• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bill Moos is considering allowing alcohol at Husker football games in the suites and loge levels.

I have now been to a few stadiums where drinking was an option and have yet to see an issue with it. Even Alabama allows alcohol in their club seating. They have a "pour room". You have an assigned locker and request what you want in the locker before the game. You have to go into the pour room, transfer the booze of your choice to a red solo cup and proceed to pretend like you aren't drinking booze. All of the mixers (soda etc) are right outside the pour room.

1. alcohol has not been needed to sell out the stadium. revenue has not been a major issue at Nebraska
2. can anyone guarantee the roads will remain as safe after the games
other than that could care less

I tailgate in Champions so there is plenty of beer there but I can see why others would want it. I wasn't for it at the CWS but that turned out to be less of a hassle than I thought it would be. It's probably a good revenue source but I would prefer it stays out of the stands.

It's only a matter of time before there are alcohol sales at Memorial Stadium. It's too much money to leave on the table - both in terms of actual sales revenue and increased new and upgraded season ticket packages.

My guess is it will start as an expanded version of the Champion's Club concept - basically an in-stadium beer garden with access tied to donations.

From the front page: Bill Moos is considering allowing alcohol* at Husker football games in the suites and loge levels. The article is behind a paywall so I can't read the story, but...

I'd rather not have alchohol in Memorial Stadium, but I'd rather have it everywhere than just for a select few. Total BS if that happens.
I agree 100%
If you sell it to some, sell it to all

I have now been to a few stadiums where drinking was an option and have yet to see an issue with it. Even Alabama allows alcohol in their club seating. They have a "pour room". You have an assigned locker and request what you want in the locker before the game. You have to go into the pour room, transfer the booze of your choice to a red solo cup and proceed to pretend like you aren't drinking booze. All of the mixers (soda etc) are right outside the pour room.
That is actually a brilliant way to handle it.

Image matters. All it took was a handful of idiot frat guys to hang one Sal Aunese banner, and we still hear that as an example of how we're just like everybody else; that was nearly 30 years ago. We still talk about the Colorado student section being cleared in 2005. It needs to be handled in such a way that it doesn't leave a black-eye if some small group of fans goes all Lord-of-the-Flies on us.

As for those saying that we have plenty of money ... seriously? The exact same people would have thrown their s4!t if it had come out that we couldn't hire Fred Hoiberg (or Scott Frost) because we were outbid by some other school. The general rule of thumb in all things finance is that if you have enough revenue now, you better not stop looking for new sources because the world doesn't stand still. If there's a boat-load of money to be made off of including alcohol in suites, etc., take the freakin' money. If Joe Schmoe in Section ZZZ, Row 280, Seat 983 thinks that it's unfair that they get alcohol, and he doesn't, go donate a couple million dollars, and they'll find a way for Joe to have his alcohol, too. Nobody seems to mind the extra money that comes in from the boosters otherwise.

Be honest: Don't you know some of both? I'd bet most folks reading this have that sort of mix at every extended family get-together.

@Smoker can attest, I drank a boat load of beer at the Minny tailgate last fall and didn't behave like a CU fan in the least.

The chair through his windshield was purely to increase ventilation on his drive home.

That is actually a brilliant way to handle it.

Image matters. All it took was a handful of idiot frat guys to hang one Sal Aunese banner, and we still hear that as an example of how we're just like everybody else; that was nearly 30 years ago. We still talk about the Colorado student section being cleared in 2005. It needs to be handled in such a way that it doesn't leave a black-eye if some small group of fans goes all Lord-of-the-Flies on us.

As for those saying that we have plenty of money ... seriously? The exact same people would have thrown their s4!t if it had come out that we couldn't hire Fred Hoiberg (or Scott Frost) because we were outbid by some other school. The general rule of thumb in all things finance is that if you have enough revenue now, you better not stop looking for new sources because the world doesn't stand still. If there's a boat-load of money to be made off of including alcohol in suites, etc., take the freakin' money. If Joe Schmoe in Section ZZZ, Row 280, Seat 983 thinks that it's unfair that they get alcohol, and he doesn't, go donate a couple million dollars, and they'll find a way for Joe to have his alcohol, too. Nobody seems to mind the extra money that comes in from the boosters otherwise.
Yeah the pour room is not a bad idea, I say we get @Hville to handle that business at the stadium. Already has the experience.

I've never had a duplicate post before, so I need to fill this in with something....

How's this?

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back