• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

BIG10 Talent pools

It's fascinating. Nebraska fans are really smart when it comes to why Wisconsin and Iowa have been beating us with less talent, as they come with "those guys know who they are, have a system, and recruit to it." But then we offset that when I see message board folk begging for us to switch from a 3-4 or asking "can a spread offense work in the B1G?" Other things like "we don't have the talent to run a 3-4" when we are recruiting better than other teams in our conference like Wisconsin who run a 3-4 is just the icing on the cake for me.

Continuity. Let's get it.

I would hope that most of us have learned that lesson by now.

It's fascinating. Nebraska fans are really smart when it comes to why Wisconsin and Iowa have been beating us with less talent, as they come with "those guys know who they are, have a system, and recruit to it." But then we offset that when I see message board folk begging for us to switch from a 3-4 or asking "can a spread offense work in the B1G?" Other things like "we don't have the talent to run a 3-4" when we are recruiting better than other teams in our conference like Wisconsin who run a 3-4 is just the icing on the cake for me.

A lot of times I see it as desperately trying to figure out why Nebraska isn't good anymore. Anything small that they can hold onto that makes it easier to digest.

There's no great mystery. Wisconsin and Iowa haven't found some secret formula that we don't know about. It's like you said, continuity. I'd be curious to see what a decade of top 20 recruiting classes and an intact Scott Frost coaching staff would look.

Last edited:

This is the only way things get better. Nebraska fans have got to understand it is not a quick fix. I have said it a dozen times on this site. Wisconsin and Barry Alvarez were building that team when no one in Nebraska was paying attention. Nebraska was busy winning NC while he was doing it. For 30 years Wisconsin has been doing basically the same thing and has got very good at doing it. Iowa has been doing the same thing for 20 years and have got very good at it.

Nebraska fans like to say they don't want to be Iowa. They don't want to go 8-4 every year. Right now I would take a 2-3 years of 8-4. You have to be good before you can be great. It is going to take time.

I don't remember USC having 4 losing seasons in five years or going nearly 20 years without a conference title. I would agree Helton / USC have underachieved somewhat with all the talent they have... but not to the level NU has underachieved.
Actually I would say USC has massively underachieved under Helton just like they with every other coach not named Carrol since John Robinson left the first time.

Comparing the talent level at Nebraska and USC isn’t even close. Nebraska has underachieved but the talent level at USC is closer to say Penn St or Florida or Texas another massively underachieving team.

Actually I would say USC has massively underachieved under Helton just like they with every other coach not named Carrol since John Robinson left the first time.

Comparing the talent level at Nebraska and USC isn’t even close. Nebraska has underachieved but the talent level at USC is closer to say Penn St or Florida or Texas another massively underachieving team.

Texas is towards the top of underachieving teams. They have every advantage imaginable, and can't win the Big 12. There is no reason they should ever land outside the top ten.

I don't remember USC having 4 losing seasons in five years or going nearly 20 years without a conference title. I would agree Helton / USC have underachieved somewhat with all the talent they have... but not to the level NU has underachieved.

Regardless of who the coach is at Nebraska, there will be recruiting challenges (which have been discussed on this forum multiple times). However, USC is smack dab in the middle of fertile recruiting grounds and consistently lands top 5/10 recruiting classes. The link below shows the class rankings from 2015-2019, where USC has the 5th highest average class ranking (compared to Nebraska which was 24th). Nebraska had definitely underperformed, but to have the 5th highest rated players based on recruiting rankings, and to go 5-7 and 8-5 the last 2 years, when the 4 teams ahead of you in those rankings have all been in the playoffs at least once, is a much greater underachievement IMO.

Different ways to look at it I suppose. USC probably should win 10 or 11 games most years based on the talent they get and who they play against... and they usually end up with 7-9 wins. NU probably should win 8 or 9 games most years based on the talent we get and who we play against... and we have been in 4-6 range for most of the last five years.

Both teams have clearly underacieved recently. I think we can agree on that.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back