• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bill Moos is considering allowing alcohol at Husker football games in the suites and loge levels.

I wonder what the first lawsuit would be for if they allowed alcohol and someone was in an accident after the game. There are enough options before the game and if someone wants to sneak it in that is their business, again I think the negatives outweigh the positives. If you need a beer that bad to enjoy the game/or get through it, then stay home or at the tailgate, plenty of time to drink before.

I like the alcohol free atmosphere, as beer at games generally makes it less family-friendly. JMO.

(I'm thinking of the 2006 CCG vs. OU at Arrowhead. Drunkards near us nearly got in a fight).

Also seems like you see viral videos of fights in stadiums that are pro sports FB stadiums.

i dont see this as a big issue either way. Younger crowds or crowds in the haymarket or tailgaiting walk into the game drunk already. Whether its sold inside or out will not change that. Once they are in, many wont buy much because Im sure itll be expensive. And then there will be the ones that show up sober and will have a few but probably not cause trouble.
l.
At the same point in time, its somewhat unnecessary to have acohol sales. So if they added alcohol or not, seems no big deal either way

i also see both sides to the arguement of none or all. Why only allow the rich to enjoy a game with a beer? Seems silly.........
At the same point in time, people pay more for the suits and the donations so some extra bonus's seem reasonable.
Its mostly a non issue IMO, except for those like Ron Brown or TO that are anti - alcohol and Im sure will say its a horrible idea

Last edited:
It's a horrible idea. Why change what has been a very successful program by permitting people to get drunk before they dirive home to Omaha or Fremont or Garand Island in inclement weather. My guess is we will lose our reputation as good friendly crowd, and I kind of like that reputation. It doesn't take a lot of drunks to muck it up for everyone, and there is zero chance that one can limit alchohol sales to just some wealthier patrons and forbid it to others.

I personally have no issue with having beer in the stadium. Good or bad I can control/handle what I drink and beer is rather benign in my opinion. I recently went to a game at Fenway and was able to buy about 4 beers the whole time I was there. Who gets drunk off 4 beers in 3 hours? I'm going to a soccer game tonight. You buy a beer on the way to your seat, then about 20 minutes later from the guy walking up and down, then another at halftime, then they quit selling in about 20 minutes before it ends. So I might have 3. Hard to even wait in line for a 4th. I go to NBA games on occasion. They sell straight up liquor. Expensive and a walk to get to. If you came to a game just to drink you're wasting the tickets and a lot of time and money. Never really seen anyone get drunk at games. Small minority that controls the decision.

If its only for a select few in premium seating, well, so what. I would vote for the whole stadium however.

You only rent beer.

If they sell beer in the stadium, access to and from seats and to bathrooms will have to be upgraded.

There's been games I've gotten there an hour before kickoff, and stayed until my section cleared, 30-60 min after final gun. And I never got up to pee. If I had a beer, I'd be falling over everyone in my row to go in and out several times during the game.

You only rent beer.

If they sell beer in the stadium, access to and from seats and to bathrooms will have to be upgraded.

There's been games I've gotten there an hour before kickoff, and stayed until my section cleared, 30-60 min after final gun. And I never got up to pee. If I had a beer, I'd be falling over everyone in my row to go in and out several times during the game.

That's actually a really good point. From some sections, if not most, it's a hike to the bathroom. Would definitely change some of those bathroom dynamics. Last game I went to I left my seat at the start of halftime, and by the time I got back I missed the kickoff. It would be worse with beer perhaps.

Of course Moos wants liquor in the suites. That way he’ll blend right in.

TO doesn’t even condone medical marijuana. Giving the suites ‘legal’ alcohol at Memorial Stadium? I see that as one heck of PR battle between Moos and Ozzie.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...dium-ncaa-where-you-can-drink-beer/528530002/

It's not as if this is a crazy concept that no one has tried.

A decade ago, the number of top-tier Division I schools selling booze to the masses at their football games was less than a dozen. Heading into the 2018 season, 52 out of 129 Football Bowl Subdivision programs have turned on the taps at either on- or off-campus venues, national media reports and additional Des Moines Register reporting shows.

Moral high ground? It's as if Pollard hasn't figured out what kind of binge drinking goes on during the tailgate experience, and ISU does have a very good tailgate experience. Nevermind they now sell alcohol in club seating. Anyone ever had any issues at a CU home game? If it happened before 2018 it wasn't because of alcohol sales inside the stadium, regardless of whether booze is sold inside the binge drinking will happen outside the stadium. If you want this moral high ground thing to be a legitimate argument you will have to ban drunk people from entering the stadium.

Pollard further touted a family-friendly niche in a 2015 TV interview, and he said looking at gameday police reports showed him there were “enough idiots that do things that make you go ‘My gosh, what were they thinking?' And to put on top of that alcohol throughout the stadium would get rid of any moral high ground."

Paying up for an experience is expected in the entertainment industry, if you don't sell alcohol in club seating you may as well be lighting money on fire.

We’ve polled just about everybody, and the under-40 fan expects phenomenal food and drink at every experience,” Jones said. “You better have that. The old days of popcorn and hot dogs, if you want that young crowd to come, are gone. Younger adults are economizing on everything but food and drink.”
So it makes sense that culture-conscious schools with big budgets and bigger profiles take steps such as almost-club-level atmospheres and limited craft beverage experiences to appease that growing segment of fans. As it grows, Jones predicts more schools will tiptoe further to the edge of embracing alcohol for the masses.

I'm guessing, and I did just say guessing, a lot of the push back would come from old money donors who want to pretend they are sitting on the moral high ground as they pull the bottle of Jack out from under the sink.

Of course Moos wants liquor in the suites. That way he’ll blend right in.

TO doesn’t even condone medical marijuana. Giving the suites ‘legal’ alcohol at Memorial Stadium? I see that as one heck of PR battle between Moos and Ozzie.

Any chance you have a twin brother who walks around in clown pants and doesn't understand the basic fashion faux paux of mixing stripes?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back