• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Bo doing a little flirting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because urban was RED HOT and was going to have his pick of the top of the top. As I recall he was reported to have his sights set on ND and Willingham wasn't long for the golden dome at the time. He never would have considered NU because he was going to be considered for ND, Fla, etc. type jobs.

Oh, you are saying NU could have scored a mid-major who was not red hot or had his pick of the top teams with job openings?

A. don't think so, because our one prime example stated a perception that was shared around the coaching community.

B. pedey would have never ever gone for a second tier HC, up and coming or not. did he even interview a mid-major HC?

yup...getting a coach would not have been an issue if we would have been going after the right thing (quality) instead we wanted a "name"

Sure, simple as that. Fire a 75% winning percentage coach, and start grubbing around for somebody's coordinator. Said this before...by week 4 of the process the comic relief was all that was left. "Wow hire," "gravitation," and "vision" had given way to farce. NU got what it deserved.

Last edited by a moderator:

Actually, Bo is 10-6 according to Corpus. So yeah, I imagine the writing is on the wall. ;)

Frank took over the best program in the country, and by the time he left, we weren't near the best program in the country. Pelini took over a program on its knees.

Frank took over the best program in the country, and by the time he left, we weren't near the best program in the country. Pelini took over a program on its knees.

Bob Stoops had a program that was best in the country for a while. Then he suffered some bad years.

Mack Brown endured the same. And I'd bet quite a few others did, too.

If TO had stayed, and kept his group of assistants, he would have suffered a downturn, too (though not quite as severe, mainly because he would have had 30 years of HC experience to help stave it off). CFB is somewhat cyclical. NU just avoided the down cycle for a long time, mainly because we didn't panic and overreact when things weren't going well. That changed with the guy you supported for an extension took over as AD.

are you implying that Urban Meyer was the only "quality" coach to be gotten in 2003?

I'm arguing that the sentiments he expressed were most likely shared by the majority of top quality HC candidates (i.e. what NU fans feel entitled to).

Bob Stoops had a program that was best in the country for a while. Then he suffered some bad years.

Mack Brown endured the same. And I'd bet quite a few others did, too.

Both Stoops and Brown were the ones that took their programs to the top.

Frank did not. He inherited a Corvette and soon turned it into a Taurus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back