan.

And URBAN at UF, and Bobby at FSU, Miami, Tennessee, Penn State, SC, and ND. Except for NU's 40+ year run at or near the top consistently, no team has escaped an occasional "gravitation toward mediocrity." I am at a loss as to why some fans think we were either special or bullet proof.

Because "we're the best fans!!!!1!1!!!!!"

Only way I can figure it.

Thoughtful post, I agree with everything you say about Callahan. I thought it was curious hire, I was obviously frustrated at times, but I still fully supported him because I wanted the Huskers to win. And, yes, I was excited about 4-0 - because, I am a Nebraska Cornhuskers fan.

IMO, most Husker fans...even the more rabid, or blind, or with their heads in some darkened place...either consciously or unconsciously whistled through the graveyard the entire time Billllllly was HFC. His first year, a losing year, and the weak recoveries displayed in '05 and '06 (thanks almost solely to Zac Taylor), showed the folly of what he offered at NU. It was so frappin' obvious. To wit, there were other considerations applicable to "great" fans who rallied behind a "house of cards" cheer like "4-0, BABY!!!" :rolleyes:

Bob Stoops had a program that was best in the country for a while. Then he suffered some bad years.

Mack Brown endured the same. And I'd bet quite a few others did, too.

If TO had stayed, and kept his group of assistants, he would have suffered a downturn, too (though not quite as severe, mainly because he would have had 30 years of HC experience to help stave it off). CFB is somewhat cyclical. NU just avoided the down cycle for a long time, mainly because we didn't panic and overreact when things weren't going well. That changed with the guy you supported for an extension took over as AD.

So, when are they going to fully break from that cycle? Bo's done a great job, but NU still isn't a national power yet (in reality or perception), and by that I mean winning conference championships, going to BCS bowls or playing in MNC games. Being a national power is what NU is supposedly all about, right?

P.S. Don't go off on a 'you must want Bo fired' tangent because that couldn't be further from the truth. Just asking you to break out the crystal ball and lend me your wisdom, insight and foresight.

So, when are they going to fully break from that cycle? Bo's done a great job, but NU still isn't a national power yet (in reality or perception), and by that I mean winning conference championships, going to BCS bowls or playing in MNC games. Being a national power is what NU is supposedly all about, right?

P.S. Don't go off on a 'you must want Bo fired' tangent because that couldn't be further from the truth. Just asking you to break out the crystal ball and lend me your wisdom, insight and foresight.

I think we are a year, and probably two, away from a bcs game. I have no idea about e national championship... Way too many variables.

That's your definition of national power? By that definition, we weren't a national power during most of the TO era. Solich met that criteria at a higher percentage than TO (50%).

I would say any time you can crack the top ten in the rankings, you are perceived as a national power. We reached that point at some point in every season from 1970-2003 (yes, even 2002). Then we hit the skids from '04-'09. Bo has done it the last two seasons. So by this definition, I would say we are back on track.

EDIT: TO was actually slightly better than Frank at your criteria. He did it 13/25 seasons, while Frank did it 3/6.

Last edited:
That's your definition of national power? By that definition, we weren't a national power during most of the TO era. Solich met that criteria at a higher percentage than TO (50%).

I would say any time you can crack the top ten in the rankings, you are perceived as a national power. We reached that point at some point in every season from 1970-2003 (yes, even 2002). Then we hit the skids from '04-'09. Bo has done it the last two seasons. So by this definition, I would say we are back on track.

Agree, if you mean year end rankings - I just didn't list it with the other variables. Solich met the criteria at a higher percentage than TO with TO's players. Once they were gone, well...

USF spent time at #2 a few years ago. I wouldn't call them a national power then or now. Houston was in the Top10 this year as well.

IMO, most Husker fans...even the more rabid, or blind, or with their heads in some darkened place...either consciously or unconsciously whistled through the graveyard the entire time Billllllly was HFC. His first year, a losing year, and the weak recoveries displayed in '05 and '06 (thanks almost solely to Zac Taylor), showed the folly of what he offered at NU. It was so frappin' obvious. To wit, there were other considerations applicable to "great" fans who rallied behind a "house of cards" cheer like "4-0, BABY!!!" :rolleyes:

Yeah, how dare a fan get excited about the team they cheer for being 4-0... :rolleyes:

He said "perceived as a national power". Rankings are perceptions. A top ten ranking is a perception of national power at the time of the ranking.

But I realize that once the data is exposed on that one, it doesn't meet certain agendas. So I guess we stick with Nebraska being a national power under TO only about half the time. :(

Man, I really hope I don't become a cranky old sourpuss when I get old like some of the folks on here. Maybe if ya put your teeth in, shave your ear hairs, grab your favorite blacks socks and white sandels and head outside for a nice walk in the cool winter air, you'll feel refreshed and not so damn bitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back