• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Blow Up the BCS (and everything else, too)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of curiousity, do you have any nominations for who would be on that "blue ribbon committee"?

In theory, I don't have an issue with humans selecting the at-large teams and seeding. In reality, the odds of finding 5-9 universally accepted authorities without any sort of agenda, bias, or conflict of interest (perceived or otherwise) would be next to impossible.

Next, we have to deal with the can of worms opened with the ACC champ (Clemson) gets an automatic bid while Stanford, Arkansas, Boise, Houston, K-State, Va Tech, and others lay claim to the two at large slots.

I don't know how they choose the March Madness selection committee but they generally seem to do an ok job. I know it's apples and oranges (easier to pick 34 at-larges than two), but I would think the same process could work here. As is the case with your proposal I think the key here is the primary value placed on winning your conference. Do that and no need to worry about getting in. Frankly, I would not have too much sympathy for the gripes put forth by the at-large teams left out...just like Va Tech seemingly every year in hoops, your team had ample opportunities to win your conference and you didn't get it done. I would be hesitant to have any more than that.

What I like is the auto conference berth plus the two at-larges combines the "win and you're in" mentality of a playoff system with the subjectivity of the current system with the at-large bids...thus allowing for a "correction" if necessary.

For example, let's say Georgia upsets LSU in the SEC title game and it's on a controversial call. Without at-larges LSU stays home, which (last night's performance aside) would have seemed unfair given their body of work over the course of the season. In this scenario they get in, but they probably take a hit in seeding (every game actually counts!)

(with the exception of Boise) All those at-larges you mention did not win their conference, Clemson did. They all had their chances, they failed to capitalize.

There is no reason why LSU couldn't schedule Bama, Florida, Arkansas or anybody else in the non-conference season. Ditto for Ohio State.

But why would they? Play 4 or 5 cuppycakes, win your conference and you're in the playoff's. I think we are just a few years away from 4 superconferences, with the conference champions playing in a plus one format.

But why would they? Play 4 or 5 cuppycakes, win your conference and you're in the playoff's. I think we are just a few years away from 4 superconferences, with the conference champions playing in a plus one format.

In this system, the non-conference results do not bear weight on if you make the playoffs - the conference results do. Non-Con comes into play when you start talking about higher seeds and home games (two things that every school would want). The seeding process will be set up that it rewards teams for playing a tougher non-conference schedule.

In this system, the non-conference results do not bear weight on if you make the playoffs - the conference results do. Non-Con comes into play when you start talking about higher seeds and home games (two things that every school would want). The seeding process will be set up that it rewards teams for playing a tougher non-conference schedule.

So scheduling good teams 4 or 5 years in advance would become very important in regards to home field advantage.

Nice work laying out the proposal & can't argue with the math ;)

perhaps pair up divisions to create some additional regional interest? (& wind up with 8 regional champs?)

---
overall it seems like some boring divisional "races" & the meaningless "pre"-season + simply win your division mantra ... sounds like NFL light.

No thanks :2cents:

Last edited:
For example, let's say Georgia upsets LSU in the SEC title game and it's on a controversial call. Without at-larges LSU stays home, which (last night's performance aside) would have seemed unfair given their body of work over the course of the season. In this scenario they get in, but they probably take a hit in seeding (every game actually counts!)

They count, barely. Next proposal is to rename the FBS to NFL Farm League. Because that's all we'll have.. Just another NFL season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back