• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Biggest recruiting misses in Huskers history

To be successful I would much prefer a strong passer and average runner over a strong runner and average passer. If you think the latter is going to be more successful in the Nebraska offense that’s your prerogative I just chose to believe you are wrong.
What kind of quarterbacks has Nebraska had in its most successful seasons?

There’s no reason for me to wish it’s true because he would’ve never had the success at Nebraska that he had at LSU. I just laugh at posts like yours that through the years get more and more exaggerated.

True but there is no doubt he would have elevated NU to a winning season and maybe even 9 wins.

C

To be successful I would much prefer a strong passer and average runner over a strong runner and average passer. If you think the latter is going to be more successful in the Nebraska offense that’s your prerogative I just chose to believe you are wrong.
Depends on the strengths of the Oline to a degree. Adjust to the talent you have and develop it. You could put Tom Brady behind our line last year and he would have been out with an injury within 3 or 4 games. Doesn't do much good if you are on the bench injured.

If you are suggesting we totally change our offensive identity you might have a point. Until that point in time occurs I will stand by my post.
I'll even modify it for you... what kind of quarterbacks has Nebraska had in its most successful seasons in the 21st century?

And
I'll even modify it for you... what kind of quarterbacks has Nebraska had in its most successful seasons in the 21st century?
If you are suggesting what a Frost/Whipple offense needs is an average passer and a great runner, have at it. If that's what we are looking for I would contend we possibly have that QB in Smothers.

Doesn’t really matter if pelini offered or not he wasn’t the head coach. Insert Riley as the coach of that recruiting class. Then frost passed on him as well. Dumb mistakes by both coaches.
I don't understand why you're giving Pelini a pass on this. Seems like Riley is the only Nebraska coach who actually tried to get Burrow but he only had a month to make it happen. Can't fault him for that. Meanwhile, Pelini had the entire 2014 season (and earlier) to offer Burrow. That's a HUGE miss.

And clearly Frost screwed it up too. He basically bet his career on one QB.

And

If you are suggesting what a Frost/Whipple offense needs is an average passer and a great runner, have at it. If that's what we are looking for I would contend we possibly have that QB in Smothers.
I'm saying that we've had a lot more success with that kind of offense.

I'm saying that we've had a lot more success with that kind of offense.
Then if you want to argue against my statement preface it by first stating your desire to change the offense we run. Isn't it kind of obvious that bringing in Troy Aikman to run the Barry Switzer Oklahoma offense was kind of square peg round hole? Would you expect success if you put Tommie Frazier/Eric Crouch/Scott Frost/Taylor Martinez/Jammal Lord in a Mike Leach offense?

Last edited:
Then if you want to argue against my statement preface it by first stating your desire to change the offense we run. Isn't it kind of obvious that bringing in Troy Aikman to run the Barry Switzer Oklahoma offense was kind of square peg round hole? Would you expect success if you put Tommie Frazier/Eric Crouch/Scott Frost/Taylor Martinez/Jammal Lord in a Mike Leach offense?
Where did I say I wanted to change the offense? We currently run a variation of a spread offense that requires a quarterback to be a good runner. It sounds like you want to sacrifice that for... what, exactly?

Comparing their first 4 seasons, Adrian Martinez was actually a better PASSER than Kenny Pickett. Martinez had a better completion percentage, and he had more yards on fewer attempts. They had a similar TD-to-INT ratio.

Pickett:
711/1177 (60.4%), 7984yds, 39 TD, 25 INT
Martinez:
670/1055 (63.5%), 8495yds, 45 TD, 30 INT

On top of that, Martinez had nearly 2300 yards rushing and 35 TDs, compared to Pickett's 568 yards and 15 TDs.

It wasn't until Pickett's 5th season that he finally broke through as a passer. Prior to that, he was less effective (statistically) than the type of guy you don't want to have at Nebraska.

Can't argue with the results as far as the record goes. But we also may have hit the ceiling of that offense as well. During the Tmart and Armstrong years when we had to pass we couldn't get it done. Honestly I don't care which way the offense goes as long as they succeed.
Taylor Martinez (a guy I didn't care for very much) and Tommy Armstrong seemed to do ok. I'm not sure what your statement is based on.

I think we all want a successful offense. The best way to get there is what's being discussed.

Where did I say I wanted to change the offense? We currently run a variation of a spread offense that requires a quarterback to be a good runner. It sounds like you want to sacrifice that for... what, exactly?

Comparing their first 4 seasons, Adrian Martinez was actually a better PASSER than Kenny Pickett. Martinez had a better completion percentage, and he had more yards on fewer attempts. They had a similar TD-to-INT ratio.

Pickett:
711/1177 (60.4%), 7984yds, 39 TD, 25 INT
Martinez:
670/1055 (63.5%), 8495yds, 45 TD, 30 INT

On top of that, Martinez had nearly 2300 yards rushing and 35 TDs, compared to Pickett's 568 yards and 15 TDs.

It wasn't until Pickett's 5th season that he finally broke through as a passer. Prior to that, he was less effective (statistically) than the type of guy you don't want to have at Nebraska.
Cut down on some of the mistakes and Martinez is perfect for the offense we currently run.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back